Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

*Sigh...*

edited June 2014 in Vent
<span style="color:#400080">So I've been sort of hanging in the shadows of VP for the past week, most days only getting on for a few minutes to check my boarding and events. Sorry if I've neglected you guys or if I missed something...<br><br>My grandmother lives alone in Florida (grandfather died a few years ago) and in the past couple months has been getting more and more forgetful. The doctor says it's just "normal" memory loss, not Alzheimer's or anything, but it's gotten so bad that she's been getting lost on her routine trips to the grocery store etc. It's got everyone in my family pretty stressed out.<br><br>It came to a head this past weekend. Her neighbor saw her leave the house around 8am Saturday, supposedly on her way to some picnic, and then she just went missing for a few days. She never showed up to the picnic, and nobody could find her or get in contact with her. The police and everybody were out looking for her. Then she randomly just showed up back at home around 10pm on Monday. She's never been the type to stay out overnight or go on spontaneous trips, and she hasn't really been able to account for where she'd been for three days.<br><br>Nobody really knows what to do :| </span>
forumbanner_zpsa9ecc997.png
BBB Kennels: *~* Training *~* Breeding *~* Sales *~* Showing *~* Boarding *~*

Comments

• I imagine that's really stressful. Very, VERY scary, too! A lot of things can happen in three days, and her not remembering any of that is concerning, I wouldn't call it normal... I wonder if maybe she'd want to hire a caretaker of some kind? I don't know much about these types of situations, but no one wants a confused old lady wandering in Florida all alone. :| <br><br>Good luck, I hope the situation changes. I especially hope your family is able to get a little more information on her weekend and why her memory is the way it is.
    ekews2.jpg
  • <span style="color:#400080">Yes it was very scary... My husband and my mom and I had booked a flight (we live in North Carolina) to go down there and help look for her, and were actually at the airport when we got the call saying that she had arrived home. We're trying to figure out what to do. She can't move in with my mom because she'd have to walk up and down stairs and she has back and hip issues, and my mom can't afford to retire early to move down with her. She's just too stubborn to move in with me and my husband (she doesn't want to intrude) so it's looking like we may be moving to Florida soon.....</span>
  • My grandma (who passed about a year ago) once was convinced she didn't live at her home and decided to walk "home" in the dead of winter. She fell down in front of her front porch and was there for a long time before anyone found her. It's stuff like that is crazy scary.
  • I`m so sorry to hear about that :(<br><br>I lost my grandmother the beginning of this month.....She was perfectly fine when a heart attack took her away.
    Toxic_Wolf_Paw_by_TheShadowStallion_zps5c96b135.jpg
  • <span style="color:#400080">Celia, that is so scary! It makes me really sad to think about the elderly people that don't have friends, family, and close neighbors that can look out for them and find them when they wander and get lost or need help. My mother and I have already arranged for her to move in with me and my family when she gets to a certain age, BEFORE she starts losing her faculties, so that hopefully we can keep her safe if she ever gets like that.<br><br>JMC I'm so sorry for your loss! I think the sudden passings are the hardest, when you don't have any time to mentally or emotionally prepare or even to say goodbye. I had a similar situation with my grandfather. If you ever need someone to talk to or a virtual shoulder to cry on, you know where to find me!</span>
  • Thank you Bryson. <br>I appreciate that. Same goes to you as well =)
    Toxic_Wolf_Paw_by_TheShadowStallion_zps5c96b135.jpg
  • I have a very similar situation going on with my grandfather. About a week ago he went missing for a day and the cops had to find him. There's some sort of anklet tracker that you can buy and if she ever goes missing like that again the police can find her immediately. We had to do that for my grandpa, the hardest part was getting him to cooperate at first, but now he's okay with having to wear it.
  • <span style="color:#400080">I already know my grandmother would PITCH A FIT if we asked her to wear that! How did you eventually get your grandfather to be ok with it?</span>
  • I was out of town when they did it, but there was a lady who came over and sat down with him and talked about it and my grandma agreed to wear one as well so he didn't feel like it was just him. I know it's a little different since your grandmother is alone/: