Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reallyy?

edited June 2014 in Vent
<span style="font-size:85">So I kinda sorta have a businesslike operation in my area clipping and shaving dogs. I offered to do this guy's dog for free because he's a friend of the family and has definitely put work into helping us with our animals (he's paid, but not as well as he could be.). He brings the dog, and with just a glance, the dog doesn't look too bad. Well the guy goes "can you maybe just trim it?" And I told him I wasn't experienced enough that I'd be able to do it evenly. I have always straight clipped dogs, I live on a ranch and we shave them to keep them cool and keep pests and plants out of their coat. So I always let people know that that's what I know how to dog. I have a poodle, so I've experimented a little and can do different types, but nothing fancy.<br><br>So the guy tells me to do whatever. And so I shave the dog. And let me tell you. The thing was psycho. He was jumping around all over the place and throwing a fit the entire time. I can at least say it never tried to bite me. I don't have a problem with any of this. I've done strays, and abused dogs, and everything else. I have absolutely zero problem with behavior, because I understand it.<br><br>My problem is what I found when I went to dog his back/underside. Balls. I'm not saying it was a deformed dog, or that it was unfriendly in anyway. All I'm saying is that:<br><br>1: They didn't even know what breed the thing was. It was an ok looking maltese. I was told it was a poodle. Simple fix, but if you don't even know the breed of your dog, you should not, ever, ever breed it! (In my opinion.) <br><br>2: The amount of stray in my area. There is absolutely zero reason in the world to breed, unless you're a breeder for a specific reason. I run a rescue (dog and horse) and I have come across so many great but unwanted animals. I have an AMAZING little pony filly that, brutally honest, I don't think the mom had any business being bred. I have five dogs in my backyard because my aunt failed to have her dog spayed. I am 100% against people breeding unless they have a purpose.<br><br>That's basically it I guess. I'm just so tired of having to deal with animals because owners aren't responsible enough to fix their them. I can't even tell you how many dogs and horses we've rescued just to have them put down for multiple reasons. It's ridiculous. Ugh.</span>

Comments

• Around here, it seems many people don't believe in immasculating dogs. There is only only one other dog in the neighborhood that is fixed.<br><br>When I rescued Buddy, people were asking if I intended to breed him because he had such a good nature (mind you, he was a puppy) and had nice markings. Didn't matter they and I had no real idea what breed(s) he was or anything about his background. When I responded with "No, I'm getting him neutered", the looks on their faces were priceless. It was like I'd grown a second nose or something.<br><br>Alex was a gift to our daughter from a man who worked for us. He's a little mutt, supposedly Chihuahua, Terrier and Dachshund. The reason we were given him, instead of one of his sisters, was "You won't have to worry about more puppies", as if having a male dog running around producing puppies wouldn't be my responsibility. I said it wouldn't matter since any dog we got would be fixed so puppies wouldn't be a problem for anyone. It says something that he was given to us at about 5 weeks old, even though I'd asked that he waited until after Christmas (a month away) and that he was so anemic due to fleas that he did nothing but sleep. I mean the man brought him in, deposited him on the floor and Alex promptly curled up and went back to sleep. He barely raised his head when we allowed Buddy to check him out. He is the only puppy from that litter that survived beyond a year. It was probably a life saver for him that the man did bring him earlier than I wanted. There have been at least 3 litters born since then and it infuriates me each time the man brags that he's got a new litter of puppies if we want another Alex.<br><br>I understand where you are coming from.
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>