Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blarg! Insomnia!

edited June 2014 in Vent
So... It's 4:30 in the morning, I'm exhausted, but every time I lay down, my mind starts up again and I can't sleep. What an awful feeling. Anyone have any suggestions, remedies for insomnia, or just wanna keep me company? lol :)

Comments

• <span style="font-size:85"><span style="color:#0000FF">It feels like every two or three hours I'm always awake lol I know how you feel. Lemme know if you find anything that helps.</span></span>
  • <span style="color:#400080">I have this issue too! My mind can't relax so I'm up until the wee hours of the morning then exhausted for days... </span>
    forumbanner_zpsa9ecc997.png
    BBB Kennels: *~* Training *~* Breeding *~* Sales *~* Showing *~* Boarding *~*
  • <span style="color:#400080">I'm another insomniac too. I have this issue a lot. I'll be dead tired but when I lay down my mind flips into thinking mode and I just can't fall asleep. Then I have the problem of not wanting to get out of bed the next day but finally have too because my dogs keep bugging me to go outside and potty :lol: <br><br>Wish I knew of something that would help</span>
  • Melatonin. Its the main ingredient in sleep aids ^^
    Toxic_Wolf_Paw_by_TheShadowStallion_zps5c96b135.jpg
  • <span style="color:#400080">I've tried melatonin tablets before and they make me kinda sleepy but never really put me to sleep sadly D:</span>
  • Sleep aids don't exactly "send you to sleep". They are meant to help once you are asleep, so you get the proper sleep so you feel less exhausted in the morning.<br><br>You should take a couple of hours to wind down, turn off main lights/bright lamps and try avoid sitting at the computer or whatever kids these days are using, as this tends to get people wanting to do things - StumbleUpon was my addiction at one point and I would literally spend HOURS stumbling through pages! <br> <br>- try avoid long naps in the day <br>- try avoid sugar in the evening (pop, sweets etc)<br>- try not to eat dinner late (I find with a full stomach it is difficult to sleep but others might be different)<br>- try do something strenuous in the day (i swim 3 times a week for a least an hour at a time which helps tire me out)<br>- try take a hot shower or bath just before bed<br>- don't play adrenaline pumping games (COD, BF etc) as adrenaline keeps you awake<br>- try get into a routine<br>- try cool the room, as your body temperature naturally drops as you sleep so if it is too warm you'll be too uncomfortable<br><br>I've got myself into a bit of a routine to wind down, although my main trouble is actually staying asleep! But even winding down - I tend to lose track of time so the routine helps. Pretty much every night I am home (with work the next morning) I take dog for a walk (normally about 10-11pm), go for a shower (as the body temperature cooling actually helps trigger sleepiness) and I then get into bed and watch tv for a little bit. This being American Dad/Family Guy repeats that are on about this time every night. And because I've seen them all already my mind doesn't fuss about being focused on them. I also have all lights off. Then within about an hour of getting into bed I will start to get sleepy and depending on the day I will fall asleep. <br><br>There is usual lavender oil, warm milk etc tricks but I'm allergic to most oils and warm milk is icky unless its hot chocolate lol. But might work for you?
    8ekcsqs.jpg
    ^ Click for comics
  • <span style="font-weight:bold">Red light therapy!!!!<br></span><br>I have delayed sleep-phase syndrome, which is often misdiagnosed as insomnia. Basically this means that I will be up until around 4 or 5 in the morning, then sleep uninterrupted for 10 full hours. If I manage to fall asleep before this 4-5 AM mark, then my body takes it as a nap and I wake up four hours later (which is humans "natural" sleep pattern.) Insomniacs have a hard time sleeping through the night - people with DSPS have a "shifted" circadian rhythm, but can stay asleep when they fall asleep.<br><br>So you might have that, too.<br><br>This is caused by blue! My eyes (and maybe yours, too) get too excited with the color blue, and that stops melatonin production. Taking melatonin pills or other sleep aids will just go right through you because it's being negated by your body. What I did was put red colored lights in my bedroom. Everything that is blue starts looking black. Just sit in there with the lights on for a few hours before the time you WANT to go to bed. In one night, I got from going to sleep at 6AM to 1AM. <span style="font-weight:bold">It was a huge difference.</span><br><br>If you don't want to do overhead lights, you can use a lamp instead. Just be sure there's no other light.<br>ALSO backlit objects are a no-no. BUT it's boring to sit in a room with no electronics. On my computer I use a program called Flux, and on my phone I use an app called Twilight. These both add a red tint to your screen after sunset. There's other programs like those, too.<br><br><br>Anyway, all that yada yada is if you think you might have DSPS (there's not a lot of information about it out there, so if you have questions, I gotchu.). If things like winding down, lavender essence oil, epsom salt baths and melatonin doesn't help you.<br><br><span style="font-size:50">this is something im really passionate about sorry</span>
    ekews2.jpg
  • Dramatic wrote:
    <span style="font-weight:bold">Red light therapy!!!!<br></span><br><br><span style="font-size:50">this is something im really passionate about sorry</span>
    <br><br>I laughed because you were so adorably excited about this :3