Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Shifted Inbreeding" Infinite Line

edited February 2014 in Tips & Tricks
<span style="color:#400080">This is a new concept I've decided to try, and so far it's worked out great for me, so I figured I'd share 8) <br><br>The basic concept is based off of the <a href="http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y490/RaeBryson/infiniteline_zpsd3fb18e4.png"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">4-dog inbred line</a>. The easiest way for me to understand that idea was this:<br><span style="font-size:85">You have two pairs, four dogs total. When you breed them, you keep two pups from each litter. Then you switch the females (or males, if you prefer to think of it that way) so you'd be breeding the male pup from the first pair to the female from the second pair, and vice versa. You have two pairs every generation and each time just switch the (fe)males.</span><br><br>The main issue that arises from this system, and other inbred systems, is that inbred lines generally don't make the same progress as pure lines. Sometimes the lines will get completely "stale" and stop really progressing at all. But many people (myself included) are unwilling, or financially unable, to start over from imports however many times to produce a pure line.<br><br>So I came up with what I call the <a href="http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y490/RaeBryson/shiftedline_zpsfdea9680.png"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">Shifted Inbreeding system</a>. It works like this:<br><span style="font-size:85">You have four pairs, eight dogs total. When you breed each pair, you keep two pups from each litter, the same way as the 4-dog line. But instead of just 'switching' the females, you shift each female either up or down one. So you'd be breeding male 1 with female 2, male 2 with female 3, etc...or male 4 with female 3, male 3 with female 2, etc. You can shift the males instead of the females of course, but for me it's easier to keep the males and move the females. With this system, you get the best of both worlds. You get the convenience of only having to train and breed a limited number of dogs, just like any other inbred line. But you also get enough "genetic variety" in your line to keep the stats progressing nicely, because it takes five generations before any inbreeding occurs, and at that point the dogs are so distantly related it doesn't make a difference.</span><br><br>Proof of concept... I am working on two lines: Brown Hyenas and Black Russian Terriers. With the Hyenas I'm using two 4-dog inbred lines, and with the BRTs I'm using a shifted line. Both lines started from imports, with an average hyper of 60 (both have 2 stars on breed standard). It took seven generations of grooming the Hyenas to 12yrs to get their hyper to average at 97. It only took five generations of grooming the BRTs to 9yrs to get their hyper to the same place. Both of these lines are still in progress, so I'll update this again with the end results.<br><br>Try it out and let me know if it works!<br></span>
forumbanner_zpsa9ecc997.png
BBB Kennels: *~* Training *~* Breeding *~* Sales *~* Showing *~* Boarding *~*