Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Herding Events for Non Herding Dogs

Im thinking of starting herding events/a club once i get a prestige kennel that cant be entered by herding breed dogs. The reason for this is while Border Collies are awesome ,its really difficult for a non BC/herding dog to win any herding events and there are alot of decent herding dogs that arent herding group that would do well in these events if they didnt have to compeate againt BCs (i use thrm as my example since they seem to be the best breed for herding with their high endurance) <br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">Would there be anyone interested in entering these events/club?</span><br>(Also sorry if ive put this in the wrong section of the forums im not sure where it belongs)
ivyfallscredit_by_perseusjs-d68vr5v.png
And i belive that half the time i am a wolf amoung the sheep gnawing at the wool over my eyes

Comments

• <span style="color:#400080">I'd be interested! But I have a question: Would you be excluding all herding type dogs or just Border Collies?</span>
    forumbanner_zpsa9ecc997.png
    BBB Kennels: *~* Training *~* Breeding *~* Sales *~* Showing *~* Boarding *~*
  • Not sure maybe just border collies depends on what people think i should do
    And i belive that half the time i am a wolf amoung the sheep gnawing at the wool over my eyes
  • <span style="color:#400080">I would be interested in this in the future. I'm slowly working on my next event dog lineup and my future headers are still a heading breed but not BC's and not super common. </span>
  • <span style="color:#400080">I think a "non-Border Collie" herding club would be nice. Because there are lots of herding dogs out there that would do well if they didn't have to compete with the BCs with crazy endy</span>
  • Ok so a herding club that excludes BCs sounds good, i respect how much effort people have put into grooming their BCs for high endy but its too difficult to beat them, i wonder about PBs though should they be allowed? Alao does anyone know about makinf clubs ive never made one or should it just be setting up eventsthrough a normal sposor, how do you restrict it so no BCs could be entering?
  • <span style="color:#400080">I'd be happy whether you allow PBs or not... I guess for the sake of fairness, since it seems the point is to give "normal" herding dogs a chance, maybe PBs should be left out...?<br><br>If you want to prevent BCs from entering the only surefire way is to start a club, so you can control which dogs are members. Another way would be to put in the title of the event "No Border Collies" but that really leaves it up to the players :| </span>
  • <span style="color:#400080">I don't think it would be possible to exclude BC's through a normal sponsor without excluding the entire herding group. <br><br>when it comes to setting up a club its not too hard. There's sections to fill out under the club tab that will let you put up the info and list requirements. I've found it can be hard to get members at first but just keep advertising the new club and give it time and it'll grow :D </span>
  • I could try a few no BCs events and hope no one enters their BCs :)
  • <span style="color:#400080">Here's hoping they go well and ppl follow the no BC rule :)<br><br>It'll be a while before I work on my herders, right now all I have are BC's. But I'm excite to see it take off so here's wishing you luck! May look for some temp. non BC's to enter until I work on my line<br><br><br>Oh and will it be just herding or cattle herding too?</span>
  • To start off just herding if i get enough attention ill run some cattle events, trying my first two now ,please enter if you can i want to see how this goes :)might even try some racing events for non greyhounds<br><a href="http://virtualpups.com/viewevent.php?event=375187"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://virtualpups.com/viewevent.php?event=375187</a><br><a href="http://virtualpups.com/viewevent.php?event=375188"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://virtualpups.com/viewevent.php?event=375188</a>;
  • <span style="color:#400080">I will definitely be entering some dogs (as soon as I figured out which ones lol)<br><br>I also have dogs is be more than happy to lease/sell for this!</span>
  • Idd be happy to buy some, been grooming up some pups i had from awhile back but thinking ineed some more pups let me know of you have any good untrained pups of any (non BC) breeds with 130+ endy and low agro and ill take alook :)
  • <span style="color:#400080">I'll enter here shorty. Need to do a few things before I event. I can enter my cattle herding dogs into the herding events. Most are herding class except one but none are BC's so they will work for this. If you ever get a club going I'll be more than happy to join :D</span>
  • ivybear93 wrote:
    Idd be happy to buy some, been grooming up some pups i had from awhile back but thinking ineed some more pups let me know of you have any good untrained pups of any (non BC) breeds with 130+ endy and low agro and ill take alook :)
    <br><br><span style="color:#400080">I found some good non-herding dogs I've just got to train them! As for dogs you can buy, search through Alaskan Huskies, and Arabian Wolves in my <a href="http://virtualpups.com/index.php?r=vpKennel/view&id=485211"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">Breeding Kennel</a> there are quite a few with endy over 130, any unnamed pups are available! They're all 10x4s though so aggro won't be lower than 100ish.</span>
  • Bryson -how much for this one? <a href="http://virtualpups.com/index.php?r=dog/view&id=2476692&view=1"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://virtualpups.com/index.php?r=dog/view&id=2476692&view=1</a>; <br>Para -if i do start up a club (eventually) ikl be sure ro let you know :)<br><br>If these events work out ill be holding them often :)
  • ivybear93 wrote:
    Bryson -how much for this one? <a href="http://virtualpups.com/index.php?r=dog/view&id=2476692&view=1"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://virtualpups.com/index.php?r=dog/view&id=2476692&view=1</a>; <br>Para -if i do start up a club (eventually) ikl be sure ro let you know :)<br><br>If these events work out ill be holding them often :)
    <br><br><span style="color:#400080">150k?</span>
  • Bid placed thanks, cant wait to see how well allthe dogs do in a herding event without BCs to compeate against :)
  • Also renaming it the NBCH (non border collie herding) since the first two seemed sucessful im going to regularily run these events and a special competion will be made soon :)
  • <span style="color:#400080">Sounds great! Its nice having a place to kinda break out of the norm with eventing. That's one reason I started HHWPA so that APBT's could have a place to event in weight pull and be out of the shadow of the mastiffs. </span>
  • Yup thats like how the border collies control herding and greyhounds own racing events its good to have events that arent always being won by those three breeds :) i started this also so my line of boykins would eventually have events they could enter :)
  • <span style="color:#400080">I wouldn't be at all upset if you decide to do those events too in the same way! So did you decide whether or not to include PBs?</span>
  • The last two event ran with PBs in them and they seemed fine maybe an age linit on PBs or something ?