Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vocabulary Game

edited July 2014 in Games
<span style="color:#400080">Well I'm a nerd and I've always enjoyed learning new words to add to my vocabulary. So I figured I would make a little game here on VP that some may find interesting/fun and will help us all add to our repertoire.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold"><span style="text-decoration:underline"><span style="font-size:150">How It Works</span></span></span><br><br>-The goal is to choose words that aren't used in most common conversations. So avoid words like awesome, horrible, harvest, grand etc. The words don't have to be super rare just not common in every day language so pick words such as savory, loath, behoove, sullen etc.<br><br>-Choose a word that starts with the first letter of the player's name above you and give the definition, then use it in a sentence <br><br><span style="font-weight:bold"><span style="text-decoration:underline"><span style="font-size:150">Example</span></span></span><br><br>Player one's name is Apple Seed<br><br>Player two's name is Delta Force and they post:<br>Abhorrent: inspiring disgust and loathing; repugnant. <br>The restroom at the gas station was abhorrent. <br><br>Player three's name is Ginger Snap and they post: <br>Diligent: having or showing care and conscientiousness in one's work or duties. <br>The college student was diligent in her studies and made straight A's. <br><br>Then next player would then continue by picking a word that starts with the letter G. Then so on and so forth.<br><br>So since I'm starting this thread the next player would need to find a word that starts with the letter P, give it's definition and use it in a sentence.</span>

Comments

• Plateau: a state of little or no change following a period of activity or progress.<br>"the peace process had reached a plateau"
    ewz_zps041071af.png
  • <span style="color:#800000"><span style="font-weight:bold">Hectic:</span> Full of incessant or frantic activity<br><span style="font-style:italic">My life has gotten so hectic of late, I barely have time to sleep!</span></span>
    4v1rix.jpg
  • <span style="color:#400080">Yay a nerd game! :lol: <br><br>Superfluous: unnecessary, as in too much or more than is needed<br><span style="font-style:italic"> She had a tendency to give superfluous information when asked a simple question.</span></span>
    forumbanner_zpsa9ecc997.png
    BBB Kennels: *~* Training *~* Breeding *~* Sales *~* Showing *~* Boarding *~*
  • <span style="color:#400080">Glad to see some replies! Was afraid no one would comment :P<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">Beguile</span>: charm or enchant (someone), sometimes in a deceptive way.<br>The withered old witch cast a love spell that beguiled the young handsome prince. </span>
  • <span style="color:#400080">Palpable: (literal) able to be felt, as in by the hands; (figurative) intense enough (as in emotion) to almost be felt physically<br><span style="font-style:italic">The tension between the feuding neighbors was palpable.</span></span>
  • <span style="color:#400080">I was hoping some other players would post but I can't resist XD<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">Boisterous</span>: (of a person, event, or behavior) noisy, energetic, and cheerful; rowdy.<br>The boisterous boxer may not be a suitable breed for couch potatoes.</span>
  • pragmatic: dealing with things sensibly and realistically in a way that is based on practical rather than theoretical considerations<br><br><span style="font-style:italic">Claire has a very pragmatic approach to problem at hand</span>
    ewz_zps041071af.png
  • <span style="color:#400080"><span style="font-weight:bold">Helve:</span> the handle of a weapon or tool.<br><br>The lumberjack swung the axe with such force that the helve split down the middle.</span>
  • Prevalent: widespread; of wide extent or occurrence; in general use or acceptance. <br>I wish word games were more prevalent on Virtual Pups, for my enjoyment.
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • <span style="color:#400080">lol I agree Alabama :mrgreen: <br><br>Acumen: the ability to think clearly and make intelligent decisions; insight; wisdom<br><span style="font-style:italic">Her political acumen won her the election.</span></span>
  • beatster - fish net repairer <br><br><span style="font-style:italic">The beatster had just finished repairing a fish net that got ripped on some rocks. </span>
  • <span style="color:#400080">anoopsia : a condition in which one eye gazes upward while the other looks straight ahead<br><br>Despite having anoopsia the dog has no problem competing in obedience trials.</span>