Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disallowing Real Breeds to Be Made into Private Breeds

Hi. So,it's come to my attention that there are several real breeds that have been made into private breeds and I've been told that since they are private breeds,they will never also be added as public breeds. Now, for fantasy breeds that people made up themselves, it makes sense that people should be able to reserve them as private breeds but it really isn't fair to reserve a real breed or species of canine as a private breed when you could just as easily suggest it be added as a public breed so that everyone can have one and don't ban the breed from ever being added by making it a private breed. Honestly, that's kinda selfish in my opinion.<br><br>Anyways, the real breeds in question that have been made into private breeds are:<br>Algonquin Wolves<br>Maned Wolves<br>Ethiopian Wolves<br>Egyptian Jackals<br>New Zealand Heading Dog<br>New Zealand Huntaway<br>New Zealand Smithfield<br>Kyubi no kitsune(which is a creature from Asian mythology,so not techincally real,but not a personally made-up breed either)<br><br>and possibly the Alexandriane Island Wolf if it's supposed to be the same thing as the Alexander Archipelago Wolf,although I've never heard of that subspecies of wolf being called by the name Alexandriane Island Wolf even though it lives on the Alexandrian Islands.<br><br>There might be other breeds or species I'm missing,but those are the ones off the top of my head that I know are real animals or real creatures from folklore.<br><br>So,my question is, can there be a rule from now on banning the making of real species,breeds, or folkloric creatures into private breeds, and that people can only make breeds they made up themselves into private breeds? Otherwise,if it's a real breed,species,or creature from folklore,they just have to suggest it to be added as a public breed and wait and see if its added as a public breed.<br><br>Or perhaps just make a disclaimer that if someone buys a private breed of a real species, breed, or folkloric creature, that the game has the right to add the animal in as a public breed later (perhaps under another common name if not under the same common name) if it gets suggested since its a real animal. <br><br>I am not really sure what could be done about the above listed animals though that have already been reserved before a rule or disclaimer has been added. Perhaps, give the people an option to change their breed to something else (that's made-up so it fits with the new rule) for free once those breeds become public if they become public.<br><br>Just something to consider. Thoughts everyone?
167jcer.png

Disney's Frozen avatar and banner by me.It's an amazing movie. Everyone should totally go see it.

"The cold never bothered me anyway."-Elsa the Snow Queen

Comments

• You are aware private breeds cost $100 in real money, right? So that's a lot of money to be told you aren't allowed something you've spent the year saving up for just because you feel people are "selfish" for buying something. <br><br>Breeds get added to the game at least once a year by Ari, these are normally from the suggestion list too. So it's not like that list is completely ignored at all.
    8ekcsqs.jpg
    ^ Click for comics
  • As Paper points out, personal breeds are expensive and there aren't many of them. <br><br>Most of the known popular breeds are public breeds. The real/folklore breeds that have been created as personal breeds probably wouldn't ever be made as public breeds because they are not popular or well known. There's little to no sense in creating a breed that only a few players know, let alone are interested in, therefor only those few players ever do anything with them. <br><br>If we disallowed all real and folklore breeds from being created, would probably be quite a few players who would never purchase a private breed because they have no interest in making something up. They want the breed that few people know about that probably will never be introduced to the game in any other way.
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • <span style="color:#800000"><span style="font-size:85">:// Being called selfish kinda tickles my anger a little.<br>I've spent a fair chunk of RL money on VP, and I have 3 Private Breeds, 1 of which is a REAL breed, 1 is completely made up, and the other is taken from HP.<br>*cries a little inside* I wuv my PB's. </span></span>
    4v1rix.jpg
  • I have several ideas for PB's that I hope I can choose ONE from someday (whether from a generous player or my own RL money) but I agree with everyone above. I have been playing this game off and on since the early 2000's and have yet to get one. <br><br>I feel if you are privileged enough to have the money for one, you ought to have any breed you like, including REAL breeds. Heck, all of my PB ideas are real dog breeds!
    endurance_collie_by_perseusjs-d68vnzn.png
  • PaperWings wrote:
    You are aware private breeds cost $100 in real money, right? So that's a lot of money to be told you aren't allowed something you've spent the year saving up for just because you feel people are "selfish" for buying something. <br><br>Breeds get added to the game at least once a year by Ari, these are normally from the suggestion list too. So it's not like that list is completely ignored at all.
    <br>I didn't say breeds weren't added. It's just that any breeds that are reserved as private breeds can <span style="font-style:italic">never</span> be suggested to be added as public breeds. I personally would've suggested some of the breeds listed above in the suggestion topic if I didn't know that I wasn't allowed to since they are already private breeds. I really want a Coydog as a breed,but even if I had the $100, I wouldn't buy it as a private breed. I've put a suggestion in in the breed suggestion topic because I don't want to take away the opportunity for the breed to become public and others to have it because in my personal opinion atleast, it would be selfish of me.<br><br>
    As Paper points out, personal breeds are expensive and there aren't many of them. <br><br>Most of the known popular breeds are public breeds. The real/folklore breeds that have been created as personal breeds probably wouldn't ever be made as public breeds because they are not popular or well known. There's little to no sense in creating a breed that only a few players know, let alone are interested in, therefor only those few players ever do anything with them. <br><br>If we disallowed all real and folklore breeds from being created, would probably be quite a few players who would never purchase a private breed because they have no interest in making something up. They want the breed that few people know about that probably will never be introduced to the game in any other way.
    <br>There are actually quite a few personal breeds according to the Breed Suggestion list topic and the large majority of them are made-up. Only the few listed above are real as far as I can tell. In the breed suggestion list, how many players does it take to agree with a suggestion for it to be added? Because if it's only 2, then the people that bought most of the breeds listed above could've suggested them and I would've seconded them and then they could've been added as public breeds. Also, I have a question. If I had $100, I wouldn't be able to buy a breed that someone else already has as a private breed as my own private breed to have it either,right? For example, I couldn't buy an Ethiopian Wolf as a private breed since someone else already has it as their private breed? Correct?
    167jcer.png

Disney's Frozen avatar and banner by me.It's an amazing movie. Everyone should totally go see it.

"The cold never bothered me anyway."-Elsa the Snow Queen
  • You should be aware that the breed suggestion lists are merely suggestions, there really isn't a guarantee that they will be made into a public breed. If a suggestion is made into a public breed, it takes a while to happen. Now, somebody correct me on this if there have been more, but I have been playing since 09' and I have only seen roughly a handful of new breeds introduced. As I think Paper said, new breeds are introduced at least once a year. There's a long list there!<br><br>By the way, you are correct. Once somebody buys a breed as a PB, like the Ethiopian Wolf, the same breed cannot be purchased again.
    FrostBite_zpsab645aba.png
  • Alabama wrote:
    As Paper points out, personal breeds are expensive and there aren't many of them. <br><br>Most of the known popular breeds are public breeds. The real/folklore breeds that have been created as personal breeds probably wouldn't ever be made as public breeds because they are not popular or well known. There's little to no sense in creating a breed that only a few players know, let alone are interested in, therefor only those few players ever do anything with them. <br><br>If we disallowed all real and folklore breeds from being created, would probably be quite a few players who would never purchase a private breed because they have no interest in making something up. They want the breed that few people know about that probably will never be introduced to the game in any other way.
    <br>There are actually quite a few personal breeds according to the Breed Suggestion list topic and the large majority of them are made-up. Only the few listed above are real as far as I can tell. In the breed suggestion list, how many players does it take to agree with a suggestion for it to be added? Because if it's only 2, then the people that bought most of the breeds listed above could've suggested them and I would've seconded them and then they could've been added as public breeds. Also, I have a question. If I had $100, I wouldn't be able to buy a breed that someone else already has as a private breed as my own private breed to have it either,right? For example, I couldn't buy an Ethiopian Wolf as a private breed since someone else already has it as their private breed? Correct?
    <br><br>I said quite a few wouldn't, not that no one would create a make believe breed or even that most wouldn't. I didn't go through and count what's what and what's not. There may be more private breeds that aren't on the list because they were purchased after the last update.<br><br>The public breeds created are not a popularity contest, it not up for a vote. Sometimes breeds are put in that aren't suggested, sometimes it's just how well a suggested breed is known, it all depends on what the game owner feels like putting in. Lesser known breeds are probably not quite as likely to be created as an established, known breed. That isn't to say a lesser known breed will never be a breed on VP, just isn't as likely to happen.<br><br>Saying it isn't fair for someone to pay money, a lot of money, to get their own breed, whatever it is, is kinda like saying it isn't fair that novices don't get unlimited breeding, turns, etc. The game needs to make money and limiting players only to those breeds they make up is limiting the appeal of the product. If novices got the same or even half the perks sponsors do, fewer people would upgrade. It is too bad that you did not get the breed(s) that you wanted, but there's bound to be something similar or perhaps when you are able, you can purchase your own "made up" breed based on Coydogs or whatever other breed you want. <br><br>Once someone owns a breed, other players cannot purchase the same breed or imports of the breed without the original owner giving permission.<br><br>Frost is right, when new breeds are added, it's usually around half a dozen breeds added at one time and the list is very long.
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • <span style="font-size:85">There are other factors in choosing a 'real breed' as a personal breed anyway. Different countries have different names for similar dogs, for example I chose the personal breed 'American Akita' even though there is already the Akita Inu (Japanese Akita) because my country recognizes the Japanese Akita Inu and the American Akita to be two seperate breeds - so even if I suggested it on the suggestion thread there is a good chance it would be rejected due to it being recognized as too similar a breed to the Akita Inu. It is pretty much like saying that I couldn't dye my labs 'Yellow' because that's what they get called here as opposed to being called 'Golden' in other places if Yellow is considered a natural colour... I've worked really hard and I try to get as many people as possible involved in the progress of my breed and I get a thrill when people say to me stuff like 'Oh! I have an American Akita IRL, would you mind reserving a puppy for me?' - which I'm quite happy to do. <span style="font-style:italic">(Just to note, I only release male intact dogs to the public which <span style="text-decoration:underline">cannot</span> be mated with the Akita Inu. Intact females will NEVER be released.)</span><br><br>I would be very upset if all of a sudden I got a PM telling me that I've just spent $100 on a dog which I had to release to the public because other people want that breed. I don't see why I have to change my breed purely because people want it and I happened to have saved up over some months to get it XD If people REALLY wanted one of these dogs that are PB's, they would save up their VPC and ask politely :) Given the right owners/conditions a lot of people will be happy to release some. We need to vet to make sure that there's not hundreds of puppies being churned out and ruining the breed... hence why there are a lot of Private PB's.</span>
    30912_s.gif
  • Just like everyone else was saying, as soon as I read the first post, <br><br>As a owner of three of the breeds listed on your post, I have met/talked to Americans who didn't even know New Zealand was even here on the planet..<br>The New Zealand Huntaway is not even known as a breed by most Kennel clubs.<br>I heard only this year it may be counted as a breed with the clubs.<br><br>Half of the people would of never heard of NZs sheep dogs, the Huntaway who is made to bark or the Herding dog who is our BC eye dog, made for NZ, NZ is a lot warmer than England where most the dogs that made these dogs came from.<br><br>Yes I would be upset to of paid 100$USD x3 was like 120$ per in NZD, to be told anyone can now use my breeds, I paid for to be in the game, I wouldn't of even given VP any cash if I was not allowed to make real life breeds, I like them over made up breeds. (Even though I have one made up breed and would buy another if I had the cash.) I think a rule as such, VP would of only gotten maybe 300$ out of me in the end, instead of the big 600$+ in how much I'v spent on PBs. I don't believe they will place such a rule, because as always said, the game needs people to buy such things, to help keep the game running.<br>They don't ask for donations like some games, and I think its great I get something for my cash instead of donating cash, as I don't donate unless its for something like SPCA.
    flyacdbanner.jpg
    656 Gifties