Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guide to Using the Vent Board

edited October 2010 in Vent
This is a guide created to assist the members of Virtual Pups when using the “Vent” section of the Virtual Pups forum. These are not rules, but you are encouraged to take them into consideration. To view the rules for the vent board please follow this link: <a href="http://virtualpups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=43840"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://virtualpups.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=43840</a>. Remember that venting is about letting emotions out, and responses should be with the intent to empathize or constructively help someone.<br><br><span style="text-decoration:underline">Suggested Topics to Post</span><br>1. Accomplishments in the game and life. Basically anything you are proud of that is causing you to feel successful or happy.<br>2. Frustration with the game like loosing an event, or accidentally over training a dog. We all play Virtual Pups, and thus we can all relate to most of the frustrations.<br>3. Relatable annoyances outside of Virtual Pups. Maybe you have an annoying sibling, or your homework is too hard. A lot of members can relate to that, and will be able to empathize better.<br>4. Topics suitable for all ages.<br><br><span style="text-decoration:underline">Suggested Topics to Avoid Posting on Virtual Pups</span><br>1. Personal information about you or your family that brings forth intense emotion or defensiveness. This kind of information is best kept to yourself, or between your family, close friends, or a counselor that are familiar with you and the situation, so that provoking your frustration is avoided.<br>2. Controversial topics that entertain strong opinions, such as politics, animal rights, religion, etc. No one is saying that you can’t have your opinion, but these topics often lead to argumentative debates over who is right and who is wrong, which puts strain on the whole Virtual Pups community.<br>3. Mature topics, or topics that include some mature content without going against the Virtual Pups rules. The majority of Virtual Pups is made up of children, and individuals who are uncomfortable, or unfamiliar with some topics, and thus more likely to respond in a way that could provoke others. If you wouldn’t talk about it in front of a 5 year old or your grandmother, then it’s probably not recommended for Virtual Pups.<br>4. Avoid posting anything made while you are feeling intense emotion, because you are more likely to be irrational. It is not productive to vent while irrational, because you are more likely to provoke yourself and others even further. Take 15 minutes to relax a little, and then make a calm post about how you are feeling.<br><br><span style="text-decoration:underline">Suggestions to Avoid Provoking Others and Causing Conflicts</span><br>1. Fact-opinion confusion. Be careful with your wording. Stating opinions as facts can cause defensiveness in people. Try using a phrase like “In my opinion…”<br>2. Check you motives before posting or responding to another person. If you are posting something to seek strictly agreement, attention, or belittle another then it’s recommended that you do not post. Venting is about letting emotions out, and responses should be with the intent to empathize or constructively help someone.<br>3. Try to follow the “golden rule.” If you are posting something you would not want said back to you, then you should not post it, regardless of whether or not it is true.<br>4. Re-read your post 3 times before posting it to make sure it is clear, and understandable. All too often conflicts occur due to misunderstandings.<br>5. Always ask for clarification if you are unsure about something that has been said, or avoid responding all together.<br><br><span style="text-decoration:underline">When to “Walk Away” or “Agree to Disagree”</span><br>1. If something you have read is causing you to experience intense emotions.<br>2. When another person is clearly not open to suggestions or advice.<br>3. When you see a controversial topic you don’t agree with.<br>4. When it seems like you are arguing over opinions.<br>5. If your post or response will potentially do more harm than good. <br><br><span style="text-decoration:underline">Tips</span><br>1. Try writing out a post or response, delete it, and then give yourself some time to think about if it’s really worth rewriting and posting.<br>2. Be willing to forgive another member, and move on from the disagreement. A lot of people get caught up in emotion when they post to the vent board, and don’t actually mean to be so harsh.<br>3. Your way is not always the right way. Be open to, or at least respectful of advice from other members who only mean well. No one is forcing you to follow the advice.<br>4. Be confident if your advice or shared experiences. If you are not confident in what you are writing, then don’t post it.
I'm done with VP. I'll just be around until I get all my dogs and lines placed in good hands. If you want to contact me, please do so through deviantART.

Comments

• Prince Sushi makes some excellent points and though they aren't rules, many of things/situations they suggest avoiding are things that can lead to a warning or a ban because they turn into a flame war or someone says something they really shouldn't, if they don't at least upset other members of our community.<br><br>In this area, more than anywhere else on the boards, posters really should try putting themselves others' shoes and if things feel like they are starting to get heated, walk away. Posters should also be aware that they won't always or even normally get the response they expected, so if you don't want constructive criticism or to have what you say analyzed, you would probably do better to post somewhere else or private message a friend or ask someone to pm you. <br><br>I think the most important thing Prince Sushi suggests is the part about typing out what you want to say, then either deleting it and coming back to write it again after a while or at the least do something else before coming back to read it again and posting it.
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • I like this.<br>Good job Sushi!
    29etc79.png
    Back in action?
  • NewfGirl wrote:
    I like this.<br>Good job Sushi!
    <br> Piotr_Pies and Tarnish also contributed, and deserve praise.<br> Thanks guys~
    I'm done with VP. I'll just be around until I get all my dogs and lines placed in good hands. If you want to contact me, please do so through deviantART.
  • NewfGirl wrote:
    I like this.<br>Good job Sushi!
    <br> Piotr_Pies and Tarnish also contributed, and deserve praise.<br> Thanks guys~
    <br>In that case, good job Piotr_Pies and Tarnish too!
    29etc79.png
    Back in action?