Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Art Theft

edited September 2013 in Artist Alley
When you see someone stealing artwork, please don't bash them in public. Report it to an Op so we can investigate and take the proper measures. <br><br>Harassing another player is also against the rules on VP and carries the same penalty as art theft.
<span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>

Comments

• I have a question. Does making a banner of movies using screenshots count as art theft and is it against the rules? For example, if someone made a banner of say the Lion King, using screenshots they took from the movie, would that be against the rules?
    167jcer.png

Disney's Frozen avatar and banner by me.It's an amazing movie. Everyone should totally go see it.

"The cold never bothered me anyway."-Elsa the Snow Queen
  • Movies, characters, etc. derived works are an exception because they're considered fan art. So you could use <span style="font-style:italic">official</span> images of The Lion King, for example, if that's what you wanted to do. It'd only classify as art theft if you took someone's <span style="font-style:italic">personal</span> drawing/images of The Lion King and used it without their permission.
    35ea329b-0292-43cf-beb5-41d1eb59699a_zpsc271b0c6.jpg
    On an indefinite hiatus.
  • Anastasia wrote:
    Movies, characters, etc. derived works are an exception because they're considered fan art. So you could use <span style="font-style:italic">official</span> images of The Lion King, for example, if that's what you wanted to do. It'd only classify as art theft if you took someone's <span style="font-style:italic">personal</span> drawing/images of The Lion King and used it without their permission.
    <br>Oh. Ok. Thank you. I just wanted to make sure.
    167jcer.png

Disney's Frozen avatar and banner by me.It's an amazing movie. Everyone should totally go see it.

"The cold never bothered me anyway."-Elsa the Snow Queen