Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Dog's eye got hit....

Hey guys, I know I haven't been on in a while. This summer has actually been pretty busy. So hi! But since most of the people here know a lot about dogs, I came here because my dog got hit in the eye. <br><br>Last night a neighbor was over and they were throwing the tennis ball using the chuck-it, which is like a plastic stick you put the ball into to throw it farther. Well they didn't realize my Lab was right under them, and hit her in the eye with the chuck-it. <br><br>My mom says she didn't whine or yelp like it was painful, but she kept her eye closed for a while. When I looked at it last night, it was kind of pink and just didn't look right. She was acting alright, so we decided to see how it looked today.<br><br>Well today, her eye looks better, not completely better, but a lot better than yesterday. . However, she's kind of holding it half open. We were planning on going away (with the dogs) either today or tomorrow. I don't want to take her until I know her eye is OK, because it would be pain to find a vet up there. <br><br>So, my question is, should we bring her to the vet today? Or should it heal on it's own? And also, do you think it could have seriously damaged her eye? I'll have to see what my parents say, but I was thinking we should just call the vet and see what they think. Thanks so much. =)
14xmkg0.png
Goals: 13/50million VPC

Comments

• If there's nothing coming out of it and she's acting alright, she's probably okay. Might be a little painful, but you would be too if you got hit in the eye. If you're concerned though, a trip to the vet would be the best thing
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • get her to the vet imediatly it doesnt matter is is is in pain but there may be something serious up with the eye will you post pics of the eye ?
    10o1wlj.jpg
  • Niscus wrote:
    get her to the vet imediatly it doesnt matter is is is in pain but there may be something serious up with the eye will you post pics of the eye ?
    <br> I disagree. If she didn't even yelp when she got hit, she probably has a pretty high pain tolerance. The fact that it is only pink and it is more open then it was before, she should be absolutely fine. The pink is only irritation from being bonked and the reason t is closed is from the impact causing it to swell. <br><br>Swelling is the body's way of of protecting and area until it gets all better (sometimes from something broken, but in his case, more likely irritation/ slight bruising). To help swelling, get a wash rag and dip it in hot water, wring it out, but make sure it is still hot/warm. Place it over her eye throughout the day and swelling will go down. I wouldn't recommend ice, since the nerves around the face for dogs are more sensitive that those of humans.<br><br>:) I'd say take your pup and go have fun, I promise that tomorrow she'll be even better.
    GKEBannerRESIZE_zps822c8535.jpg
  • Thanks guys. She started shutting her eye again, so we decided to take her in just to be safe. The vet said her eye will be fine and she's not concerned about it, but she put some drops in it and gave us some pills to help the swelling go down. Her eye looks a lot better already and she should be all set to have fun and go swimming this week! <br><br>My poor dogs, one has a swollen eye and one has an ear infection. We were at the vet two days in a row. Thanks for the advice! =)
    14xmkg0.png
  • I hope both of them feel better! :D
  • Patty wrote:
    I hope both of them feel better! :D
    <br>Thanks! A few days of exploring the woods and swimming should cheer them both up.
    14xmkg0.png
  • A rule of thumb- most dogs WON'T yelp or cry out in pain. It has nothing to do with pain tolerance and everything to do with the fact that pain sounds indicate weakness, and weakness indicates prey. I hope your dog feels better tho'. D8 I don't want to get Kira a chuck-it because knowing her she's -aim- to get hit in the face every time.
    2eldxsm.png