Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible Insomnia solutions?

Hey guys, its been awhile accepet for a few fourm pop ins. Im finnaly ungrounded, but my computers oober slow still! Gah!<br><br> Anyway, for as long as I can remember, Ive had issues sleeping. Me falling asleep early is considered about 11. It takes a few hours at least. I get on averge 4-6 hours a night (with sports, school, babysitting ect so its stressfull) Its been even worse the last year due to a personal incident at home. So every creak wakes me up, and makes me turn on the lights. Infact, its normal for me to literlly not fall asleep at all and just sit and stare at the clock. <br> Often, even if in bed at 8, I dont fall asleep till about four. Ive never been tested, or asked or whatever if I had insomnia, I dont really even know what it is. <br> Recentlly due to severe allergys Ive been taken benadryly (well some knock off of it) and I sleep like an angle (even in increase in dreams oddly). I.Love.it. But I found out taking it often is bad for you. At first I was fine with discontinuing it (well mabey like once every few weeks, but its not ment for a sleep pill) but I relized I may depend on it. I cant sleep without it! Im so angry with myself. Im not addicted, Im fine without it, but Im just so upset because Ive been getting the best sleep of my life. And mabey I have a slight need for it, because I was actully considering just taking one even though my parents said no, but decided agasint it. Thats not like me, so abviosly I have a problem. But im fine now. Its not the pills I crave its the sleep! Ive been much more perky! So bye bye bendaril, but oh god, sleep please come back. Weve only been together so shortly!<br> So I must know! Are there any unharmfull, mabey even natural soultions?<br><br> Added** I wake up early at times, like four (even If I just fell asleep) and cant fall back asleep if Im up. I feel to tired when I wake up. I think to much when Im in bed. I HAVE to have something over my head 90% of the time. Pillow, blanket, my arm, hand, something. Something has to be coveing my eyes. No, im not afraid of the dark, or ghost or whatnot, I dont know why I do this.

Comments

• I have insomnia too, so I know how much it sucks. My doctor put me on pills for it, but they knocked me out for 2 days straight 0.o SoI decided to try a natural solution. Lavender. It doesn't make me sleep, but it calms me down enough to atleast rest. I bought it in the spray form, and just spray it a couple times on my pillow before I go to bed.
    5x236g.jpg
  • <a href="http://www.republicoftea.com/get-some-zzz's---no+-5/p/V00729&quot; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://www.republicoftea.com/get-some-z ... 5/p/V00729</a><br><br>It helps, plus it tastes amazing
    (SPIDERS!)
  • Thanks guys, Ill try those both. <br> I have a new matress, even though its actully worst then my last one its smaller and I fall asleep faster on it. /:
  • I've ALWAYS had trouble sleeping since I was little. I am just a high strung person. What I used to do when I was younger was, as someone else mentioned, drink tea. The kinds I used were Sleepy Time and Tension Tamer. I believe they are by Celestial. You can find them in the tea section of any grocery store.<br><br>Another method that probably works best of all is exercising. I realize it can be difficult with a busy life to squeeze in gym time, which is why I do homework while I do cardio. lol. Even doing a few basic exercises (sit ups, push ups, leg lifts, ect.) for 10-15 minutes helped me, and best of all you can do those while you are watching TV or something. :)<br><br>Yoga is also a great option and most centers offer courses that provide exercise or are targeted specifically at relaxation. But then again, there is the time crunch thing. D:<br><br>Another very EASY thing you can try is to use food to help you. Ultimately, you want foods that will stimulate your brain to create serotonin, which is one of the feel good neurotransmitters that will help you relax and fall asleep easily.<br>Dairy Products - Eat these a few hours before you plan on going to bed, the excess calcium prompts serotonin release.<br>Bananas - The B6 in bananas does the same as above. Also, bananas in milk tastes the BEST! :D<br>Breads, Pastas, Crackers, Low-Sugar Cereal ect. - You will burn through foods with a high glycemic index fast and it will leave you feeling tired and ready for a good night's sleep.<br>Turkey - Turkey contains lots of tryptophan, which is nature's sleep aid. Even deli turkey will work, but watch out for high sodium content in deli varieties.<br><br>On the contrary, foods you DON'T want to eat before going to bed are...<br>Coffee/Energy Drinks<br>Black or Green Teas<br>Anything with a high sugar content<br>Candy of ANY kind (ties into above)<br>Energy Bars (most have lots of hidden sugar in syrups to make them sweet, this includes Cliff)<br>Apples<br><br>Finally, massage can be effective. Rubbing around your temples, eyebrow, and between your eyes down the bridge of the nose can help relax you.<br><br>Hope something on this list will help!
  • Never heard of taking antihistamine daily to be bad for you o.O <br>In relation to dogs, when I worked at the vets some had to take it every day of the year. And I'm sure there are some humans that take it everyday due to severe allergies to dustmites etc. <br><br>Personally I think taking antihistamines is one of the safest sleep aids, as they help you sleep instead of knocking you out like some sleeping pills can.
    8ekcsqs.jpg
    ^ Click for comics
  • -Don't watch tv or use the computer before going to bed. It gets your mind active and you won't want to go to sleep<br>-Try laying in bed and reading something, perhaps something boring like a textbook so you'll drift off to sleep<br>-Buy a sleeping mask if you like having your eyes covered (Or make one out of a bandanna or something)<br>-Don't have a lot of sugar or caffine before bed<br>-Try not to think about getting to sleep. Just relax and let yourself drift off<br>-Try background noise. A fan or a sound machine works great. It blocks out other noise, but also makes it so it's not dead silent<br>-Make sure you're comfortable. Is something bothering you? Is it too quiet, too noisy, to hot, too cold, too light, or too dark? <br>-Excercise, but not right before bed. It gets you too "pumped up"<br>-If you can't get to sleep, try doing something that makes your brain tired, like making up a story or something. (Just don't think of something exciting that will make your brain active.)<br><br>I had problems getting to sleep for a while. Eventually, it just passed. My brain would be active and then I'd keep looking at the clock, and worrying that I wasn't gonna be able to sleep. I learned to just relax. Good luck!
    14xmkg0.png
    Goals: 13/50million VPC
  • As an insomniac it is hard to "not think about sleeping" o.O I've managed to keep myself awake til 5am thinking about how I must stop thinking about how I should be asleep. With work starting at 8am, was quite interesting. Never been able to "relax". If I've to get up early I can't sleep, if I don't have to get up and WANT to stay awake...I can't. Go figure XD<br><br>And personally I watch stuff to actually make me sleepy. But that might be just me. I tend to find when I look forward to watching something THAT is when I get sleepy, and fall asleep better. But make sure it is something you've seen before. Because there is nothing worse than putting a program on you've not seen before, as you then want to stay awake until it finishes XD
    8ekcsqs.jpg
    ^ Click for comics
  • Thankyou very much for the advice, hophelly it works for me. (: