Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freedom [Puppymill based poem...]

It’s to walk without steel beneath us,<br>Fresh grass rolling serenely<br>beneath our paws, <br>where we could feel soft<br>soothing melodies <br>Of those plains most of us will never know.<br><br>It’s to smell sanctuary <br>of life in its simplest forms.<br>Of ocean salt and<br>dense forest moisture.<br>Of home cooked meals<br>and favorite toys.<br><br>It’s to go for long walks<br>in the morning fog and<br>beneath night stars<br>where we can sit peacefully <br>to end an exciting day.<br><br>It’s the gentle stroke of human hands,<br>who praise us after a day’s work<br>of being a companion<br>And putting smiles on people’s faces –<br>Not because we produced money<br>but because we produced friendship.<br><br>It’s beyond these walls of grime,<br>beyond the filthy water<br>and stale food.<br>It’s beyond the people<br>who never glance at us,<br>But merely check inventory.<br><br>It’s in the arms of those who care.<br>It’s in the wag of a tail,<br>and in the bark of a happy dog – <br>Not a frantic one.<br><br><span style="font-style:italic">Freedom.</span><br><br><br>
<br><br><br>This is for an entry to a group on dA... but I realized I'm not part of the group yet. Anyway, I get this idea from puppy mill dogs. I did a report on them last year, and I learned a lot more than I used to know. I knew they were bad before... I just didn't realize -how- bad.<br><br>So, this is to those who buy from pet stores - stop and think about it. What responsible breeder would put their dogs in a pet store where they are going to owners that the breeder will never know? Yeah. No responsible breeder would put their puppies in a pet store. I used to think "Well, they need to be saved!"<br><br>While you may save a dog - you're creating even more who have to live through the horrible life that puppy mills bring dogs. These places thrive off people's sympathy. I also learned, that even when you don't get from a pet store - you need to do research. When you look online or in newspapers, beware of false advertising. It's easy for a puppy mill owner to write something impressive on a web page. <br><br>Millions of dogs die every year due to pet overpopulation. Puppy mills only support these horrible statistics. Think about the dogs stuck in these puppy mills - they're closed in wire cages, they don't get to see the outside world, and most of them suffer from disease, and most certainly, neglect. They will never know the meaning of freedom unless something is done to start closing these inhumane places down.
All good things must come to an end. All endings will begin new good things.
mini_nickel_vere_roan_quin_by_evlonarts_d6ih13_by_jaded_night-d775ero.png

Comments

• I did a lot of research on puppy mills a few years back. Those people make me sick =/<br><br>Very nice poem (:
    slipknot-1.png
  • I love the poem. I got my dog from my uncle for my birthday. I found out later he'd bought from a pet store :/ Didn't make me too happy, but I said nothing because I didn't want to sound ungrateful. Anyways, really like your poem [:
    143 I La-la-la-love you [:
  • A great poem! You so amazing with writing.<br>Have you seen the puppy mill thing on animal planet? I don't remember if it was part of a series, or a single documentary, but it was very interesting.
    I'm done with VP. I'll just be around until I get all my dogs and lines placed in good hands. If you want to contact me, please do so through deviantART.
  • <br><br>So, this is to those who buy from pet stores - stop and think about it. What responsible breeder would put their dogs in a pet store where they are going to owners that the breeder will never know? Yeah. No responsible breeder would put their puppies in a pet store.<br><br>
    <br><br>Ehh, not totally true. My Grandparents breed yorkies, and they sell them to pet stores, simply because where they live, it would be near impossiable for people to come out. although i guess thats slightly wrong, because there is only one store they sell to, and they can track the dogs. theyve been known to pop a visit in and check on them too, at their new homes (:
    dogcot2.png
    22/100 mill so far
    I <3 Family Force 5!! on the hunt for another sponcer
  • A great poem! You so amazing with writing.<br>Have you seen the puppy mill thing on animal planet? I don't remember if it was part of a series, or a single documentary, but it was very interesting.
    <br><br>No, I haven't. D: Some of those programs make me so angry/upset it's probably better I don't watch them though.<br><br><br>
    Dogcot wrote:
    <br><br>So, this is to those who buy from pet stores - stop and think about it. What responsible breeder would put their dogs in a pet store where they are going to owners that the breeder will never know? Yeah. No responsible breeder would put their puppies in a pet store.<br><br>
    <br><br>Ehh, not totally true. My Grandparents breed yorkies, and they sell them to pet stores, simply because where they live, it would be near impossiable for people to come out. although i guess thats slightly wrong, because there is only one store they sell to, and they can track the dogs. theyve been known to pop a visit in and check on them too, at their new homes (:
    <br><br>The same is not true with your statement. People will drive hundreds of miles to buy from a quality breeder. I'm willing to drive across five states for a pup from a certain breeder ;D If your grandparents are breeding yorkies to better the breed, then they would have buyers interested that wouldn't mind making long trips. <br><br>If I were a breeder, I wouldn't be ok with dropping my pups off at a pet store. Maybe that's just me. That's the one thing I could never forgive myself for if I were to be a breeder - letting one of my pups go to a home that wouldn't treat them with the same love and care I treat my dogs with.<br><br>I'm in no way calling them bad breeders... I don't know them or their dogs, I'm just merely saying what I would feel as a breeder (which I am not and never plan to be) in that sort of situation.<br><br><br><br>&& thanks everyone ^^
    All good things must come to an end. All endings will begin new good things.
    mini_nickel_vere_roan_quin_by_evlonarts_d6ih13_by_jaded_night-d775ero.png
  • Nice poem.<br><br>However I think breeders are also to blame for the overpopulation of dogs as well as mills. Though obviously not to the extent as the mills are. After all breeding is a business, whether done by professionals or mills and the main aim is to produce more pups to sell, to gain more money.<br><br>Shelters a crammed full of unwanted dogs that need homes and the way I see it is that if someone is just wanting a dog as a companion and pet and not wanting to do any showing then I see no reason for them to go to a breeder.<br><br>And I personally would rather pay less for a mutt/cossbreed from a shelter than loads for a pure bred from a breeder for the simple fact that pure breds are usually riddled with health problems these days.
  • The same is not true with your statement. People will drive hundreds of miles to buy from a quality breeder. I'm willing to drive across five states for a pup from a certain breeder ;D If your grandparents are breeding yorkies to better the breed, then they would have buyers interested that wouldn't mind making long trips.<br><br>If I were a breeder, I wouldn't be ok with dropping my pups off at a pet store. Maybe that's just me. That's the one thing I could never forgive myself for if I were to be a breeder - letting one of my pups go to a home that wouldn't treat them with the same love and care I treat my dogs with.
    <br> I agree. I'm planning on buying an Irish Wolfhound. It's not a common breed so they aren't easy to find. If I can't drive there, I'd be more than willing to pay the shipping to get them to my state or country, so long as the breeder and dog were of good quality and health. Many people do this. My family has even shipped in other dogs from other states. Even the local rescue ships out of state to people who want to adopt.<br><br> Around here, selling puppies in stores is frowned upon by responsible owners, enthusiast, and other breeders. They've begun to implement laws in certain cities that prohibit selling puppies in stores. Also people that buy puppies from pet stores tend to impulse buy, with little or no knowledge of the breed, the health history of the pups, and info on the breeder. <br><br>
    Nice poem.<br><br>However I think breeders are also to blame for the overpopulation of dogs as well as mills. Though obviously not to the extent as the mills are. After all breeding is a business, whether done by professionals or mills and the main aim is to produce more pups to sell, to gain more money.<br><br>Shelters a crammed full of unwanted dogs that need homes and the way I see it is that if someone is just wanting a dog as a companion and pet and not wanting to do any showing then I see no reason for them to go to a breeder.<br><br>And I personally would rather pay less for a mutt/cossbreed from a shelter than loads for a pure bred from a breeder for the simple fact that pure breds are usually riddled with health problems these days.
    <br><br> I have to HIGHLY disagree that all breeders are in it for money. There are many breeders, of various animals(including dogs), that don't even break even when it comes to breeding, because that is not their goal. The goal of <span style="font-style:italic">responsible</span> breeders is to reach an acceptable standard for the breed, regardless of whether they are making money on the animal. Most breeders just want to cover the cost the producing the animals, which sometimes mean they have to raise prices, <span style="font-style:italic">not</span> by creating more animals. I use to breed quality bettas and I made no profit at all(i actually lost money). The only reason I stopped was because some bad things happened to me that took up a lot of my time. Most of the good rat and mice breeders I've spent time talking to make zero profit, and many of the responsible dog breeders I've talked to also make no profit. It's so expensive to obtain, breed, and keep quality animals that almost all responsible breeders make no profit. <br><br> As for the whole mutts being healthier than purebreds. I agree that there is some legitimate reasoning behind this, but it's far from a standard. I've seen WAY more mutts with health problems than I've seen purebreds, because mutts can easily inherit health problems from both parent breeds. If someone set out to breed a mutt with good traits and health, then it might be healthier than some purebreds, but the problem is that most mutts are accidents, or they are bred with no regards to health, so many very bad traits are bred into them. While I volunteered at a local shelter, any purebred that came in generally looked and was 10 times healthier than any mutt. Most of the mutts, particularity any of the medium-small ones, were riddled with WAY more bred in problems than the purebreds. Of course there were a few exceptions for both sides, but from the wide number of dogs I've come in contact with, purebreds definitely appear healthier to me.<br><br> Purebreds also make EXCELLENT companions because they are pretty predictable. Looking at a purebred, you can generally get an idea on temperament, size, and potential health problems. With mutts, it's generally a shot in the dark guess and/or a waiting game for temperament, health, and size(unless the dog is obviously an adult). I also want to point out that health isn't everything. Most people don't adopt/buy dogs because they are likely to have no problems throughout their lives, they adopt/buy them because their temperament and requirements match what they want. I own 2 poms and 1 pekingese. Poms have knee problems, and pekes have all kinds of problems, but I don't care, because I enjoy the personalities bred in their breeds.<br><br> I'm not saying that mutts can't be good dogs(they most definitely can), but a mutt that is accidentally bred or bred with no regards to health or temperament is not <span style="font-style:italic">always</span> going to be better than a purebred(backyard bred, or responsibly bred). The idea that "mutts are healthier than purebreds" is almost a myth when you examine the mutt population, and a healthier dog does <span style="text-decoration:underline">not</span> mean a better companion.
    I'm done with VP. I'll just be around until I get all my dogs and lines placed in good hands. If you want to contact me, please do so through deviantART.
  • <br>
    Nice poem.<br><br>However I think breeders are also to blame for the overpopulation of dogs as well as mills. Though obviously not to the extent as the mills are. After all breeding is a business, whether done by professionals or mills and the main aim is to produce more pups to sell, to gain more money.<br><br>Shelters a crammed full of unwanted dogs that need homes and the way I see it is that if someone is just wanting a dog as a companion and pet and not wanting to do any showing then I see no reason for them to go to a breeder.<br><br>And I personally would rather pay less for a mutt/cossbreed from a shelter than loads for a pure bred from a breeder for the simple fact that pure breds are usually riddled with health problems these days.
    <br><br> I have to HIGHLY disagree that all breeders are in it for money. There are many breeders, of various animals(including dogs), that don't even break even when it comes to breeding, because that is not their goal. The goal of <span style="font-style:italic">responsible</span> breeders is to reach an acceptable standard for the breed, regardless of whether they are making money on the animal. Most breeders just want to cover the cost the producing the animals, which sometimes mean they have to raise prices, <span style="font-style:italic">not</span> by creating more animals. I use to breed quality bettas and I made no profit at all(i actually lost money). The only reason I stopped was because some bad things happened to me that took up a lot of my time. Most of the good rat and mice breeders I've spent time talking to make zero profit, and many of the responsible dog breeders I've talked to also make no profit. It's so expensive to obtain, breed, and keep quality animals that almost all responsible breeders make no profit. <br><br> As for the whole mutts being healthier than purebreds. I agree that there is some legitimate reasoning behind this, but it's far from a standard. I've seen WAY more mutts with health problems than I've seen purebreds, because mutts can easily inherit health problems from both parent breeds. If someone set out to breed a mutt with good traits and health, then it might be healthier than some purebreds, but the problem is that most mutts are accidents, or they are bred with no regards to health, so many very bad traits are bred into them. While I volunteered at a local shelter, any purebred that came in generally looked and was 10 times healthier than any mutt. Most of the mutts, particularity any of the medium-small ones, were riddled with WAY more bred in problems than the purebreds. Of course there were a few exceptions for both sides, but from the wide number of dogs I've come in contact with, purebreds definitely appear healthier to me.<br><br> Purebreds also make EXCELLENT companions because they are pretty predictable. Looking at a purebred, you can generally get an idea on temperament, size, and potential health problems. With mutts, it's generally a shot in the dark guess and/or a waiting game for temperament, health, and size(unless the dog is obviously an adult). I also want to point out that health isn't everything. Most people don't adopt/buy dogs because they are likely to have no problems throughout their lives, they adopt/buy them because their temperament and requirements match what they want. I own 2 poms and 1 pekingese. Poms have knee problems, and pekes have all kinds of problems, but I don't care, because I enjoy the personalities bred in their breeds.<br><br> I'm not saying that mutts can't be good dogs(they most definitely can), but a mutt that is accidentally bred or bred with no regards to health or temperament is not <span style="font-style:italic">always</span> going to be better than a purebred(backyard bred, or responsibly bred). The idea that "mutts are healthier than purebreds" is almost a myth when you examine the mutt population, and a healthier dog does <span style="text-decoration:underline">not</span> mean a better companion.
    <br><br>If people are breeding as a hobby "on the side" if you like, then true, they perhaps don't make a profit. However if your sole income is from your breeding then they DO have to make a profit to be able to upkeep the dogs and yourself - that's breeding as a business, where profit is the main goal otherwise your business fails.<br><br>Perhaps where you live breeding is done differently, but here in the UK everyone is breeding to the standard of the Kennel Club.<br>Take for example, if you are breeding pugs, or bulldogs, or ANY breed with a compact muzzle, your own pekingese. They are being bred FOR that trait, but it's exactly that trait, the compact muzzle, that causes these breeds to be riddled with breathing problems which will require you to spend thousands of pounds on surgery trying to correct and can eventually lead to the dogs death.<br><br>Not to mention that all dogs of one breed are, or will be sometime in the future, completely inbred. Scientists at Imperial College, London, recently found that pugs in the UK are so inbred that although there are 10,000 of them, it is the equivalent of just 50 distinct individuals. That also means the gene pool is restricted, which INCREASES the chance of offspring inheriting two recessive alleles which cause diseases and health issues being expressed.<br><br>I never suggested that purebreds DON'T make good companions. I just don't see the point in wasting money paying loads extra for a purebred when you could get a dog suitable as a companion at a shelter for less. And at your shelter you will probably find, as with many, that most(not all) mutts come in off the street or have been through some sort of neglect and hence their health is poor as a result of the NEGLECT, not by genetics due to the selective breeding of purebreds. And again, I never suggested healthier dogs were better companions. I'm suggesting why would anyone want to knowingly buy a dog that is riddle with health problems?
  • I still disagree, and want to provide why, but I'm just going to step away before this turns into an argument. However I will say that there are indeed very different opinions between the US and UK based upon what both of us have stated.<br><br> I'll also take the time to clarify my misinterpretation. No, you didn't necessarily say to avoid purebreds, you just said breeders(which generally breed purebreds). That's my fault, and I apologize for my misinterpretation.
  • I still disagree, and want to provide why, but I'm just going to step away before this turns into an argument. However I will say that there are indeed very different opinions between the US and UK based upon what both of us have stated.<br><br> I'll also take the time to clarify my misinterpretation. No, you didn't necessarily say to avoid purebreds, you just said breeders(which generally breed purebreds). That's my fault, and I apologize for my misinterpretation.
    <br><br>If you want to share your view then I don't mind you PMing it to me because I am interested in hearing opposing views. I probably won't reply to it thought because like you I don't want it to cause an argument - I wasn't even sure whether to reply in the first place.<br>But I do have very strong views against the UK Kennel Club for the reasons above. It's setting unhealthy standards in terms of how the breed should look which are severely implicating the health of the dogs. What's worse is that dogs with these major health issues are allowed to compete and win shows and are hence played off as "best in breed" when quite clearly they are not.<br>Worse still, the kennel club requires no health screening of dogs before they breed - essentially they see breeding a dog with an inheritable disease and passing it on to the next generation as perfectly fine.<br>I don't know the US Kennel club so I can't comment on it specifically but I imagine it works in much the same way as the UK
  • I'm not going to say that all purebred breedings are done 100% right, I am fully aware that a good amount of purebred dogs that are breeding, really should not be.<br><br>I do want to state that if a breeder is breeding properly, and getting the health care needed for both the mother and the pups, then they will be lucky to break even. Most breeders who breed to better their breed will readily admit this. The fact that it is very difficult to make money breeding dogs in a responsible manner is the reason puppy mills exist. They mass breed, don't provide vet care or often even proper basic care. Then they tend to sell puppies in stores for more than a responsible breeder would. That's the only way they can make money.<br><br>As for mutts being healthier, this is something that USED to be true for one reason. Generally a breeder of purebred dogs is trying to at least break even on the litter, and poor breeders are trying to make a profit, thus almost everything possible is done to save every pup in the litter regardless of overall health. If mongrel puppies were born they were often an accident and most of the raising was done by the mother, thus weaker or sick puppies often died. It was just a matter of natural selection. Now with designer mutts and such, cross bred litters are often treated the same as pure bred ones.<br><br>I have nothing against mutts, my dog is a mutt and I love her, but she does have thyroid issues. Nor would I say that every pure bred dog should be bred, the majority really shouldn't. I don't, however, have an issue with responsible breeders who breed to better the breed, know about all the health issues in their breed and work to avoid them, have a good idea of homes before the breeding take place, and follow their dogs throughout their life. I would buy a purebred if there was a certain breed I was in love with (Tibetan Mastiff!), but I'd also take a mutt any day :P<br><br><br><br>***Also to nickel, love the poem, very well-written :)
    ori_zps9dc2c8d8.png