Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best Of Breed Shows

edited January 2005 in Game Suggestions
The Pros and Cons of creating breed specific events. Updated for your reading pleasure. <br><br>There are two sides to everything, and here they are. If I miss anything...post it here please. I propose that we have the OPTION to create breed specific events if we so choose. And by ‘we’ I mean sponsers. <br><br>There is a poll. Please READ AS FOLLOWS: Please read the following and cast your opinion (as well as voice it). I realize this is two sided. However you do not have to vote, and all comments are welcomed. If you have any other suggestions or views. Please post them now. <br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">|THE PROS|</span><br>○ Events catered to the breed minorities. <br><span style="font-style:italic">I understand how frustrating it can be to choose a specific breed that doesn’t get as much attention as other breeds do. And do to lack of breeding stock, you have lack of bloodlines and the process of breeding a better dog is slower then say breeding a better husky (or another popular dog). Because it takes more time, your dogs may not be at competing potential. They may be maxed, but the natural levels my still be foundation series. Creating events for your breed of dog that can not compete on the current playing field allows you to see where your dog is improving..and where it needs to improve when up against other dogs of the same breed. </span><br><br>○ Competing in breed specific classes gives it a bit more realism. <br><span style="font-style:italic">In real dog shows (most unless they are open class) they are breed specific. That way the playing field is completely fair and the dogs are judged on conformation and skill with in an equal group.</span><br><br>○ Encouragement to sponsor up. <br><span style="font-style:italic">With all the bad publicity people have been giving sponser accounts. I think this may just brighten their eyes a tad and encourage them to sponser up.</span><br><br>○ Don’t forget the little people. <br><span style="font-style:italic">What about use breeders who’s dogs are being over powered by dogs that should not even be in those events to begin with? We may have some super breeds, but can’t touch them compared to other breeds in the game? This gives us a chance to let our breeds shine. </span><br><br>○ Ultimately...to improve the breed. <br><span style="font-style:italic">I want to know where my dogs stands with it’s peers. You can only tell so much when you are competing in an event with a dozen dog breeds. This allows for a more intimate comparison, where you can see what needs to change in your dog when comparing it to the same bred standard. We have a breed ‘standard’ on all the breeds..but those are general stats...what happens when we surpass those stats and need to see if we are doing a good job?</span><br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">|THE CONS|</span><br>○ Breeds not being recognized. <br><span style="font-style:italic">I realize that with the eddition fo these (if ever applied) some of you may feel left out because your dogs are not being represented in events. I realize that the popular breeds will have more shows tailored to them then any of the other breeds.</span><br><br>This was mentioned a long time ago. And I have brought it up in some other form threads. Below are what people had to say..or what I said about it. If you would like to add something else to it. Please post below. And don’t forget to vote!<br><br>
Angel_Pup wrote:
I don't think they should break the events by breed, but they should make "best of breed" pages so your dogs are up against others of the same breed.
<br>but that would be conformation and showmen ship. I just think it would be a good idea to have the option to create breed classes. You wouldn’t have to have them..but they are available if you want them. That would keep out greyhounds form overruling the racing events, and give breeds that race other then GH a chance to win.<br><br>
Alana wrote:
I am with you bara :D my salukis deserve some events to :D
<br><br>exactly. Salukies race and hunt. but they have a hard chance of placing when competing against pointers, retrievers, and greyhounds. The only way that I could win was if I juiced my dogs up now. And i was getting pretty frustrated that random dogs were winning events that you rarely ever..if ever...see the breed in. I like this idea specially for racing and hunting events. So many breeds out there race or hunt, and each breed compeats with a different style. Some hunting events in RL are open class. While others are put on for a specific dog breed by that association. I really did get anoyed when i saw retreivers winning ahead of some of my dogs. They are retrievers..they hunter shoots the animal and they fetch it. They don’t do the actual hunting like the hound dogs do. This way if we were given the option to host breed specific events, we can create hunting shows down if we so desired. Of course there will still be open shows.<br><br>
Ravette wrote:
woot on the breed classes! My pitbulls pretty much suck at everthing but if there was breed classes they would be able to compete fairly! I'd also get into some of the unknown breeds more.
<br><br>exactly like Pit bulls make great hunting dogs (boar hunting) and they are used for weight pulling..but those other large breed mastifs are winning those events.<br><br>
Magnoona wrote:
Adding my vote for breed-specific events.<br><br>And kudos to Bara for mentioning the boar-hunting pits. Even with the equipment for catch-dogs being under my nose everytime I look at a dog catalog, I forget that use, too.<br><br>I'm sure it's already been mentioned, but there's a decently-sized difference between track racing and lure coursing. It'd be great (later down the road when current stuff is mended) to maybe have separate events. Greyhounds would definitely have an advantage on the track, but all sighthounds should get a bonus for lure-coursing.
"One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him." - Chinese Proverb

Comments

• Awesome idea! That'd be so much fun!
  • great but how would you go about doing that it would have to be like a major series of shows.
  • That would be awesome - specialty shows!
  • Woot! and Sabel and I can see who's Azawakh's are better ^_~ *kisskiss*<br><br>Well in VP and in VHR there is already an option to alow events to be catagory specific. This one woudl just be breed speicific..there woudl be a list of breeds you could choose from in a drop down menu. And we wouldnt have to have a hole bunch of series. <br><br>Say some want wants to see how their dogs do in fly ball againse the boarder collie breed since they breed that type. Well they jsut create a Fly Ball event, and make it breed specific so only other boarder collies can enter. This alows breeders to compeat on a more personal level. Like i woudl love to see how my pointers do against the other pointer breeders..however If i create a hunting event. I have Golden retirevers, grey hounds, whippets and other various dogs that compeat as well. And since events only alow i think 30 dogs to enter or some where in the late 20's. If im lucky..half of those woudl be pointers MAYBE.
  • I love it. Definately would go for that. :) :D
    Arctic Divinity Kennels and Rescue
    http://www.virtualpups.com/viewkennel.php?kennel=1485
    Home of fine Siberian Huskies and Alaskan Malamutes
  • Maybe it could automatically be run by the site once a week or so instead of having it run by people. You could just enter your dogs into the weekly showing event rather than having lots of little showing events. It could have pretty nice prizes for best of show, best of group, and best of breed.
    fpbc4i.jpg
    Proud to be specializing in Alaskan Klee Kai, Arctic and Timber Wolves:
    Destiny Kennel
  • Well I spoke with Nef. And she’s gonna read the posts made here. It all depends I guess on the amount of people interested in it, considering there are so many dogs apparently. <br><br>Though if we have the game automatically run events, I think that would be a better idea–mainly because there would be a lack of favoritism. If sponsers were to run events, the majority would run events for theirs breeds. <br><br>However, this could encourage novices to upgrade and sponser up in order to create events for their breeds as well. Or novices could always request in chat and the forum to have sponser create certain events. We’ve always done that in VHR and VP. Since sponsers can create 4 events as it is, a lot of sponsers take requests. <br><br>If the game creates events instead of sponsers. That would be a lot of events. You could just do conformation shows..however not all dogs are conformation quality and they compete better in physical events like hunting and racing.
  • How about run shows for 10 breeds every week? So it would be like the All-VP Show Circuit throughout the year. There's about 75 breeds so like every 2 months we'd go through all the breeds and start again at the start for new dogs. <br>Maybe do 15 shows for 15 breeds every weekend rather than 10 so you get through them all in 5 weeks basically evenly and people don't have to wait so long. <br><br><br>And I hope Nef will read some of the other threads in this forum too. :wink:
  • Maybe the site could host the events, but the sponsors could enter more dogs than a novice. That way, there would still be incentive for people to be sponsors.
    fpbc4i.jpg
    Proud to be specializing in Alaskan Klee Kai, Arctic and Timber Wolves:
    Destiny Kennel
  • Well it wouldn't stop people from being sponsers I don't think. I mean you still get the training bonus and multiple kennels and making your own shows and warm fuzzies from supporting the game.
  • i dont really care how it's done. As long as we can compeat with breed speicifics. Only allowing one breed to enter. There is no point if posting events asking for only pointer or only greyhounds to enter since people will still enter different breeds.
  • I love the idea, I would also love to see a way to get your pups looked over by a judge telling you wether your pup would be great breeding material :D almost like conformation but not quite lol
    trust7500854qy.th.jpg
  • Oooo good Idea alana! I beleive casperkat suggested Trail events like VHR had..so we can rate our dogs and strive to improve their weak points.
  • Thats great as well, it is similar to puppy shows. I do not know it if it could be done but, a best dog of show award. Each day there would be a winner from all the shows done.
    bluegum7io.gif
  • <span style="color:blue">This page has been updated and posted on various threads. Nef i would appricate your opinion on the matter. Even if it is a no. It would let me know that you took the time to go over this. </span>
  • YES YES YES AND Y ES!<br><br><br>Only problem we are going to see is not having enough entries for some of the breeds but all my foundys I'm importing for the rarer breeds will be put in these events.<br><br>Trail Events - PLEASE NEF PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE I'M BEGGING YOU PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!
    vxkennels5ww.gif

Vixen Kennels brands star with VX .
  • Trial events..or BOB events? trial events you dont get as much of a personal comparison. It's an all aroudn conparision for that show type. This way, with the BOB you have others of that breed to compair with and compeat with, it makes the feild equal. <br><br>And with time, you'll have enough of a breed to enter. And you can run the events with less then ten dogs i believe (unless that changed)
  • I am all for this! lol It would definately bring it down to a more personal level. :D
    w6vtaurbannergif.gif
  • It's not a bad idea...mights showing a little fun.
  • This would be great
    loserv3.png
    Never Under Estimate the Powers of a Loser
    Breedin' The Best Vizslas on VP
  • Terrific Idea, much more realistic.
    ccranch.gif