Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your views on critique?

edited October 2009 in Artist Alley
I'm all for critique. I think it is the one of the best ways to improve your art. Because other people will see what you might not. <br>It's also not too bad for a person who doesn't draw, to critique. <br>Though, because they do not draw, they can't explain how to fix it as well as someone who does draw.<br><br>I still don't get that "don't critique 'cause it's a commission" business. <br>I understand you don't want the commissioner to know that you made a mistake on their art that they paid for. <br>But hey, listen to this, you're not a robot! You're human, you make mistakes, if those mistakes are constant, you obviously don't see them, and should be notified...right?<br>Correct me if I'm wrong. <br>I just don't get it. <br><br>HEY, COMMISSIONERS, will you refuse to buy someones art forever and ever if they get critiques? <br>Are you totally and completely blind that you don't notice mistakes yourself?<br><br><br><br>I dunno, I noticed a good artist complaining about how critique is stupid and doesn't work and it's all just opinion and whinewhine.<br>I also noticed her art hasn't changed in years. <br>She learned some fancy hair shine tricks, but that's about it. <br>I see no major improvement from her art years ago, to now.<br>It is good, though. <br>I do like her style. <br>Improvement does eventually happen. <br>It's just very very very slow without any critique.<br>And any wonkyness in her art then is still visible now.<br>(this is no one on VP, I'd link to her but it's a bad site)<br><br>But hey, if the artist is dedicated enough to improvement, they can and will improve on their own without critique. <br>Just a lot of time, with how art is treated today, people aren't like that. <br>If they get too many comments, they're going to get egotistical, and they will most likely refuse critique if it is eventually given. <br><br>And also...<br>People often view harmless critique as a personal attack. <br>That is a huge obstacle.<br>Because art is very personal. <br>And omg if they say my art is wrong in any way they're actually saying that i'm stupid and lame omg i'm offended!<br>I don't really know what to do about that. <br>It's not bad for art to be personal. <br>But if they react badly to harmless critique, they need to sever any personal connection to their art to successfully learn from that critique and improve. <br>But gah, I don't know. I make it sound bad xD.<br><br><br>So I was wondering what you think about it. <br>Why do you like critique? <br>Why do you not like it? <br>Explainnnn.

Comments

• I think crituqe is a fantastic way for everyoone to express their opinion!<br>It shows what people like and dislike if you where to sell your art, and how to improve it for everyonses tastes.<br>Yes people do take it the wrong way and it becomes hurtful but what can you do thats how they took it you where just helping.<br>:D
  • I like critique, I take things into account. tweak/fix/experiment with whatever people are throwing at me if i have the time. <br>Usually I dont post any of these reworks, I dont feel the need to release 'the new and imporved version' of anything.<br><br>I'm not emotionally attached to much of my work, so if someone was to burn it right infront of me, I wouldnt give a hoot.<br>There fore, shred my art to bits with critque. I couldn't care less.<br><br><br>If it's a personal artwork, well then, none of you know about it :) because I wont show you! (well, I think I show like.. 2 people on VP my personal stuff - thats because they know me, and will know what the art is representing.)<br>If I share it with the world, well, I no longer consider it personal.<br>It's like a journal/diary, it's personal to you, it's thought/feelings/ideas/questions/whatevers that you dont want to whole world to know about but even so, you still feel the need to express in some way.<br>I'm definately attached to my personal work, thats why I never post it.<br><br>If you dont want people shredding your art work to bit, telling you every little detail that is wrong or looks 'weird' or 'strange' then dont post it :)<br><br>In terms of commissions, well, if the commissioner is happy, then happy days!<br>The rest of the population could tear apart your art with crit. and if after all that, the commisioner is still happy, why care?<br><br>But I would also like to point out to commissioners;<br> If you are not happy with something <span style="font-weight:bold">POINT IS FREAKING OUT</span><br>>_><br>I am not attached to your work in any way, so I do not care if you say you want the whole thing redone - I'll do it. <br><br>I want YOU to be happy.<br>I dont want you to try and please me by thinking you HAVE to say you love it when secretly you dont.<br><br>Wow, bit of a mini rant there >.> but meeeh... I'm sick of people thinking they will offend me by saying they dont like something D;<br><br><br>Also! If people take critque the wrong way, they should have never posted it. That right there is an emotional attachment xD and in the end, only want to hear how good it is, NOT what could be altered.
  • I think for some people who dislike critique and don't ask for it is because they have low self esteems maybe. They can't take being told what is wrong with something they have worked hard on. They don't ask for citique because they'd rather have people compliment on their art than point out flaws. All they want is a little attempt to try and get those compliments to raise theur self esteem. Now I'm just saying that maybe some people are like that, not all people who don't ask for it.<br><br>For me it varies on whether I ask it or not. Sometimes I don't ask because other people have already pointed it out to me and I don't want it pointed out again, especially when I don't feel like fixing it xD. That is the wrong thing to say, but I'm not as into art as most people that post on here are. Like you said, art takes a long time. I dont always get a chance to sit down and do it. Another reason is, I tend to ask while I'm in the middle of doing it so I actually can change it without too much problem. If I'm still having issues, I'm not going to ask for critique on it when I'm not physically capable of drawing or modifying it how it should be (if that makes any sense). Rarely do I post if I do/don't want critique. If people do then that's fine with me! Most of the time, if it's for class, I will ask for critique. Anywho, <br><br>at least people on here seem to do ok with critiquing. I haven't really seen anyone mean with it and if someone had that happen to them, it could explain why they are hesitant. Like always, the good old compliment sandwich.
    8x32tt.png
  • I like critique, I think it's good for improving skills.<br>But, the only time that I do not ask for it is if something is meant to look a certian way and not everyone will see it as you do and think that there might be something wrong with it. xDD<br>But, other than that I think everyone could always use critique.
  • Nice replies, everyone. Very interesting.
  • <span style="font-size:75">I know I like getting critique. But I also like pointing out my mistakes in words(typing?) because it kind of.. reminds me? If you want to help me learn how to fix common mistakes(i.e. pointy ears, too-long-legs, etc.) feel free. But if I mention it and you mention it too.. and that's the ONLY critique you give with no constructive crits to help me fix it.. then you're just lame, man. LAME.<br>xD</span>
    2mhssbd.png
  • Critique is both great and evil.<br><br>1. I like it because it can be helpful and inspiring. Blah, blah, better my skills, yada yada. You know the drill. ;3<br>2. I dislike it because it can be extremely unhelpful and uninspiring. Blah, blah, people give you crappy info<span style="font-size:75"> (they don't understand anatomy or perhaps just don't know how to describe what they're talking about in a way that's helpful)</span> or he/she critiques in a way that makes you want to give up your work or something. <br><span style="font-size:75">Yeah, yeah: you shouldn't let other people's words/letters get to you but that usually doesn't stop a person from getting offended by people that sound as though they're downing your skills. Sorry to say, but even the best artists can become affected by a bombard of negative feedback to their material - personal or not. Most people don't want to hear that their art sucks. </span><br><br>I personally love having my work critiqued. I just happen to be surrounded by people that don't know anatomy well <span style="font-size:75"><span style="font-style:italic">(still too lazy to practice the art of coloring better so that's not included)</span></span>, aren't interested in critiquing my work, or don't want to 'hurt my feelings'. xD I appreciate the last group's consideration but seriously, I wouldn't ask if I didn't want the truth. Sure, I may be too lazy to actually <span style="font-style:italic">fix</span> it, but at least I'd know for later.
    Birds-1.gif
  • Ahaha, it is indeed lame when someone doesn't exactly know what they're talking about xD. <br>I am guilty of it myself in fact. <br>Which is why I suggest reference as much as I can nowadays.
  • I love critique- when it's constructive. If you're going to tell me "Hey, that doesn't look like a puppy. It's ugly." then the only thing I have to say is "Sod off until you have something better to say." However, I accept people with open arms that tell me "So, that doesn't look like a puppy. The limbs are too well-proportioned, there's not much puppy fat on it, and the ears seem too small for the head, rather than too large as they usually are." Because it's CONSTRUCTIVE. It gives me something to work with.
    2eldxsm.png
  • Ok I'm going to tell you how my college art department handles crits!<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">ALL CRITIQUE IS VALID!</span><br><br>Now some of you might say, but they just said it sucks, thats not helpful! Actually it is! I'd rather have some one tell me that a drawing is complete trash than go on drawing and making those mistakes over and over.<br><br>I two can point fingers at a lot of artist on DA who have gotten 'stuck' on a certain style and never progressed. They are sad to look at to me. <br><br>I can't say that I am the best, but I feel proud when I dive even a few months back in my art files and can actually see leaps and bounds in many aspects of my art.<br><br>Now then in my classes the prof has made it clear that every one has an opinion and that they MUST express it, then defend it. This also works for the art, you have to put it out on the line and be prepared for it to get totally trashed, but be able to defend your reasoning. <br><br>Even a bad critique like: "I don't like it, it looks ugly" can be used. How you ask? Well unless you wanted it to look ugly you did something wrong. I know its hard but look on it dispassionately and you should be able to see the flaws. When you look at it don't say "I am wonderful awesome artist for drawing this." Say, now what seems off in this? Trust me I generally find all the flaws in my best works in a few days. I'll love them despite it, at least until I have a newer better one, then I drop them like last weeks news. After a while it becomes second nature, I am my own worst critique XD<br><br><br>I know most of what I said is about self critique, but I've not had any feed back from others until the last few years, and that really shows too. <br><br>Btw, if you are doing something that has to do with humans or animals make friends with a biology major. They can be the best to pick out the wrong bits of anatomy, and don't put it all down to 'stylizing' that has always been a huge cop out to me. <br>See here is an example:<br>I draw my horse's body like that because it is my style! <br><span style="font-style:italic">HAHA, no its because you have been drawing dogs for too long.</span> <br>D: It looks mostly horse like? <br><span style="font-style:italic">Pfft no it looks more like a dog pretending to be a horse</span> <br><.< your right D:<br>(funny part? Thats my inner debate 100% when I sketch a horse. My critique voice in my head is more like bold, shouting, and the defense is like quite small font. The 'evil' is winning me thinks, because I'm supposed to love my art not hate it. hehe)<br><br><br>
    <br><br>I would also like to add that if you really want to spam my message box on here with art for me to pick at I don't mind, but I don't go out of my way to go critique some one. To me its like if you wanted some one to check your story or homework, you ask them hey, can you proof read this? or can you check that I got all these right? Your not asking them to do it for you, just double check after you've done the best you can.<br><br>Now with that said, I find that I am a very negative critic! Yeah, in the class crits I'm the person who will just out and say your art looks like a pile of poo (but not so nice) I'll say that your art is flat or looks rushed as well, but I can't help being harsh. And you know why? YOU ALL READY KNOW ALL THE GOOD POINTS! Or at least I do in my art, so I don't like when people are like oh I like this part, I'm like I know tell me whats bad so I can cut that part out and do something better. I'm like, yes I love flattery (who doesn't?) but its wasting my time! I've been known to skip over the flattering written crits and skip to the one that stab at the art's weak points. <br><br>Yes I've been called a sadist and masochist on several occasions, and it made me strangely happy? I guess because I got through their thick skulls that their art wasn't worthy to hang in the trash and get over them selves. Don't worry I hold back on people who are not having an ego trip from drawing some bad art and thinking they are the best XD
    2yyqbuf.png
    Due to lack of interest tomorrow is canceled. Let the clocks be reset and the pendulums held.
  • Great response. <br><br><br><br>This board was a good idea xD.