Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OMG! I FOUND...

Comments

• Why if they're both the same gender? Rats are supossed to live in groups, It makes them happier and healthier. Fighting is normal. If they're alone, they just don't act the same... Mine live in a same-sex group of four. The only thing that matters is age, and if they grew up together, that shouldn't matter ethier.<br><br>I wanna see more pics, baby rats are adorable. <33
    wyrm.png
  • oh really? i might just keep both of them then. Ill get more pictures later. My boyfriend is coming over and were going to the rodeo xD So im not gonna be able to get em til later today or tomorrow
  • Man it edited out part of that. I wasn't even using it wrong.<br><br>same-gender* <br><br>How about that? XD If you're really worried, neuter them, but they should be fine the way they are, because neutering is expensive... They only fight to keep dominance, really, or just to have fun (play fighting). A new boy we got two months ago is fighting alot, but I think he's just unsure of where he stands in the group. He usually wins. XD<br><br>Have fun at the rodeo!
    wyrm.png
  • Thanks! Welp.. theyre doin well so far. One is actually EATING on his own without me forcing the milk into his mouth. Im using pet milk now because i think it may be a little bit more neutricious for them Theyre BOTH eliminating well and im feeding them well so cross your fingers.. theyre eyes seem to be TRYING to open!
  • awww congrats on the awesomeness of the baby rats health! <br>hope they continue to do good
  • Oh my gosh they are so cute! Good luck! :D
    14xmkg0.png
    Goals: 13/50million VPC
  • Good luck with your new babies! My mom -almost- lat me get a pet mouse but she said no and I was like "What about a rat?" and she was like "God no!" xD
    Michael Raymond <3
    10.10.10 10:10 pm <3
  • i havent really read this, but i did read your giving them cows milk?<br>thats completelyt wrong thing to feed them, i have hand raised a few baby rats before when my female rejected some. <br>well worth it tho, you need to go to the vets nd buy special formula. the one i used(im in australian so may be differemt for you) is Di-vetalect.<br><br>it is used to hand raise,r ats dogs cats horses etc.<br>cows milk will be harmfull for them. also once they are done feeding you need to (nd this will sound silly) wipe there bottoms to stimulate them to go to the toilet, as their mum would have licked there bottoms for them.<br><br>if you have any questions please PM me as i may forget that i have written here :D <br><br>good luck i hope they do realy well :D:D:D
    SBK Kennels Home of Kirabel Deerhounds
    We strive to breed nd show Good Deerhounds in Conformation nd Showmanship
    MSG me for any info
  • Ive recently started trying petmilk to feed em! and everyone who's keeping up with my little kids... youll be so happy. i know i am... They are BOTH eating... they grab the eye dropper with their little feet and drink right from it! BOTH OF EM! xD AND!!! One has OFFICIALLY OPEN HIS EYES!!!! xDDD ill get pics!!!
  • Did you ever look at the links I posted, btw? You never even acknoledged that I posted them or anything, and They have all the infromation you need concerning dosage size and stuff for the formula Horizon just mentioned, heating pads, etc, for them. Once they start walking, you'll need a heated place/cage for them to walk in. A hamster cage isn't a good place for rats. I've raised three litters, and once they open they're eyes they go EVERYWHERE and a hamster cage could be dangerous if they get stuck in the tubes and such. A box is no good, they can jump out at a certain age.
    wyrm.png
  • awwww congrats!!! i cant wait to see pics
  • yes i looked at all of your posts! They were really helpful! Thank you. and ill be getting pics as soon as i finish feeding them <3nd theyre noally in a full hamster cage.. theyre in a Take home hamster cage.. like... a travel one so its REALLY small and theres nothing for them to really climb in.. ill get a pic of it too
  • okay, just wanted to know if you looked or not. glad it helped! A travel cage is fine, theres not enough room in there. (*cough edit*: There's not enouigh room in there when they start walking alot I mean.)<br><br>I have to warn you though when they get older;<br><br>1. No pine/cedar bedding. Lablover already mentioned this, but she didn't mentioned pine, which does the same thing as cedar just to a lesser extent. Cedar is absolutely horrible, and if you really have to use pine or cedar for affordability go with pine. Try carefree, or aspen bedding, it's the healthiest. The other kinds give them lung diseases that arn't curable.<br><br>2. Don't use an aquarium or hamster cage to live in when they're older, use a barred cage made specifically for rats. A ferret cage is what we have, but at the age they would be funtioning normally the bars are spaced too widely apart and they could slip out. A normal sized cage made for rats is about 30$, the one we have is about 120$. Hamster cages are too small and it's not healthy ethier.<br><br>Oh, one more thing. The ones you have are wild rats, and so they may have temperment problems later on in life and turn into little monsters... Domestic rats that are badly bred do this to, but less often. So if they suddenly cage, at about 6-12 months of age is when it'll happen, it might be better to put them down. They won't be able to live in the wild if you raise them, and keeping an aggressive rat isn't a good idea if they hurt people.. Might not happen, but theres more of a chance since they're wild bred.<br><br>:D pics plz<br><br><span style="font-style:italic">(Sorry if I seem pushy, just making sure you know what to expect. Even if you already know this stuff, it should'nt hurt, should it? I've had rats for 4 years, so I know what to expect out of them.)</span>
    wyrm.png
  • no no! Not Pushy! You just dont want me to flubb up and kill the little angels <3 <-- already attatched to ratties.. Ive been attepting to go out and get some hay to lay them on but i woke up sick.. at 5 pm today so nothin yet. Im not sure what im gonna do about a cage.. we have no more aquariums so i might just have to save up to get one or look up on the WWW to see if i can find any way to construct one? My daddy could prolly help me with that >.>
  • You could construct one, as along as it not out of wood/cloth and the bars are good spaced you'll be fine. They like to chew and it won't last long. Alot of serious people build their cages instead of buy them.<br><br>Out first cage was about 30$, it was a little pet.. thing... it's not in stores anymore though around here. We still have it for transitions and stuff. Then we have a two level worth 50$ we got the year after. and then the year after, the 120$ one. And a bird cage thing. :P
    wyrm.png
  • Ill prolly be able to afford a 50$ one.. But ive gotta GET the money first.. and make sure they live.. Would hamster feed be something they could eat when they get older? I might start pouring milk over some to transition them to eating it if its ok. Or do i needa go out and find some actual RAT feed soon? Im just so glad that theyre EATING so well! I was so scared that when i hadda force feed them that they either got too much or didnt get enough! From how ive seen em eat now.. i know i wasnt feeding them NEARLY enough.. but now they can show me when theyre done xD It makes me feel so much better
  • There is no real thing as rat feed, except lab blocks which I don't recommend. We have mixed feed - seeds, dried stuff, little tiny lab blocks - that kind of thing. I hear that you shouldn't get those becasue they'll get picky, but I'd rather have better health over more leftover food. they eat it all eventually. But they do eat selectivly and fight over the good pieces. Again though, fighting is normal, so unless someone gets hurt theres you should be worried. Lab blocks are a more complete diet overall but they HATE them and they don't taste very good. Rats will eat anything they can find, so food isn't a big deal as long as they have the right stuff. We give them all the food we won't eat.<br><br>Of course, some things you shouldn't give them;<br><br>Fish. They choke on it.<br>Sugar. Anything sugary is bad for their health and they get hyper and start little rat wars.<br>Meat. A little is okay, but they don't eat it all and when they bury it it will rot. They never ever eat it all.<br>Bones/plastic. Bad for rats.<br><br>Yeah that's all. Choclate is okay, they love it. Some sources say it's poison, but it's not, becasue mine are okay and they've had tons of it.<br><br>I can't trust myself to force feed little animals. I'm ADHD, or at least my teachers think so. XD
    wyrm.png
  • xD It was really difficult to feed em forcefully... it got ALL over em and me. I hadda wipe them off lol! And they barely got any of the milk. I hadda get to the side of their lip and wiggle the lip up until they opened their mouths and then i hadda race to get as much milk in as possible without hurting them o.o but now they literally.. LICK the milk off of me.. and them.. and out of the eye dropper! Theyre little tounges are SO CUTE! And i know when theyre hungry cuz they cuddle up against my hand and nuzzle it looking for something to drink <3 <br>PS.. NEW PICS ON THE FIRST POST
  • OMFG, they are sooooo cute :)))
    KENDALLDREAMY.png
  • xD i know! but only me and my mom think so.. everyone else is like.... its... a.... rat.... >.> and im like.. THEY CUTE LITTLE BABY RATS!!!! RAWR! xP im so excited about the ones eyes opening! When i feed em they get milk all over their hands and feet and they begin Sucking on their feet and toes and theyre so cuuute!
  • I wish I would be able to get one but my mom thinks they are weird and smelly. but i reallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy want one XDDD
    KENDALLDREAMY.png
  • When i first got my hammys my mom was like... theyre rodents..... and ur SURE u wanna get em?! and i was like... -_- hammys or a rat.. u choose... and she was like.. "YOU ARE NOT GETTING A RAT!" xDD oh the irony! But When i brought in my babies my dad came in and was like.. -_- and my mom went.. "well.. i woulda done the same thing when i was your age.. go put em in ur hamster cage" xDDDD She hadda feed em today when i was sick and i think she likes em xD She kept tellin me how cute they are
  • hahah thats cool
    KENDALLDREAMY.png
  • Now Both of them have their eyes open! Theyre doing really good xD Theyre both eating VERY well.. they might actually survive xD Theyve actually grown a lot of fur since 3 days ago! lol!
  • Most people don't like rats. It takes awhile for people to get used to them. Prepare for alot of 'ew' from people when they find out!<br><br>Rats are actually cleaner than dogs are. They groom 24-7. The only reason why they turn smelly is when they're sick or the cage needs a good cleanning. You never need to give them baths unless they have things on them they shouldn't ingest.<br><br>You might want to try and litter train them, it's alot less of a hassle on the cleanliness part if they are. My dad says it's too much of a hassle to do it, it's alot more extra money. You can't train them for, um, pee and stuff, unlike cats, but everything else goes. XD
    wyrm.png
  • Most people don't like rats. It takes awhile for people to get used to them. Prepare for alot of 'ew' from people when they find out!<br><br>Rats are actually cleaner than dogs are. They groom 24-7. The only reason why they turn smelly is when they're sick or the cage needs a good cleanning. You never need to give them baths unless they have things on them they shouldn't ingest.<br><br>You might want to try and litter train them, it's alot less of a hassle on the cleanliness part if they are. My dad says it's too much of a hassle to do it, it's alot more extra money. You can't train them for, um, pee and stuff, unlike cats, but everything else goes. XD
    <br><br>i potty trained mine and leash trained him lol... <br>my mom actually told me if i was to get a rodent i had to get a rat because they were the cleanest. she worked in pet stores so she knew all that good junk. <br><br><br>and glad your rat babies are doing so good =D
  • i know! I cant believe people are so close minded about them! I actually think theyre ADORABLE! I think people just think of the steriotype >.>
  • Black plague, yeah. And wild rats are horrible house guests.<br><br>Example of adorableness;<br><br><a href="http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251/NeverwinterCC/hjfdgdf.jpg"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r251 ... jfdgdf.jpg</a><br><br><br>I think this is probably once of the most adorable pictures ever.
    wyrm.png
  • Alma Lacey wrote:
    I totally forgot about this..<br><br>get a sock and fill it with beans heat it up in the microwave for 20 secs<br>that will keep the babies warm - my vet told me that for a baby bird.<br><br>Lamps on newborns can't be healthy (imo) I'm sure they like it dark and the beans will keep them warm.
    <br><br>Alma is right. Lamps on newborns isnt a good idea. Robin you remember when i hand raised that baby bird that Heaven messed with. I had him on a heating pad made of rice that i heated up in the microwave. You remember that right? You fed the baby bird a few times when you were over.
  • They are cute!! you can go to a pet place and buy a supliment. I guess. I think two cute names would be Bonnie & Clide. Or Jack and Jill. Squeekers and Sniffels. I don't know ha ha Good Luck! :D