Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why You Should ALL Watch Doctor Who :D

<span style="font-weight:bold">25. David "Doctor Phoarrr" Tennant</span> <br><br>- Never has a Doctor caused such Beatle-esque screaming fangirl hysteria as that of former Casanova turned time lord, David Tennant, when he took control of the TARDIS from Christopher Eccleston in The Christmas Invasion (2006.) It's been a great three year run with Tennant and fans have watched with glee as he's evolved from the quirky, nerdy, still sexy Doctor to the bad ass who snaps to open the TARDIS doors, walks through fire and kisses Kylie Minogue (oh, to be Kylie Minogue's lips... but, I digress.)<br><br>Surely there will be much screaming, wailing, teeth gnashing and flailing about by fangirls across the world as there will be when we have to say goodbye to Tennant and hello to the new time lord - be it Morrissey or perhaps Jennifer Saunders as the first ever female Doctor.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">24. How often the Doctor miscalculates time & space</span> -<br><br> The premise for some of the best DW eppies ever - The Unquiet Dead , Tooth & Claw , The Idiot's Lantern , The Fires of Pompeii - is that the Doctor doesn't really know how to control where the TARDIS ends up with such precision that he and his assistant don't occasionally find themselves someplace unintended. It gives the rest of us geeks who don't know how the insides of our computers and gadgets work past turning them on and occasional quick fixes hope that an esteemed geek such as the Doctor has the same problem from time to time with his very advanced space/time ship.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">23. The use of literary characters in Doctor Who</span><br><br> - Be it Shakespeare , Charles Dickens , Agatha Christie or the mention of JK Rowling multiple times, Doctor Who fans relish episodes where the TARDIS is plunked down in the middle of the lives of literary icons only to have the Doctor and his assistant influence their work... Or, potentially influence their work, as the 9th Doctor tells Rose at the end of the Unquiet Dead, "Soon it will be 1870, the year old Charlie dies" meaning that The Mystery of Edwin Drood will remain unfinished with no mention of the "blue elementals"<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">22. Gadgets! </span>- <br><br>Sonic screwdrivers, squareness guns, chameleon arches, psychic paper - Doctor Who is a gadget geek's dream, second only to James Bond and Star Wars. We can't help imagining that some very successful tech guru out there somewhere was at one point influenced in pursuing invention, science and technology by Doctor Who.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">21. The wardrobe in the TARDIS</span> -<br><br> What we wouldn't give to be the Doctor's assistant and have access to all those pretty-pretty vintage clothes from throughout history. What always confounds us is that the assistants (Rose, Martha, Donna) wear their own clothes from H&M or Top Shop instead of ravaging that wardrobe for hot va-va voom outfits from the 20 -70's to today... only every once in a while do you see an assistant in the correct garb for the period. The Doctor would be hard pressed to get us out of that wardrobe to check out alien planets and stuff we'd be so obsessed with playing dress-up.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">20. The episodes which don't involve the Doctor and his assistant </span>- <br><br>In the Top Seven Favorite Doctor Who Episodes " we called onto the DW carpet by Kenna by not listing Blink as one of our favorite episodes. (Sorry, Kenna there were just so many eppies to chose from that we focused on ones that heavily featured the Doctor.) In truth, Blink and Love & Monsters are two of the finest Doctor Who episodes ever made and we were negligent not to have mentioned them. It is interesting to note that in Series 4 (2008) there was no "break" episode, instead we had Midnight , an episode which featured the Doctor without his assistant. This episode was awesome because it was 45 minutes of David Tennant trapped in a confined space; but, we must say that we missed our "story about the Doctor, without the Doctor" episode this year.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">19. K9</span><br><br>Come on! Who doesn't want a chess playing robot dog? Really!<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">18. Guest Stars</span><br><br>Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead,) Simon Callow (4 Weddings & a Funeral,) Kylie Minogue (Locomotion & other notorious pop classics,) Elisabeth Sladen (old skool Doctor Who,) Jimmy Vee (famous for portraying Doctor Who monsters,) Catherine Tate (The Catherine Tate Show,) Anthony Head (Buffy the Vampire Slayer,) Sophia Myles (Thunderbirds, Tristan + Isolde,) John Simm (The State of Play,) Peter Kay (comedian)...<br><br>The list goes on and on, Doctor Who attracts some of the best British actors to guest staring roles; and, it is even rumored that in 2009 Tom Cruise will be making a cameo appearance in an upcoming Doctor Who episode!<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">17. David Tennant/Doctor Who on Extras</span><br><br>Conversely, it's gratifying to know that Russell T. Davies and David Tennant have a good, healthy sense of humor about the Doctor Who "brand" in that they allowed DT to play DW in the Christmas 2007 episode of Extras. Now, when are we going to get Ricky Gervais and Stephan Merchant on Doctor Who in return?<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">16. When the Doctor's TARDIS collide</span><br><br>Nothing is better than watching different re-generations of the Doctor interact and deal with each other. Be it The Five Doctors or Time Crash, it's always awesome to watch the hommage that the individual actors pay to each other's incarnations of the epic, unending character. Tennant's comment "You were my doctor" to Peter Davison in Time Crash is enough to bring a tear to the true DW fan's eye.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">Question: What is the plural of TARDIS? Would it be TARDI?<br><br>15. Continuity</span><br><br>Details of Doctor Who weave themselves in such small ways throughout each series that it makes the series writers/producers geniuses by proxy of being able to think that far ahead. Be it mentions of Torchwood and the presence of the Torchwood theme in Series 2; subtle mentions of Harold Paxton in Series 3 or allusions that Jack is the Face of Boe; the words "bad wolf" following the Doctor and Rose throughout time and space in Series 1; or, the statement to Donna Noble over and over again "you have something on your back" in Series 4 - Doctor Who writers are masters at continuity and creating a livable universe for the series to take place in.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">14. Returning old friends & foes in new forms</span><br><br>Sontarans, Sarah Jane Smith and K9, the concept that the Doctor has a child, the squareness gun... friggin' DAVAROS and THE MASTER. The current writing/production staff are amazing at taking references from the older series of Doctor Who and weaving them into new stories which appeal to modern audiences. Props to Russell T. Davies and his writing team!<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">13. Donna Noble</span><br><br>Catherine Tate's portrayal of the third modern DW companion was just brilliant. There was concern that Tate would bring too much of the wackadoodle in The Catherine Tate Show to her role in Doctor Who. Not the case, she portrayed Noble in such a way that was brassy enough to challenge the Doctor and tender enough to make us believe in her deep humanity.<br><br>Planet of the Ood and Turn Left are two examples of exceptional Donna Noble moments. It broke our hearts at the end of Series 4 that the Doctor had to wipe the memory of Donna so that she could live - she was the most inquisitive and eager assistant - and, it was awesome to watch Tennant and Tate interact.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">12. Tom Baker's Scarf</span><br><br>Much has been said about the contemporary Doctor Who. But, what of Doctor Who of yore? There is a lot of great science fiction culture you can take away from DW; but, we would be completely remiss if we didn't give a nod to the scarf of the Fourth Doctor's iconic choice of neck wear.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">11. Doctor Who Confidential Cut Downs</span><br><br>True geeks want, no - NEED - to see what happens behind the scenes and how things are done. DWCCD's are really excellent behind the scene shows (independent of DW) broadcasting on BBC Three on Saturdays immediately after the new episode of Doctor Who.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">10. Captain Jack Harkness & Mickey Smith</span><br><br>Next to the Doctor and his companion, Captain Jack and Mickey are two of the most beloved characters in the modern DW series. Handsome Jack (John Barrowman) inspired his own spinoff, Torchwood. Mickey (Noel Clarke) went from zero to hero over three series and is speculated to be tagged as the companion if the DW production team chooses to go with a first ever female doctor in Jennifer Saunders.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">#9 Spinoffs </span><br><br>"The 21st Century is when everything changes - and Torchwood is ready," says Handsome Jack (John Barrowman) in the intro to the intense DW spinoff.<br><br>It's something to say that Doctor Who has created such compelling characters over the years (Jack Harkness, Sarah Jane Smith) that producers decided that they were deserving of their own spinoffs. The Sarah Jane Adventures starring Elisabeth Sladen, who portrayed one of the Doctor's most historic and loved companions, Sarah Jane Smith, has a more kid friendly bent to the production while they still battle some of the classic DW foes. <br><br>Torchwood is dark and intense like the X-Files used to be; battling truly frightening aliens and human threats to the safety of planet Earth. Plus, it must be said that Torchwood is delightfully progressive, as it promotes one of the only openly gay relationships in the Sci Fi universe: Captain Jack and Ianto Jones are a stunning couple and big props to Russell T. Davies and Richard Stokes for making them an important part of the plot line.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">#8 Daleks</span><br><br>Who knew you could possibly be afraid of big brass pepper pots? Clearly you can be, as the sight of a Dalek and the sound of their perennial "Exterminate! Exterminate!" is enough to give a true Who fan goose pimples.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">#7 Funny Villains</span><br><br>John Simm's Master is brilliantly psychotic and hilarious. Peter Kay as the Absorbaloff in Love and Monsters is deadpan and creepy, enough to make you wet your pants in a combination of laughter and fear. One of the best things about Doctor Who is that it inspires smiles and giggles as much as chills of fear. The addition of villains meant to be amusing as much as menacing as a match to the dry wit of the Doctor is wonderful.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">#6 Cheesy effects</span><br><br>Over the past several years the older series of Doctor Who, from the 1960s until it's cancellation in 1996 have been released on DVD making them available to generations of fans who have not seen them since their childhood; or, have never seen them at all. <br><br>One of the best things about the old DW eppies is the absolutely TERRIBLE special effects that they used in those series. It's kind of like watching classic Star Trek next to Next Generation; or, classic Battlestar Gallactica next to the new series... it's jarring and proves that the stories being told have been what has compelled audiences to watch these serials over and over again for 40 plus years.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">#5 KISSING! </span><br><br>Let's just show them: Rose Tyler and The Ninth Doctor. Rose Tyler as Cassandra and the Tenth Doctor. Madame du Pompadour. Martha Jones. Astrid Peth. Donna Noble. The kiss that DW fans have been waiting four seasons to see: Rose gets her man!<br><br>The Doctor's lips get around and allows me *cough* FANGIRLS to imagine themselves in the arms of the Doctor, themselves.<br><br><br> <span style="font-weight:bold">#4 David Tennant</span><br><br>I know that we already listed DT as a reason to love DW; but, we think that due to his recent back injury that he is due his props once again.<br><br>Tennant - having had the longest run in the TARDIS since the series returned in 2005 - is the quintessential Doctor. This is why: he's wanted to play the Doctor since the age of three. Clearly he has a deep love and reverence for the role and is, himself, a fanboy. This makes him superb at his job and someone who will be sorely missed once he regenerates into the next Doctor come the end of 2009.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">#3 Speculating who the next Doctor is</span><br><br>Since Tennant took control of the TARDIS from Chris Eccelston in late 2005 he has been asked regularly if he was going to continue on as the cheeky Doctor. Only this year has his answer strayed from his steadfast "yes, of course" to the following statement:<br><br> "Now don't make me cry. I love this part, and I love this show so much that if I don't take a deep breath and move on now I never will, and you'll be wheeling me out of the TARDIS in my bath chair."<br><br>Since it's become public that DT was leaving DW at the end of 2009, speculation has run rampant about who would be on the other end of the regeneration, testing out the new voice and teeth of the Doctor in next year's Christmas special.<br><br>This has become such a popular sport in the UK that bookies are actually taking bets on the topic. Currently the top leaders for the role are David Morrissey, James Nesbitt and Patterson Joseph. While these seem to be the most sensible choices there has been a good lot of fun amongst fans who have spouted theories about River Song, Jenny and Donna Noble being the next Doctor.<br><br>I mean, doesn't everyone wonder what it is that River Song whispered to the Doctor to make him trust her in "The Forest of the Dead?" I know I do. Could it be that Professor Song is actually the Doctor in a new regeneration taking the piss out of the old Doctor?<br><br>It's not inconceivable that the next Doctor could be a woman - Jennifer Saunders was a popular dark horse candidate for a while - yet, it is unlikely to come to fruition as such.<br><br>This will give fans a topic to opine upon during the "rest year" of 2009 in between the four specials being aired... leading up to - hopefully - a huge viewing audience on Christmas night 2009.<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">#2 Whovians (aka, FANS)</span><br><br>You really want to know what it is that has kept the TARDIS jumping from place to place for the past 40 years?<br><br>Simple: the fans.<br><br>Doctor Who has rabid, loyal fans - many of whom have been watching the series evolve and regeneration since childhood. In fact the return of Doctor Who in 2005 is due largely to the fact that Russell T. Davies is such a HUGE DW geek. (As are many of those who are involved with the current productions.) It is the clamor of the fans which has kept the series pushing forward since the 1960s - changing to fit the times and places of contemporary pop culture. Whovians are rival to Trekkies and Star Wars fans for a solid place as the number three Sci Fi series fans of all time.<br><br>A thank you is due to the Whovians, fanboys and fangirls for keeping this wonderful series afloat and alive all these many years so we can continue to induct new members into the club via new stories and series.<br><br>DRUM ROLL! Our number one reason to love Doctor Who!<br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">#1 Doctor Who allows us to imagine things larger and more wonderful than reality</span><br><br>The possibilities which are created by the Doctor are infinite. Aside from allowing us to imagine traveling to anywhere in time and space, Doctor Who is so grounded in reality - the character of the Doctor being the most human of aliens - that it allows us to identify with the Doctor in a way that no other Sci Fi character does.<br><br>The TARDIS, while being iconic, is a regular fixture from human history. This has allowed children for generations to speculate and imagine that at any time they might hear the characteristic "vworp, vworp" of the craft, turn a corner and see a blue police public call box on their corner.<br><br>Not to mention the stories. And, that the Doctor cares very much about the survival and advancement of the human race.<br><br>It serves the true purpose of any fiction - allowing those engaged in it to escape into a reality not their own - yet, close enough to actuality to make it possible.<br><br>Cheers to Doctor Who for being so exemplary a Sci Fi show for 40 years. Please keep bringing us these characters and stories for 40 more!
WHITECHRISTMASSIG1.png

(email/msn is now posted, so add me, but make sure to let me know who you are :] )

Comments

• I never used to watch the old Dr Who's, but I ended up catching a few of the newer ones with Christopher Eccleston and then my mum and sister got into it so I started watching them all. That was ages ago and then DT broke on the scene and I missed the wild fangirls thinking 'yeah yeah whatever' but then of course, once he was in full Doctor mode I crumpled and actually loved it!<br><br>The most recent series was SO awesome! Some of the plots were fantastic! And several episodes had me crying my eyes out! *lol meant to be an adult*<br><br>How do you feel about the new Dr breaking on to the scene??
  • .. Ro is just mega addicted to DW ._.<br><br>Oooh. 'the dream' lmfao.<br><br>ily Ro (:<br><br>Ohh. did you write all that?! <br><br>fanatic or what?! =P<br><br>lol.
    ((: ... anqel'
  • well i agree with pretty much everything in that post. It's the type of entertainment that broadens the mind a little!