Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

type change for a husky

edited April 2005 in Game Suggestions
I feel that Alaskan huskies should have they're type changed to Working. They should not be in the catigory Lupus(wolf). Sure wolves and dogs had a common ancestor, but when the wolf evolved from it, so did the dog. Dogs did not evolve from wolves, they were 2 totally different branches from that common ancestor. And before you post saying "no the dog did desend from the wolf!" know this, I am an animal science major at Deleware valley college. I know what I am talking about.
MiniAussiebanner-1.jpg

Comments

• exactly. Huskies, malemutes, etc are closer to the original dogs that human domesticated, but they are not lupis. I am alo in the animal sciences, a Zoo Science major to be exact.
    WeslemoreandAvaron.jpg
    ~*~CLICK me~*~
  • Oh dear ... it's the war of the Animal Science majors haha ... I hail from University of Saskatchewan, Animal Science major :D You are both correct, but might have the messages mixed up a bit, in respect to place and time. As Miroku said, the progression didn't go wolf --> dog, in most cases. It was more along the lines of predecesor --> split to both wolf and dog in two different branches (also in two different continents). But the North American breeds (the basis for the topic post) originated by cross-breds between the native canines (wolf, fox, coyote, primative dog-like breeds) and the European dog types brought over by explorers. This refers to some of the "breeds" founded later on in canine evolution, not their original decendants. Prior to European contact, the dogs that were in North America were direct decendants of wild canids. The earilest reported canine domestication in North America was about 8000 BC where wolf-like skulls were found in settlements near Fairbanks, Alaska. I say "wolf-like" because the skull dimensions were dramatically altered, but they were still obviously wolves. This is thought to be due to domestication and selective breeding. Some of the first North American breeds still exist, though are very rare. Most of them, though, like the Little Wooly Dog, Sioux Dog, Short-legged Indian Dog, Hare Indian Dog, etc., are extinct. These "breeds" were created directly from wild canids.<br>The malamutes and husky breeds that we see today are, indeed, some of the breeds original to North America. The Canadian Eskimo Dog (Kimmiq) is one of the oldest purebred breeds in the world, with breed evidence going back 4000 years. It's first scientific description was published in 1827. Despite this really close relationship to wild canids (often falsly assumed to be wolves, more commonly were scavengers such as coyotes or foxes), Alaskan Huskies are not wolves! haha So, long story short, I agree, Huskies should not be classified as lupus! haha
  • i can see how it doesn't really make sense and all BUT hardly anyone makes working events for mals and sibs as it is, i like being able to enter my huskies with the wolves.
    imjsk2.png