Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So excited! :D

Just ordered my first PB!<br>Was originally intending something mythological but decided that I'd go with my personal favourite IRL breed - the American Akita!<br>I know we have Akita Inu already.. but the breed is split here XD So a Japanese Akita and American Akita are different <3<br>Hoping to get 10x4's eventually and event them in Hunting :3<br><br>What you guys think about a split breed? (I love them both just so you know! Lol)
30912_s.gif

Comments

• I love your PB, their so cute and fluffy and *huggles puppies*<br>Google images will be the death of me. ,_,
  • Luuuucky! I can't wait to have a PB haha i love the breed choice :)
  • Astronomy wrote:
    I love your PB, their so cute and fluffy and *huggles puppies*<br>Google images will be the death of me. ,_,
    <br><br>I know right? :D I'm having so much fun with them. I've added longcoats as one personal colour (a genetic default irl - to make breeding more interesting and realistic!) and I'm planning to add at least one new dye every generation <3<br><br><br><br>
    Garnet wrote:
    Luuuucky! I can't wait to have a PB haha i love the breed choice :)
    <br><br>Thanks Garnet! My favorite breed ever <3<br>I was hoping to not confuse anyone who doesn't separate the breeds - but I'm looking forward to people understanding the types ;3<br><br><br>Here's a link to the breed description - <a href="http://virtualpups.com/help/breeds.php?breed=552"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://virtualpups.com/help/breeds.php?breed=552</a><br>Pretty colours, eh? <3
    30912_s.gif
  • her dog in RL is an American Akita XD
  • How exciting! Love the breed!
  • haha yes yes Vampy. Zane's mom was an Akita Inu owned by a couple from California that owns two of the houses in my neighborhood (no, i live nowhere near Cali so i didnt give any details about where i live). She came up missing and they had to go back to Cali without her. She got prego by a black lab. So Zane is an Akita Inu/Black Lab mix lol<br><br>correct me if im wrong, but I believe Akita Inu's originate in Japan and an American Akita is a different branch/breed of Akita O.o
  • Garnet wrote:
    <br>correct me if im wrong, but I believe Akita Inu's originate in Japan and an American Akita is a different branch/breed of Akita O.o
    <br><br>If I'm not mistaken, the American Akita has quite a bit of GSD influence.
  • I have no clue Zag lol I looked it up once, but I can't remember what was said. I just remember out saying something about an American Akita being from a different bloodline than an Akita Inu lol but as I stated before, I could be terribly wrong
  • Yus! :D <br>Well, during the war with Japan - the breed Japanese Akita Inu almost went extinct because they used their fur to keep warm. People started crossing them with German shepherds and other dogs to stop this happening ("My dog is a mongrel - his fur will be no use because it's not double like a pure akita etc.") eventually once the war was over and there were only a handful of pure Japanese Akitas left they started breeding them back to the original fox-like dogs they used to be. BUT obviously after the war there was a lot of American influence left in Japan and many soldiers took a liking to the Akita due to its loyal personality, courage etc. and decided to take some back home - but they preferred the chunkier version and from that point on mixed the Akita with other dogs like the Malamute to produce heavier set dogs which became known as American Akitas. There is still remnants of the old breeding out in from the war in Akitas today in the form of a genetic fault 'Long Coat' which is a little memento from when Alsatians and Malamutes were mixed in ;3<br><br>This is the traditional Japanese Akita Inu (Hatchi Dog.) as modelled by the lovely Arrow - <a href="https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/970397_382976758469286_1021724746_n.jpg"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">Arrow.</a> - owned by a friend of mine.<br><br>And the American modeled by Odin XD <a href="https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/996573_506563322730674_1013506083_n.jpg"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">Odin.</a>
    30912_s.gif
  • Zanes mom looks more like the american akita according to those pics. the people from California kept saying she was a japanese akita inu. Maybe their breeder lied to them O.o cause his mom doesn't look like the japanese one in that pic you provided lol :P<br><br>So yea, I have an american akita like you like :D I have pics of him in the animal photo section
  • Chances are the breeders weren't lying to you if you're in the US or Canada where they are not recognized as different breeds but are shown as 'types' (more or less like an American Cocker Spaniel and an English Cocker Spaniel :3 ) in the ring. Most breeders have them listed as Japanese Akitas as their breed but American as their types - or you get the BYB's here that don't know the difference between them XD The American Akita is also known as 'The Greater Japanese Akita' in some places instead of American.<br><br>In the UK and the rest of Europe they are shown as entirely different breeds and if you mix the two they can't be shown or pedigreed >w<<br><br>Do you have any pics of your pooch? :D I love seeing the tweenies! <33 Akita mixes are adorable!
    30912_s.gif
  • Yes! Its posted on the pets n animals section. Titled faythe, zane, harley, and others :)<br><br>Idk the owners personally so idk who they got his mother from haha