Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OKAY! I need advice :(

<span style="font-size:80">So, I need some advice! My border collie, Callie, has had bladder problems since we got her fixed<span style="font-weight:bold"> 2 years ago.</span> Just recently, she's been having problems losing it when she's laying down or sleeping. It's not like she's not potty trained, because she's outside most of the day and lets us know when she has to go out. It's mostly at night, or during the day when we aren't home.<br>The vet has given us pills for her to take, and<span style="font-weight:bold"> I've tried everything to get her to eat them.</span> She won't do it! I've tried covering them in peanut butter, crushing them up and covering with PB and cheese. I've tried all sorts of ham, and turkey, and lunch meat. I've tried those pill pockets you can get from PetSmart, and I thought they worked but <span style="font-weight:bold">she always ends up eating around the pill and will just spit it back out.</span> I've tried forcing her to eat it, but she just spits it back up - this is my least favorite because I'm afraid she'll cause herself to choke on them. There's no other form of the pill, and I just don't know what to do!<br>Any advice, or feedback would be so awesome :(</span>
t7y04m.jpg
Training Alexandreian Island Wolve's: 10x4's Caucasian Shepherd Dog's: Importing Stage. Bohemian Shepherds: Importing.

Comments

• Hm, try setting the pill in water till it dissolves and mix in the food. Or try smashing the pill and putting it in food. This is what I could think of, lol.
    s5zspc.png
    My Kennel
    First 8x4's Belgian Laekenois
    First 9x4's Belgian Shepards
    First 10x4 Australian Silky Terriers
  • My dog doesnt take pills either. The only way i can get her to take meds (tried food, pill pockets, treats also) is to put the pill on my thumb and sticking it down her throat so far she cant get it back up and closing her mouth until she swallows. I hate doing her that way as much as she hates me doing it but she needs her pills her her safety. You might just have to do your pup that way too.
  • My dog doesnt take pills either. The only way i can get her to take meds (tried food, pill pockets, treats also) is to put the pill on my thumb and sticking it down her throat so far she cant get it back up and closing her mouth until she swallows. I hate doing her that way as much as she hates me doing it but she needs her pills her her safety. You might just have to do your pup that way too.
    <br><br>This is the method we use for cats and sometimes dog's it's called a pet piller. Lessens the risk of getting bit when your hands is in the patients mouth.
    s5zspc.png
    My Kennel
    First 8x4's Belgian Laekenois
    First 9x4's Belgian Shepards
    First 10x4 Australian Silky Terriers
  • I also sometimes have to do that. Can she catch a treat that's tossed up to her? I wrap my dogs pills in cheese/meat then start tossing them treats with the pill slipped in at a random time. Usually they've eaten it by the time they relies there was a pill in the treat.
    liglw.jpg
  • My dog has to take pills twice a day for seizures and I just made it a good thing for him to do. I would open up his mouth and put the treat in the back of his throat then rub his throat until he swallows. Then I start praising him like crazy and give him a treat. Now he actually likes taking the pills! I can put the pill flat in my hand and he will grab it and swallow it, then wait for his treat. So maybe make taking the pill an exciting thing? Idk.
  • How big is the pill? I have little training treats I use on my dogs, and when they need meds I'll just randomly put the pill in one of the treats during a quick training session. By the time my dog does the work to earn a treat (a series of tricks and commands) he'll just gulp it down without chewing usually lol May not even notice there's a pill in it.<br><br>Kinda goes along with a few other posts, I think the best thing to do is make the pill into a treat one way or another
    forumbanner_zpsa9ecc997.png
    BBB Kennels: *~* Training *~* Breeding *~* Sales *~* Showing *~* Boarding *~*