Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Copyright Question

edited October 2011 in Questions/Support
Okay,I'm looking for a picture of a dog to practice my smudge avatars for dogs(a type of graphic I'm practicing on).I was checking on flickr and I seen the icons about the creative commons license,and I seen one that said "Non-commercial".Does that mean that I can't auction it off(on here)/use it in a commission piece?Or does that just mean for real life cash and not game cash?
Siggy1_zps66f16ae2.png
Not playing anymore...just popping on to get some art every now and then until my VPC runs out xD.

Comments

• For us, non-commercial means you can use it for yourself, but you cannot sell it even for game monies or game trades, unless it specifically states it can be used that way.
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • On flickr, search what you need and then click 'advanced search' (beside the search bar).<br>Then scroll all the way to the bottom and check "Only search within Creative Commons-licensed content."<br>Then also check "Find content to use commercially" and "Find content to modify, adapt, or build upon."
  • Okay,thanks for your help!Glad I asked before I used that picture.<br><br>edit//<br>Say I found a picture that said "Non-commercial" under the license,but I was just going to use it for my dog,would it be okay to use it then because I'm not selling it for any kind of game money and I'm just using it for myself.
    Siggy1_zps66f16ae2.png
    Not playing anymore...just popping on to get some art every now and then until my VPC runs out xD.
  • Yes, as long as the work is to be used for your own private purposes, then you can use non-commercial licensed work in your graphics. Non-commercial work can't be used if you're going to sell it (or its outcome), but it's permitted if you're not making money off of it.
    35ea329b-0292-43cf-beb5-41d1eb59699a_zpsc271b0c6.jpg
    On an indefinite hiatus.
  • Okay,thank you much!<br>I just have one more question about copyrights,I probably should have put them all in the first post,but I'm thinking of them ever now and then while I'm on here XD<br>What is the share alike?Does that mean I have to post a response to that picture with the finished product?Thanks alot for your help,it's really appreciated
    Siggy1_zps66f16ae2.png
  • Share alike means that, because their work is offered without full copyright, your work must be offered in the same manner. A quote from Wikipedia, "allowing derivative works under the same or a similar license." You cannot claim full copyright to it, for example. <br><br>Rarely do the photo providers actually require you to post the finished product on their page, but usually they do appreciate seeing what has been done with their photos.
    35ea329b-0292-43cf-beb5-41d1eb59699a_zpsc271b0c6.jpg
    On an indefinite hiatus.
  • Okay,thanks a lot!That really helps!:)
    Siggy1_zps66f16ae2.png