Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on Dog Breed

<span style="font-size:85">Alright, I have a question for you VPians:<br><br>My boyfriend & I are looking to get a dog (within the next few months) & I was wondering what kind of dog you guys believe we should get. <br><br><span style="font-weight:bold">Here's our stipulations</span><br><br><br><ul class="bb-list-unordered"><li class="bb-listitem">We have babies (ya know, like human babies] in the house (only a couple weeks old)[/*]<br></li><br><li class="bb-listitem">We want a small breed of dog[/*]</li><br></ul><br><br><br><br>Like I said, we won't be getting it for a few months (3+) but we wanted to get opinions so we can start looking around.<br><br>Of course, we are checking local shelters and everything, it doesn't necessarily have to be a full breed, we're fine with Mutts but opinions would be glorious <3<br><br></span>

Comments

• As much as I love dogs of all shapes and sizes, I really do not advertise getting a small breed of dog around children. They tend to be nippy and though a chihuahua might not do too much damage to an adult, could do serious damage to newborns and babies. <br><br>Because of their size they tend to develop a fear of anything bigger, though through socialization (and tons of it!) this can be avoided as with any breed big or small.<br><br>I was really gonna recommend a labrador, but of course it is completely your choice. <br><br>I did find this article though: <a href="http://www.babiestoday.com/articles/babyproofing-and-safety/small-dogs-and-babies-6351/"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://www.babiestoday.com/articles/bab ... bies-6351/</a>
  • As much as I love dogs of all shapes and sizes, I really do not advertise getting a small breed of dog around children. They tend to be nippy and though a chihuahua might not do too much damage to an adult, could do serious damage to newborns and babies. <br><br>Because of their size they tend to develop a fear of anything bigger, though through socialization (and tons of it!) this can be avoided as with any breed big or small.<br><br>I was really gonna recommend a labrador, but of course it is completely your choice. <br><br>I did find this article though: <a href="http://www.babiestoday.com/articles/babyproofing-and-safety/small-dogs-and-babies-6351/"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://www.babiestoday.com/articles/bab ... bies-6351/</a>
    <br><br><span style="font-size:85">I've been trying to talk to him about getting a larger breed and he wants to later on, but he had a Chihuahua that recently died (about 6 months ago) and he's always had a small dog breed so he's been dying to get another one. <br><br>I don't think it has to be something as small as a Chihuahua, possibly a medium-ish dog. <br><br>That article helped a lot, thanks so much</span>
  • I have a Husky/Lab mix, normally I wouldn't recommend a Husky to someone with large children as they have a strong prey drive. Though considering her parents were both between 80 to 90 lbs, she only ended up being 52lbs full grown. <br><br>The one thing I do recommend is to see both parents. Especially when it's concerning young children. Adopting a dog from a shelter is great and anything helps, but most of the time they don't have a complete background history on the dog. Was it abused? Was it socialized or trained? Though a lot of the times you can find puppies at the shelters and I know my shelter allows you to be put on a waiting list for specific breed(s) and ages. Something to look into.
  • I wouldnt get a Lab because they are hyper and sometimes aggresive. I would reccomend a bigger breed also but not a hyper one like a Lab or Border Collie. If you want I can tell you about some of the breeds I have had/have presently.
    qqz5hd.png
    I <3 Keith Urban!
  • If you want a small breed dog, I suggest a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel ^^<br><br>Very loving and friendly. It's unheard of to hear of one being aggressive.<br><br>Somethings to keep in mind though:<br>* Health concerns. Most specifically heart problems, but if the breeding line is good and checked regularly, you can avoid this. There are a few other health problems, but heart is the main one.<br>* Snoring. Gotta warn you, they are BIG snorers if you can't tolerate that xD<br>* Gotta get them out and about to socialize. Cavs can be timid. You need to socialize from an early age to avoid this.<br><br>That's all I can think of off the top of my head. We've got a 4yo boy and we're about to get a new puppy (pup's about a week old now xD)<br><br><a href="http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/</a><br>^ Good breed review site. I don't entirely agree with everything said on the Cav's review, but it does offer good information for someone looking into the breed
  • King Charles or Mi-Ki were my choices too. Mi-Ki are definitely toy dogs, but from the research I've done on them, they're perfect for children.
    2eldxsm.png
  • What about a duck tolling retriver dog (i cant spell)
    liglw.jpg
  • <span style="font-size:85">Thanks for the input guys <3</span>
  • Any dog can be aggressive but I agree with others for the most part. A larger breed would probably do better around children. What might hurt a chihuahua or yorkie most likely wouldn't be felt by a shepherd or a collie.
  • EmmeZoe wrote:
    What about a duck tolling retriver dog (i cant spell)
    <br><br>Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever? xD
  • I agree with the small dogs thing =/ They tend to get snippy with small kids around.. I know my Chihuahua, Heaven, snaps at my niece and nephew and we are ALWAYS having to tell her "no" and bring her to my room and play with her so that she will ignore the children =(
  • In most of the situations I've been in the chihuahuas have been snippy, or to loud, especially when it's a baby's nap time, trained right they can be okay. Dachshunds can be adorable, sometimes annoying, but an all around good small dog when you establish proper dominance, but that really goes for any dog. I've owned a mix of the Dachshund/Chihuahua and that dog was fantastic, but the barking NEVER stopped. You might also want to take into consideration BEAGLES. They are smart, easy to train and groom, very affectionate and playful, and easy too socialize with humans and dogs. They can also make good watch dogs. PUGS are playful and affectionate with family, they require little exercise and can make good watch dogs, but they tend to be a little less friendly when brought around stangers and new dogs. I have so many other suggestions, but if you ever change your mind about size, a mastiff (gentle giant) could be the way to go. xD When proper training and dominance is enforced, the mastiff will protect your family easily, and make a fantastic companion. My mastiffs let the kids ride on their backs and pull on their wrinkles with no resistance, but no one dares come around the kids with bad intentions, the dogs are always their to protect and play with them. They are just great family dogs. <br><br> :mrgreen:
    Goodbye old VP, hello disaster. xD
  • I would have to say a cocker spaniel or corgi. Me and my fiance are planning to get a corgi when we move out of our apartment. And i know cocker spaniels are really good family dogs and are really loyal.
    vq5cvp.png

dragonbar_572073.png
  • I've seen somewhere that cocker spaniels are pretty nippy... <a href="http://indigorescue.org/?page_id=83"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">here</a> is a link with some dog bite info
    (SPIDERS!)
  • if you want a small breed dog i would suggest a shih tzu they are good dogs and have hypoallergenic fur which makes it hard for you to be allergic( your newborns might be allergic to dogs but not these) their fur does grow but they need clipping to keep it short they dont need a long walk what ever you can give suits them <br><br>i would also reccomend a puppy staffordshire bull terrier so yuo can raise it yourself over hear we call them nannys as they look after kids when brought up proper they also dont need a lot of brushing
    10o1wlj.jpg
  • Niscus wrote:
    if you want a small breed dog i would suggest a shih tzu they are good dogs and have hypoallergenic fur which makes it hard for you to be allergic( your newborns might be allergic to dogs but not these) their fur does grow but they need clipping to keep it short they dont need a long walk what ever you can give suits them <br><br>i would also reccomend a puppy staffordshire bull terrier so yuo can raise it yourself over hear we call them nannys as they look after kids when brought up proper they also dont need a lot of brushing
    <br><br>Dog's should'nt be used as nannys or be called that for any reason o.O'.. nor look after kids, and kids should not be left alone with any dog.<br>Don't take me the wrong way, all dogs are different, but you never know, the dog could hurt the kid or the kid hurt the dog.
    flyacdbanner.jpg
    656 Gifties
  • no dont leave them alone with kids but when you are at home they help you too look after them last staff i had evrytime the baby cried she licked her
    10o1wlj.jpg
  • I second Shih-tzu, and the Cavaliers. I have a Shih-Tzu and she is great. Very people friendly, all she wants to do is be with us. Tons of personality, but not too hyper. Not yappy at all, sometimes she may bark a somebody walking by. She loves little children more than she does oldler kids/adults. But, there are a few problems:<br><br>Long haired breed, requires a lot of grooming. We brush ours once a day when she is long, but a lot of the time we get a puppy cut, which is much easier to care for. But.. the groomer's are expensive around here. <br><br>Extremely stubborn to house train. My Shih-Tzu is 3 and still has an accident here and there. Stubborn in general, though. <br><br>Prone to eye problems, dental issues.
    FrostBite_zpsab645aba.png
  • edited July 2011 82.42.43.189
    my shih tzu gets a puppy cut too but its cheap round here she is very very well trained she knows sit,lie down,paw,other paw,beg,speak,whats 1+1,crawl,roll over,play dead,say your prayers,Bed,cage,wheres the ball,wave,stay,heel,come,spin,do you want to get married (i raise my leg and say command and she puts her paw on my foot)<br><br>She is nearly one and is very clever sometimes she barks when she wants to go out but sometimes she has the odd acident tob ut dont let this put you off they are one of or the most child friendly dog they adore kids and attention but they dont crave it
    10o1wlj.jpg
  • Mmm, they are pretty smart dogs. Not as smart as say, a Border Collie. My dog can sit, lay down, paw, other paw, Bang! (play dead), come, stay, heel, dance, high-5, sit up pretty, hop, wait, pick up my pencil and give it to me when I drop it, and bow.
  • Well if this is a "who's dog is smarter" competition.. Clover (Husky/Lab mix) knows Sit, Down, Up, Stay, Wait, Heel, Heel Fast/Slow, Paw, Wave, Bow, Speak, Quiet, Bed Time (She goes to the bedroom), Bed (Which is to actually invite her on the bed), Up Ahead, Say Hello, Play, Drop it, Leave it, Come, Get me (then a toy), Cookie (she knows is a milkbone), Bacon (is her bacon treats), Where's your water (As in her swimming pool), Go eat, <br><br>I could go on and on, but all in all Clover knows over 100 commands and combinations.
  • Haha.. not really. Just saying Shih-Tzu's aren't really credited for being too smart. But they are! Just stubborn.
  • Lol, all dogs are smart, just most have a streak of stubborn. We were lucky Clover took after the Lab in that aspect! She was such a quick learner.
  • It is so easy to spam threads! <br><br>You're lucky! I've always wanted a larger dog breed. But, my Pook is great, too. She does take forver to pick up on stuff.
  • Maltese are supposed to be smart and less stubborn. Let me tell you something:<br><br>-whispers- they're not either of those. XD My Maltese, Finley, he eventually gets bored and just walks away. Just walks away. It's probably just him, but he's: not food motivated. Not interested. Feels like your a waste of his time. Thinks he's better than you.<br><br>The list goes on and on. He knows how to sit and sometimes come when called when he wants to, but it took him a long time. o.o<br><br><span style="font-size:50">sorry for spamming. Couldn't help myself. xD </span>
  • I personally wouldn't recommend a small dog. If possible I would get a Lab, they are great family dogs. If you must get a small dog, I've heard that pugs are good with kids. However they are prone to a lot of health problems. :|
    14xmkg0.png
    Goals: 13/50million VPC
  • If you have a fenced yard I might even suggest a Shiba Inu. If got as puppies and raised around the babies, they're pretty much going to be the kid's best friend.<br>Personal experience. My dog Lola (Who is 4 years old now.) was shipped from a breeder at about 10 weeks old. My sister was about four months old at the time. <br><br>If there's no fence then you might want to consider a Newfie, even though they are larger. Or a Newfie mix. I was practically raised by one. That was the original nanny dog in the Peter Pan book :)
    29etc79.png
    Back in action?
  • I say go to a shelter and see what they have available. Consider an older dog unless you're deadset on a puppy. Older dogs are typically already trained, jump less, bark less, and are a lot better around children. You know what you're getting when you get an older dog and with a puppy you never know. You could raise it around children and then one day it decides I don't like kids anymore. Genetics are a funny thing.
  • Newfoundlands are very good with children if you decide on a big dog. Or a golden<br><br><br>For medium dogs I would recomend a shelti they are smart and friendly but can be very barky if not trained.<br><br><br><br>I have heard that english bulldogs are great with kids for a small dog.<br><br>I would recomend looking up each breed and finding a reputable breeder before getting any dog.
  • <span style="font-size:85">I believe we've decided on a dog :3 & thank you guys for your input [:</span>