Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dogs with "minor" issues...

edited April 2011 in Vent
A dog that: "snaps only a little".."snarls, but never bites"..has gotten into fights but "never caused damage"..is a dog that needs training!!! How many times have people that own these dogs had to explain with a shocked look on their face, (after their dog attacks), that their dog has <span style="font-style:italic">"never"</span> done that before?? How many times must I go to a dog park meant for SAFE dogs, only to be rushing out of their a few moments later because someone brings in a dog that they think has only a "minor issue"??! (I'am no longer going to these parks). A "minor issue", especially one owned by even the most remotely aggressive dog can turn into a VERY BIG issue VERY FAST. My just bought Tosa Inu puppy was attacked at a dog park today by a Malinois mix, after his owner claimed that the Malinois was extremely friendly, and that he was very well socialized and only snarled because he was "excited". I can tell when a dog is excited, and I can tell when a dog has issues and shouldn't be at a dog park until those issues are taken care of. I picked my puppy up and immediately started to walk away from the man and his snarling, "excited", dog before something was to happen. But what da ya know, the poorly trained dog has a poorly trained owner, because the owner couldn't keep control and the next thing I know there's dirt all over me and my puppy Kyou is screaming in pain because the Malinois has Kyou's head in his jaws. Believe it or not, <span style="font-style:italic">I</span>, Zyndalee, the dog fanatic that has NEVER laid a hand upon my dogs, quickly got up off of the floor, and kicked the Malinois in his ribs today, (but can you blame me??). Kyou was being ripped apart like a rag doll and the Malinois wasn't letting go, no matter how much the owner was yelling or how much the nice people at the park were trying to pull him off...that dog was <span style="font-style:italic">not</span> letting go. When I kicked I wasn't trying to brutally hurt the dog, but it was hard enough to make the dog drop Kyou onto the floor. I picked Kyou up and watched as the Malinois trotted off as if nothing happened, completely unphased. The part that really disturbed me though, was that the vicious dog's owner did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to punish his dog. To let his dog know that what he did was bad. All the guy said was "well, that's never happened before." Kyou had to get stitches!! I understand that dogs can be unpredictable and that you can't control EVERYTHING that they do every single second, and that some dogs do attack even when they are trained properly and non-aggressive. But STILL, a person that KNOWS their dog has even the most minor issues with attacking and aggression shouldn't be bringing the dog around others unless they are doing it SAFELY. Knowing that your dog has issues and taking him into a public setting (where he will be heavily surrounded by other beings) without a muzzle and proper control is just setting them up for tragedy. I'm sorry this is so long... but this is something that I feel really strongly about now that it has something to do with me, and now that my new baby was put into danger because of this. Kyou almost lost his eye today, he's most likely going to be partially blind in it (according to the vet). He also had to get stitches in his mouth and along the side of his muzzle. Part of his ear was ripped, and he'll have scars for the rest of his life. All of this just because a guy decided that his dog only had a "minor issue."

Comments

• OH MY GOD! Is this the dog you went to japan for and was going to show? Holy cow you should sic bully on that man. Thats horrialble. A Malinois mix the dog must be HUGE. Your poor puppy i feel so bad for him. I no some dogs have issues with other dog heck emme can get a little mean if rubbed the wrong way but I'v always know what to do and how to keep her out of thoese situations so she could go places. OH MY GOG though i have only been to one dog park in my life because we were staying in my camper with two working dogs and a frenchie and a 100 year old dog but that is the reason i NEVER go to dogparks because that is horriable. I feel so bad for your little puppy.
    liglw.jpg
  • Aw, poor Kyou. Poor you too. People like that do NOT deserve to own pets. It's just...ugh. Something similar happened to us once, we took our dog to the dog park, lemme remind you he is a four lb. Maltese, was attacked by a huge Rottweiler. There was a tiny little run on the side of the park, the "little dog pen" bur the thing was tiny, not enough space to throw a ball for your dog! So, like many other small dog owners, we took him into the <span style="font-style:italic">huge</span> part, where the "big dogs" could go. So little Finley walks up to the Rott, to sniff, and the Rott whips around and grabs Finley! If it weren't for the Rott's owner hitting and kicking the dog and eventually throwing herself onto him, Finley would've been killed. By a "friendly" dog. So we later found out she had just gotten the dog from some people who had just rescued him and could no longer take care of him. You don't do that. You don't take an unpredictable dog that you haven't had any experience with that is a potentially dangerous breed, to the dog park. Little Fin had a big gash in his neck after that, but the Rottweiler's owner paid have of the vet fees. <br><br><br><br>End rant on your rant. xDD feel better Kyou! <3
  • Thank you for agreeing with me. Thats exactly what I needed to feel better xD And as for Kyou, he has no future in conformation and will most likely be nothing but a house pet.. and THAT IS FINE WITH ME.
  • aw! no shutzhund or weght pulling, i no FLYBALL altogh it ,ight be hard with the swimmer turns on the flyball box. :mrgreen:
    liglw.jpg
  • No, he'll probably have emotional issues. Dogs that compete in Schutzhund need to be emotionally stable. ESPECIALLY in Schutzhund actually. If I competed him in Schutz he'd probably overly attackt he guy and kill all the other dogs too.
  • Awww...<br><br>*pats scarred emotionally and physically Kyou*
  • poor dog thats horriable how one dog could desied the rest of your poor dogs life. ah thats just not right poor pup give him a hug for mes.
    liglw.jpg
  • Yeah, we need to start an event for Kyou. It shall be called "Give My Dog A Hug" and each time someone posts, Zyn has no choice but to hug her dog. And then by a certain date, we count how many hugs that dog has had from the beginning of the event to the end. That would be awesome. LMAO.
  • I would like to provide your dog with 200 hugs curdously of me although your dog might be giving you the same look emme gives me after i vacum out her under coat and give her a bath when your done. And its not a plesent look :shock:
    liglw.jpg
  • and by the way...Bully WAS there, but my brother had been walking him outside of the enclosure. Bully tried desperately to get onto my side of the fence when he saw the dog tackle me, but he couldn't. He tried though, he literally dragged my brother up the fence and cut himself on the wire. Then when he couldn't get over the fence my brother said Bully started ramming the fence and tried to knock it down. Lucky for the Malinois and his owner, I ran to the fence and told Bully to stop before the fence came crashing down...and after that I rushed Kyou to the vet and left both my brother and Bully there. xD<br>LOL. When I got back home my brother took Kyou but started screaming at me telling me how he's been through hell because Bully hasn't been able to calm down since I left him and that Bully had to be put into a horse trailer and taken home by a friend. LOL. A horse trailer!!! This added a little comic relief to my day. Bully is right next to me right now. He refuses to leave my side. At first I had wished that he had gotten through that fence on time, but now I'm thankful that he didn't. When Kyou was being attacked I wasn't thinking straight and I probably would have told Bully to kill both the Malinois AND his owner, and then not only would I be in jail but Bully would have been put down, and thats WORSE then jail. *sigh*
  • lol...hugs for Kyou? He would love them! Especially since he's being a big baby right now. He's snuggling into my side and whimpering a little. I KNOW he's not in pain though because he's all drugged up from his vet visit. He's just scared. Thats kinda worse. I dont want him to be scarred, but I could deal with it. Heck, I deal with the rest of my crazy 200 pound woofies right?
  • lol a horse trailer. not even just like a van or hummer or some tihng. poor little guy though.
    liglw.jpg
  • Yes, a horse trailer! The friend that gave my brother and Bully a ride was towing a horse trailer, and according to my brother Bully refused to get into the back of the truck and almost took their arms off when they tried to force him. Bully was just worried, frantic actually, of course you would be worried to if you just saw your mother get tackled by someone else and then jump into the car and leave you behind! xD Kyou is acting much better now. Don't worry about him.
  • WOW! Im sorry :( Stupid people! <br>One time our next door neighbors dog was attacking our dog who was trained NOT to attack under ANY circumstances and the owner just sat and watched as their dog ran off the property -only called her name like twice then sat there watching- and attacked Ruby, and me and my dog Miley (she was if you haven't read my posts before a GREAT guard dog as Pyrenees are bred for just that.) and I were a few lengths behind my sister and Ruby and Miley drug me and got to the dog (Sadie, a Black Lab) and got her off of Ruby. Then my dad went to talk to the owner later and she cussed him out saying we were on <span style="font-style:italic">"their ditch"</span> so their dog had a right to attack us. But we weren't even IN a ditch! We were on the opposite side of the road and she came out and attacked Ruby, that had happened where she ALMOST did before but she actually did that day. We called the cops on them cause then the lady was shooting a gun (even if it was only a 22) TOWARDS THE ROAD...WHERE HORSES WERE!!! So thats on record what happened with the police. But Ruby was bleeding and Sadie actually attacked a few other times but Sadie actually CAME ONTO OUR PROPERTY and attacked her the other times! Its like cant you see your dog is being bad?! Fix it! So that day I went home with a huge scar (reminds me of Miley to this day :]) and Ruby went home bleeding. She ended up fine but thank goodness we moved to where there are no LOOSE dogs that are too bad :P But there is a person who beats their dog and lets her run around- also named Ruby but instead of Chocolate Lab shes Black tehe- but shes so sweet..shes just hyper lol.
    qqz5hd.png
    I <3 Keith Urban!
  • thats horriable i can't beleivethoese people
    liglw.jpg
  • That's awful! I'd have given the owner a piece of my mind.<br><br>My Pit/Rhodie mix is only partially dog-aggressive but I'd NEVER think about taking her to a dog park AT ALL where she could cause trouble. I know how to properly handle her now, but there's still no way! As for Max, he grumbles and barks at other dogs but hasn't ever hurt one (he's been attacked before and just stood there, motionlessly) and I'd still never even bring him around a dog park. I'm not risking any bad situations over a "minor issue", like you said. To me, any issue isn't a minor one. It needs to be fixed before you assume everything's okay.
  • That's awful! I'd have given the owner a piece of my mind.<br><br>My Pit/Rhodie mix is only partially dog-aggressive but I'd NEVER think about taking her to a dog park AT ALL where she could cause trouble. I know how to properly handle her now, but there's still no way! As for Max, he grumbles and barks at other dogs but hasn't ever hurt one (he's been attacked before and just stood there, motionlessly) and I'd still never even bring him around a dog park. I'm not risking any bad situations over a "minor issue", like you said. To me, any issue isn't a minor one. It needs to be fixed before you assume everything's okay.
    <br>yeah, same with my dogs..their mostly just socialized with mine and my friends dogs.
    qqz5hd.png
    I <3 Keith Urban!