Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Zyndalee's vent

Comments

• Okay, so I've watched this post for the longest time, I've watched you guys talk about your dog's amazing feats. And Em, when you talked about a seeing eye Shih-Tzu, I had to post. Cookies to the trainer that trained that dog, because these dogs should be on the hardest to train list. At least, my dog should. Pook has a mind of her own, and she is stubborn. She is what? Three now? And still occasionally has an accident in the house. I can't punish her for it because by time I get home, she has probably forgotten she even did it. She takes so long to train. Most dogs learn sit in a matter of 3-5 times, Pookie probably took about 15 times. Some of the things I've taught her ARE rather hard, though. Those took weeks of constant repetition. Okay, I'm done ranting about her, onto the good stuff. I feel like this dog could take over the world someday, but then again, don't we all? I've seen her chase after dogs 5 times her size, not techinically a good thing, but she obviously doesn't know her size. She can be smart if she wants to, and she is smart when it comes to little, pointless tricks. Okie, I'm done here.
    FrostBite_zpsab645aba.png
  • ya i no so far i havent had a ton of dogs but as far as puppys and dogs trainability iv gone from one eqtream to the other because i got emme my border collie and she came out of the womb looking to please and when i trained her i could se the weels turning in her head and she was just absoultly focused 1000% and picked things up like that as long as you praised her enough because that is what she lived one. once i thought id train her to put stuff in a basket so the first time the ball went in the basket i had a party and she has been doing it ever sence. but i also have a boxer puppy at the moument and he plays the deaf, blind, dumb, and atistic card. he is ALWAYS distracted could care less if you thought he was good as long as he got a cookie and he is hard headed as can be. ill grab his collar or try and put a leash on him and he abosolutly despises it he will only do something if he wants to or he thinks its a good idea and just a pain in the butt.<br><br>really so i could like get a chiwaw and do weight pulling
    liglw.jpg
  • Yeah, the Shih-Tzu isn't the smartest dog in the world, but neither is the Bull Terrier and I've seen the dog do amazing tricks. Yes, Emme, you could train a chihuahua to do weight pulling. He could even win. It all depends on the dog's WEIGHT CLASS. Weight Pull is judged on how much your dog can pull compared to how much the other dogs his/her size can. It really doesn't matter what breed, if you can train it to pull you can compete it. You should watch videos on youtube of the little breeds doing their pulls, it's so cute.
  • lol i will but i looked up a chiwaw (sorry i cant spell) and saw this horriable man make his dog pull a small lenghth of boat chain while it was hooked to its collar and i think ill take your challenge and turn em into a weight puller lol no i dont think so unless there is agility being run at the end of the course i dont think she would pull alot and i dont think it would be a good idea to make her <br><br>also fox yelled at me :evil:
    liglw.jpg
  • EmmeZoe wrote:
    lol i will but i looked up a chiwaw (sorry i cant spell) and saw this horriable man make his dog pull a small lenghth of boat chain while it was hooked to its collar and i think ill take your challenge and turn em into a weight puller lol no i dont think so unless there is agility being run at the end of the course i dont think she would pull alot and i dont think it would be a good idea to make her <br><br>also fox yelled at me :evil:
    <br><br><br>lol, Fox yells at everyone that gets on his nerves. What did you do? Tell me now, this is one of the few times I'll be able to get on till the 14th! haha, after that, he'll be running things again. I told everyone he bites harder then I do. xD
  • well he said that he wasnt allowed to anwser your pms now and so i asked if he was the one i talked to you before then he kicked me off your goodie dye tread becasue i dont use proper puntuation
    liglw.jpg
  • lol..yup, that sounds like fox to me.
  • Ya. How do you even no him? He is a grouch
    liglw.jpg
  • He was the first person I met when I moved to this state. I know him in RL, he's not a grouch, he just takes to certain people and dislikes others.
  • Oh ok... I feel hated
    liglw.jpg
  • I know I'm jumping into this thread a little late, but I couldn't resist. Man that sucks. I hope she is doing ok now though, and I hope her surviving pups are ok. People can be so cruel and heartless. I've had some bad experience like that before with animal control. When I was younger (about 10 or 11 I think), we were living in an area where there was a freaking a puppy serial killer. The guy would take loved and well cared for puppies out of their yards, off their leashes, and then heartlessly murder them. We found a Border Collie/Golden Retreiver puppy, probably no older than 4 months. We couldn't find the owner, but we put up flyers. We waited a week and my parents said that if we didn't find the owner then we could keep the puppy. We named her Taffy, because she was light golden like some taffy candy is. We ended up finding the owner, and they said we could buy her if we wanted but we didn't have the money they were asking so we didn't. A few days later my dad woke up to yelps in our front yard, so he rushed outside and she was laying there on the brink of death, beaten with my little brothers baseball bat which he left in the yard. Whoever did that to her knew we had been caring for her, so they took her off her leash and brought her two blocks over to our house simply to beat her half to death and leave her to die. She had to be put to sleep, the damage was to severe. I was so angry, and I had a good idea who did it but we couln't prove anything so the cops didn't look into it. A few weeks later, our neighbors lab mix puppy was found hung by a hanger on the clothesline in his backyard. Probably about 4 months old as well. He had also been doused in gasoline and set on fire. The puppy lived though, against all odds though, he pulled through and was adopted out. But get this; the animal control officer who took the puppy to the vet said the puppy probably did it to itself. Seriously? Anyway....didn't mean to ramble. People like that just make me sick. The person who was hurting and killing all of those puppies was never caught, and thats the part that really gets to me. The guy lived like three hourses away, it had to be him. Who else would it be? I mean, the guy would buy small puppies and kittens from the pet store and feed them to his giant boa constrictor, instead of feeder rats or mice, and he would shoot birds out of the sky and just leave them there. If he was capable of doing those things then he is certainly capable of hurting and killing all those innocent puppies. Anyway...I'm dont ranting and rambling.
  • Gemini, your post broke me heart. That guys should be inprison for the rest of his life.
    14xmkg0.png
    Goals: 13/50million VPC
  • It breaks my heart, too. I'm not sure if the guy was ever caught, we moved away from there a few months after it all started and I never heard anything else about it. I still miss that puppy. Granted, we weren't able to pay for her anyway, but I'd be happy with just knowing she was alive and well. I don't know if she'd still be alive today, if she was then she'd be old. I just can't believe anybody could be capable of such a terrible act.
  • Oh my gosh those poor pups how could any one hurting a living thing especially a puppy I can't believe someone would do that
    liglw.jpg
  • That's awful. I also have to say, as a snake lover, there is no reason why anyone should ever feed a snake puppies... after they outgrow rats you are supposed to move on to rabbits.
    (SPIDERS!)
  • I'm not really a snake person. I'm not like really scared of them or anything, but I just wouldn't want one as a pet. You're right though, there is no reason to ever feed a snake puppies or kittens.
  • Ugh..sorry you had to witness that. On halloween my cat was nailed to my door by her scruff and paws. We weren't home when it happened, she had escaped through an open window. The sick things is I've read other stories where people tell of their cat being nailed to their doors too. It's like a fad or something. My little girl lived though, she isn't even scarred. She was lucky. Feeding puppies to a snake? Who could ever do that?? Like the guy that was throwing the puppies off of the bridge..actually not puppies, wolf cubs. By the way Gemi, the wolf cub I saved from being thrown is in great health. It's amazing how big he's gotten. I gave him to a wild life rescue about a week ago because he kept trying to hunt my hamsters..it was a good choice though. Whenever I visit I can tell he's so happy in his very own wolf pack. I also had to get rid of him because he attacked Bully...what the heck was HE thinking?? He was almost killed that day, good thing Bully stops all attacks when I tell him too. And by the way. This IS Zyndalee. I'm sorry for all the confusion that's been going on with Fox coming on here and all, but from now on...it should only be ME. xD
  • My god. Gemini, that's awful. I heard serial killers start with animals, then move on to people.
  • Thats horrible. The things some people are capable of makes me sick. I want to be an ASPCA Special Investigator, I want to be able to make a difference and help animals in any way I can. Heck, maybe I'll even open my own rescue someday where all dogs and cats (and whatever else is thrown my way) is never rejected like the husky you rescued. Of course I remember the wolf pup. I'm glad to hear he is doing ok, and I bet he is glad to have his own pack now. He attacked Bully? Wow, glad to ehar he survived that. Its good Bully listens to you so well though. I wish I knew your trick on dog training. lol I've tried on several occasions to train my dogs I've had in the past and have had no luck whatsoever. I've dog sitting my mother in laws dog this weekend. He is a black Bichon Havanese, he is so cute but a royal pain in the butt. lol<br><br>Yeah, Frost, I've heard the same thing.
  • That's all so horrible. And ya lala is amazing at train from what iv herd I'm tring to train my boxer to do shutzhund but have no idea what to do or even if a boxer could do shutzhund. And I'm pretty sure she does conformation to so god bless her for that as I was at an obedience/rall-o/ breed show and twice a dog got lose and 50 people started running and screaming and trying to close the doors but NO ONE even called the dog or said come and it was compleat madness.<br><br>I cant even think of feeding a mouse to a snake and feeding it a poor bunny is HORRIABLE but a kitten or puppy I can't even imagine what is going on in this mans head
    liglw.jpg
  • I don't even know my trick on dog training xD I don't believe I have one...I just connect with my dogs on a level that I could never connect with a person..and I understand them. As cheesey as that sounds XD It works...my dogs love me, that's why they listen, not because they fear me. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've seen terrified dogs that are "obedient" only because they're afraid of getting hit in the back of the head or choked by a leash.. It's disgusting. I can honestly say that not ONCE in my life have I EVER hit one of my animals, nor have I been overly aggressive and demanding. It all depends on the bond you have, the dog will more likely listen to you if he WANTS to, and if he loves you enough to WANT to please you. I got a Caucasian Overcharka once, but it was only for a few weeks. I could tell that that dog had an owner that he had already loved and been loyal to because he wouldn't listen to me AT ALL, and you could see that he missed his real owner, and it was so hard to bond with him. My dogs will never listen to another person like they listen to me because they are loyal only to ME..they are already attached to me.. I believe it's true that a dog will always only have that ONE TRUE owner..he might listen to the rest of the family too, but there's always that person that they want to please most.<br><br>By the way..if ANY of you ever need tips on training feel free to ask. Emme I could give you SO much tips on training your dog for Schutz..and believe me, a Boxer CAN do it.
  • I've never laid an aggressive hand on Pook while training her, or in general. I've stepped on her, but that was a total accident. She is fairly obedient. I just had to keep at it, everyday. Sit has become a reflex, lay down I just need to use a firmer tone, and stay is easy. It is come, oh my. Don't get me started. This dog won't come for the life of her, and that may be a reality someday! Recalling can save a dog's life. Any tips on recalling, Zyn?
  • The way I trained my most stubborn puppy to come was by giving him a treat everytime he came to me. Eventually he'll no that when he comes to you good things happen. When he's used to coming and he comes whenever you call you can replace the treat with love, give him hugs and let him know you're very proud of him. Soon it will just be a reflx to come whenever you call. Bully is the dog I was having trouble with when it came to the command COME, he wouldn't listen AT ALL. Now a days, he can be 100s of yards away and AS SOON as he hears me calling he''ll come bounding towards my voice, no matter what the situation, even he if he's chained up and I'm persistant enough in calling him, he's not afraid and wont hesitate to BREAK the chain. Sometimes now when I tell him to come he comes near me..and I say "not close enough"..and he'll scoot closer.. after he scoots closer I say "still not close enough"..and he scoots even closer..I keep saying "not close enoguh" until eventually he's on my lap..it's just a game I like to play xD
  • Emme, I agree. I would never feed a snake a rabbit, let alone a poor little puppy or kitten. Disgusting and cruel is the only thing I can think to say on the matter.<br><br>You do have a point, Zyn. My problem problem whwn trying to train a dog is that I get frusterated really quickl;y, and they can sense that so they don't listen to me like I'd like them too. I had a Standard Poodle once, I hate poodles but that dog was amazing. I miss her. We got her for free from a friend who was moving and couldn't take her, so she asked if we wanted her because she wanted the dog to at least go to people she already knew and trusted. This dog was trained to sit and wait at the curb when going for a walk, in case of cars. She would sit and wait until you told her it was ok to go. And if you were walking her and say you accidently dropped the leash, she would stop dead in her tracks and wait for you to pick it back up. She never ran away, we only kept her on a leash because of the leash law. She was so well trained, all because of her previous owner. You could tell she missed her old owner, but she seemed equally loyal to us (me and my family), but me and Trudy (the dog) had a special bond. I swear she could understand every word I said, and if I was upset about something I'd talk to her about it and she would lay her head on my lap and comfort me for as long as I needed her to. We had to give her to my grandpa when some family stuff came up and we couldn't take care of her anymore. I wish we didn't have to give her up, but we didn't have a choice. :( Anyway...like I said, you're right. I've seen some people train dogs by simply being mean and demanding, and the dogs do listen for the most part, but out of fear, not loyalty. You remember the Rott/Doberman mix I told you about, Zyn? She is a perfect example of how being kind and patient is a better method than being cruel. If you don't remember then here is a quick recap: the dog was abused on a regular basis, starved and beat daily. All this to turn her mean so she would be a good watchdog. Then when we moved next door and started feeding her she ended up being our watchdog. All we did was show her some kindness, next thing we knew she was sitting in our yard, growling at anybody who came to close. She never attacked anybody, but I think she would have if she felt like we were threatened. I think her growling was just to let people know she was there and watching them, she was trying to protect her true owners. And by that I mean me and my sisters and parents. WE were the ones who fed her. WE were the ones who brought her inside on cold nights when she was left out doors with no shelter. WE were the ones that found her out in the backyard delivering a litter of puppies in 20 degree weather. Because of the weather, two of the puppies died. I was just glad we got to her before she had the whole litter or she might have lost them all. Threee puppies were already born when we found her, two were already dead and one was near death. Luckily, we managed to get the third puppy born out in the cold warmed up and feeding. A total of seven puppies lived out of nine, although the majority had health issues due to them ebating and starving her throughout the whole pregnancy. I just wish we could have done more for her and those puppies. Anyway...there I go rambling again. I can't help it. I just start typing and can't stop myself. lol
  • Of course I remember. I remember all of the stories we tell each other : ) Thats great for a poodle, the poodles that I've had to deal with are generally harder to train. All of my dogs are trained to wait at the curb until I tell them that it's ok, whether they are on a leash or not, they listen to my every command, and when I let them run free they never go pass the side walk and onto the street. I think its funny when people think their dogs are so well trained and as soon as they take the dog off of it's leash it runs away wildly. LaLa and Bully have always been the two dogs that had a special place in my heart, Laru came from an abused home when she was just a puppy, but we immediately bonded..and then I discovered how smart she was. She knew nothing when I first got her, but after we bonded she literally learned sit, stay, some, lay down, spin, chase tail, roll over, speak, and play dead within 45 minutes..all the tricks she learned after that took five minutes or less. She never ceases to amaze me. Her and Bully no every trick that I could possibly teach them (even to open the fridge and get me stuff, and to sneeze and cough on command xD), so I started them in competition, and when they excelled in that and there was no more to learn I entered them into volunteer work with the blind and elderly, and they go weekly.. they both do so well and have officially learned sign language and all their tricks and commands in Spanish xD It's truely amazing what dogs can comprehend. Whenever I get mad at mine I don't scream or yell I simply say "Go to your room, NOW." and they will immediately run upstairs to my room and go into their crate, LaLa will even close the crate door with her paw as soon as she gets inside. They understand punishment and they understand feelings. I hate when people underestimate them and think they're dumb or something. And by the way..I like to rant and ramble to if you haven't noticed..so it's ok on my threads ;)
  • And I would just like to mention that like Laru and Bully, ANY dog can excell in unbelievable things. They all have the capability to learn amazing things.. it just depends on how you train them. I've had dogs that got no training and were absolute terrors, but as soon as they were properly trained they became little angels. training is one of my passions..it might be a weird one, but I love it xD It makes me feel like such a teacher, and dogs are among the easiest animals to teach.. Anyone that has patience and love for their animals (and common sense) can be a teacher xD It doesn't matter if the dog is stubborn or inpatient.. I don't believe there is such a thing as a "dumb dog"..before you call a dog dumb..take a look at their owner and you'll probably be able to see the problem xD
  • I own a Poodle x Maltese mix and a Maltese. (not related, I'm against breeding unless it's to better a pure breed) and the Poodle mix is the smartest dog I have ever trained. She lives to please, she'll do anything for you. Except stay still. The Maltese on the other hand, is IMPOSSIBLE. So stubborn! He's so lazy too. He just...it's gotten to the point where I've just given up. LOL.
  • Finny wrote:
    I own a Poodle x Maltese mix and a Maltese. (not related, I'm against breeding unless it's to better a pure breed) and the Poodle mix is the smartest dog I have ever trained. She lives to please, she'll do anything for you. Except stay still. The Maltese on the other hand, is IMPOSSIBLE. So stubborn! He's so lazy too. He just...it's gotten to the point where I've just given up. LOL.
    <br><br>haha fin..NEVER give up on the dog you love!!
  • i agree i dont see how any one could lay a hand on a poor defensless dog if i did that to poor em she would hate me forever and bambam is stuben as i have ever seen a dog could be but if you talk to him in a baby or calm soothing voice and he does what ever you want you try to make him and he goes ninja on you with his razzor shap puppy teeth he is FINALLY starting to loose<br><br><br>oh good so uh what should i do with him first and dont worry about the constant barking part or the bitting part of shutzhund he has got that down pretty good i say as he barks constintly and is allways bitting/chewing on somebody but i think he would do good because he seemed to be very motovated and is going to be big if that helps but he will also have long legs so he can jump the jump
    liglw.jpg
  • I remember all the stories we tell eachother, too. :mrgreen: Wow, thats incredible. Dogs are smarter than a lot of people realize. I believe dogs are capable of feeling human emotions. Me and an old friend would often have heated debates about the matter. She said it was never real emotion the animal was feeling, more like instinct. So I said something about how if a dog loses a puppy its going to feel sad and depressed, she said it would merely be the animals instinct to feel that way. I know for a fact thats true, because before we got my poodle, she was bred with a stud (the owner was pallning on breeding and showing her, but then some stuff came up and thats when she had to move), she was probably about half way through her pregnancy and somehow she got a hold of some fertilizer. It nearly killed her and she lost her litter. She was depressed for weeks after that. The owner was paying me to walk her every day, so when I came to get her a few days after she got back from the vet, she came to the door to see me but then went back to her bed and just laid there, looking utterly miserable. I swear, she would have been crying if she could. She was like that for weeks. Hardly eating, laying around all day. Even a blind man would be able to see she was depressed. You're right, any dog is capable of amazing things. Its just the owner that is usually the problem, and its sad because a lot of the time they don't even realize it, so they end up getting rid of the dog as if it were their fault. Its how the dog was raised and trained that makes it the way it is. Like a Pitbull....they aren't born killers, they are turned into killers by selfish and cruel owners. Its not their fault, and it breaks my heart because when there is busts on dog fighting rings, the Pitbulls that are seized are put to sleep because they are deemed unsafe to adopt out to the public. I've only had a bond like that with two dogs, my Poodle and the Rott/Doberman mix. I had an Australian Cattle Dog/Lab mix when I was younger. She was a good dog, but she was so hyper and it was a lot for me to handle. I was only about 12 at the time, it was my first dog, so I knew nothing about training. I tried, but failed miserably. She was a neighborhood stray that liked to hang around our house, so we started feeding her and eventually my mom said we could keep her. One day she got out and ran off down the street, my neighbor said she tried to bite her son. I don't believe she really did, she was very sweet and she loved kids. But the lady said either we got rid of her or she would call Animal Control. So my mom took her to the pound. I cried for weeks after that. We took her to a no kill shelter, so I know she wasn't put to sleep, but I have no idea what happened to her after we gave her up. I've had such bad luck with pets. My mom used to joke around saying we were basically an animal shelter because my and my sisters would take in any stray we found, and on several occasions we took in abandoned baby birds. We found a baby Starling once, it still had its downy feathers so it was still pretty young. It had been in our yard for a long time, hiding behind a bush. We kept an eye on it to make sure no cats got it and also to see if its parents were hanging around, but after almost an entire day of watching it and no sign of the parents anywhere, we took it in. We tried calling an animal rescue center, but they said they couldn't take it because they didn't take Starlings. We tried to nurse the poor thing back to health, but it died a few days later. I'm glad you don't mind my ranting and rambling, because I can't help it. hehe I don't mind yours eaither. :) <br><br>I guess one of my problems with training a dog is I haven't really found a dog I really connect with, other than the two I mentioned above. But the poodle was already trained and I was so young when I had the Australian Cattle Dog/Lab mix, so I didn't really know what to do or anything in the way of training.