Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Victoria Stillwell or Cesar Millan?

2»

Comments

• Deeepp breath.. In, hold one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten.. and out. Okay, you may now return to the regularly scheduled thread, please keep on keeping it civil, thank you
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • I've been pretty proud of us for keeping this relatively calm, Bama 8D Usually these discussions turn into a major flame war.<br><br>I guess we're just lucky that I'm not an idiot who will happily kick my dog. xD We've been yelled at by a Petsmart trainer before when he saw us making her sit as a puppy rather than trying to get at every dog that she saw (not aggressively, just in a IWANNAPLAYNAO way). But then another trainer came over and saw that she wasn't shy, nervous, or fearful, and that she not only knew how to sit and lay down at five months old, but also did it through hand signals alone.
    2eldxsm.png
  • My puppies have known sit and lie down by 5 months and it's far better to have them under control rather than letting them bounce all over everyone or other dogs, was not easy with a cocker mix puppy though :roll:, less likely to get your puppy in trouble with other owners
  • Yeah. xD Like I said, Kira's a border collie mix. The one thing she's not cool with is the whole "Stop. Moving." bit. *stares at her* Even when we ask her to sit, she'll only sit for all of a few seconds. Then she lays down, sits again, paws the air, lays back down, and barks at us. She tries to read minds- she just does a poor job at it. xD
    2eldxsm.png
  • Yes, you guys have been doing really good, just giving a friendly reminder since you were moving pretty fast there ;D
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • That's one of the problems with clicker training if you use shaping. The dog thinks hey she didn't give me a click for sitting right do something else while you're trying to teach sit/stay and they're running through their trick repertoire. It depends on the dog I think some love the duration behaviours and some will not stay still long enough
  • Whoa, I'm gone for 1 day and there's a big debate without me! LOL...thanks for keeping it nice guys, I really didn't want this thread to turn into a fight. <br><br>Anyways....<br>I didn't see the episode with the bernard puppy, but I doubt Cesar would have went so far as to hurt it. Still, I believe if you're trying to get a dog to overcome a fear, (it didn't like stairs, correct?) you should be positive about it. If a toddler is afraid of swimming, you're probably not going to drag it into the pool and dunk it underwater. You would play games with it, be patient, and teach it that swimming is a positive thing. Same thing goes for dogs. I actually recall a dog on Victoria's show that was afraid of stairs. Instead of dragging it up the stairs, she would put treats near the stairs, then put them on one step, then another, and work her way up until the dog could go up the stairs. In my opinion, a dog would overcome their fear faster if they had positive memories, not memories of being dragged up them against their will. <br><br>As for teaching sit and down and stay, if my dogs don't obey me I will push their butts down or tug on their collars or whatever I need to do. Repeating yourself over and over again won't do any good, so I don't see a problem with getting physical as long as you don't hurt them. <br><br>I agree, when someone attempts any training method without experience, it could backfire. Whether it Cesar or Victoria's ways. I think a lot of people say Cesar's methods are "abuse" because they don't know the whole story. Not everything is shown on camera, and it takes a lot more time than a 60minute TV show to train a dog. I don't think Cesar's methods are abuse, I just don't agree with some of them.
    14xmkg0.png
    Goals: 13/50million VPC