Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some Vets

edited February 2011 in Vent
Today my new puppy, Koda, is getting spayed. She hasn't eaten for almost 24 hours at this point, just like the vet down the street from my house said. We dropped her off at 7:30 ish in the morning for the operation. At the moment, it is almost 4:30, and she still isn't back
even though they said the operation took less then an hour (it was started at 10:30 ish) and obviously she would need recovery time, so they estimated she would be home well before 4:00.<br><br>I called a few minutes ago, and they said she wouldn't be home until past 7:00! I understand that they could be backed up a little bit, but not for what could be four hours! It angers me that they probably haven't even started the operation even though she has been there about 9 hours! I am never going back to this veterinarian, and I am worried about Koda!
Accidentally deleted my signature :/ Whoops :0
168zzx3.jpg

Comments

• I came up with her name for you =] glad you like it =]<br>hope they arent hurting her =[
    qqz5hd.png
    I <3 Keith Urban!
  • It quite easily could be four hours if an emergency came in that needed surgery. I would say if there was a reason for you to worry, they would have told you. More than likely something else or other things have happened that was life threatening to another animal(s), which by all means would take precedence over the spaying of a healthy animal.
    <span style="background-color: rgb(255, 204, 0);">Along for the ride!</span><br>
  • I didn't think about that.....probably what happened. I just believe it is extremely unreasonable to take over 12 hours, and they wanted her to come in yesterday morning and stay for that day too. I said "no" to that, since the only reason was because they wanted to make sure we didn't feed her? I think it is crazy! <br><br>The worst part for her:<br><br>She has to wear a cone around her head for a <span style="font-style:italic"><span style="font-weight:bold"><span style="text-decoration:underline">month!</span></span></span>
    168zzx3.jpg
  • Dog Alley wrote:
    She has to wear a cone around her head for a <span style="font-style:italic"><span style="font-weight:bold"><span style="text-decoration:underline">month!</span></span></span>
    <br>how come?
    qqz5hd.png
    I <3 Keith Urban!
  • As Bama said an emergency may have came in.<br>Id rather see an animal live rather then one die because it was your dogs time to get spayed.<br>Also they could just be cautious and have the procedure all done but she could be acting a little different and they may want to keep her longer because of that.<br>That's what they did with my dog and i was happy that they cared enough to do that.
    KENDALLDREAMY.png
  • Try not to look at it so negatively, and don't fault a potentially good vet for something so simple. Times at vet offices change all the time. I've dropped animals off, and had them back home in a couple hours, and I've had to have them stay many, many hours for the same procedures. It's just like a hospital, things pop up which require more attention, so the less important problems get pushed to the bottom of the priority list. Ask yourself this, would you rather have them rush it and potentially make a mistake, or wait until they can give it their full attention?<br><br>As for the food thing, your vet is just being cautious. I wish all vets were that cautious. Surprisingly enough I've talked to quite a few people that did not know you weren't supposed to feed an animal before surgery, or didn't think it was a big deal to just give them a small treat. Any food, whether given to the animal, or found by the animal can be dangerous. Don't take it so personally, the vet most likely asks that all the animals stay if the owners will allow it.
    I'm done with VP. I'll just be around until I get all my dogs and lines placed in good hands. If you want to contact me, please do so through deviantART.
  • My chihuahua, Heaven, got spayed when she was a puppy. We didn't feed her up until the surgery. We took her in at 7:45 AM and we went and picked her up around 3 PM the NEXT day. She had to stay over night to recover from the surgery and so the vet would know she was going to react and heal correctly =) So just be glad yours was all in one day. Mine was two =(
  • It's a good thing they're making sure she doesn't eat my friend's ambull ended up very sick because she ate something before she went in to be spayed. She was in the hospital for over a week. I would guess an emergency came up or something so they couldn't do the spay on time it happens and those are far more important than an elective surgery like a spay. <br><br>How does she have to wear a cone for a month? I've only had one dog spayed but she didn't even have a cone. We were given one but were told that unless she was bothering with the stitches she didn't need to wear it. She went in in the morning and was home that evening but a spay is a big operation. The vet might just be being cautious
  • danae11 wrote:
    It's a good thing they're making sure she doesn't eat my friend's ambull ended up very sick because she ate something before she went in to be spayed. She was in the hospital for over a week. I would guess an emergency came up or something so they couldn't do the spay on time it happens and those are far more important than an elective surgery like a spay. <br><br>How does she have to wear a cone for a month? I've only had one dog spayed but she didn't even have a cone. We were given one but were told that unless she was bothering with the stitches she didn't need to wear it. She went in in the morning and was home that evening but a spay is a big operation. The vet might just be being cautious
    <br><br>Yes, some vets are just a bit more cautious than others, and thus do send recently spayed and neutered dogs home with cones. It just depends on the vet. The vets I have had never did it(probably because the majority were sterilized at an animal shelter before seeing our vet), but my sister's vet did it for their chihuahua mix. She was allowed to take it off after 2 weeks as long as the dog didn't started to bother the area.
    I'm done with VP. I'll just be around until I get all my dogs and lines placed in good hands. If you want to contact me, please do so through deviantART.
  • My puppy only had stitches in/her cone on for a week. ._. We got her spayed on Saturday, and had the stitches removed Sunday a week later. We were told she couldn't run, jump, go on long walks, or play, so she was basically crated for a week.
    2eldxsm.png
  • I have no idea about the cone thing.<br><br>I walked over to it today......they have one building for emergencies, and another for physicals, neuterings/spayings, and grooming. I really don't think that the set up is very
    organized. Technically they don't have two buildings, it is just one building with a little walkway across.<br><br>Koda came back at around Tuesday 7:30/8:00. Miserable obviously. They told me they didn't start the surgery until 6, which surprised me because I would have thought she needed to stay longer than a half hour after surgery. Since Koda just came from the shelter a little over a month ago, that cold, hard floor frightened her and when she came back she was crying until she saw my family. I felt so bad for doing that to her, even though I knew it was for a good cause.
    168zzx3.jpg
  • Alabama wrote:
    It quite easily could be four hours if an emergency came in that needed surgery. I would say if there was a reason for you to worry, they would have told you. More than likely something else or other things have happened that was life threatening to another animal(s), which by all means would take precedence over the spaying of a healthy animal.
    R.I.P Max I love you so so much my baby Chihuhuahua dog! 2005-2010
  • Beaglepaw wrote:
    Alabama wrote:
    It quite easily could be four hours if an emergency came in that needed surgery. I would say if there was a reason for you to worry, they would have told you. More than likely something else or other things have happened that was life threatening to another animal(s), which by all means would take precedence over the spaying of a healthy animal.
    <br> The original post is quite a few months old. Please try to check dates before posting a reply, unless it's something important like a question.
  • None of my dogs are nuetered or spayed and I don't plan on getting them nuetered/spayed. BUT..I have gotten my cat nuetered and it took FOREVER. I dropped him off at twelve in the morning and they didn't let me take him home until the next day.