Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Snakes!

ok so ive always loved snakes and recently ive desided maybe i would liek to get one. Ive fallen in love with the looks of a albino Ball Python. I will do my research before buying one but thought i would get VP's opinion on this type of snake and how much maybe it costs to care for one.

Comments

• I'd be wary of albino reptiles.<br>They can have skin problems and trouble regulating their body heat.<br><br>Not that I'm saying don't get one, just be mindful that he might need extra care.
  • I'd be wary of albino reptiles.<br>They can have skin problems and trouble regulating their body heat.<br><br>Not that I'm saying don't get one, just be mindful that he might need extra care.
    <br> I have to partially disagree about this. Albino reptiles that require UVA/UVB(like any diurnal lizards) should be avoided, but snakes generally do not require UVA/UVB at all, which is why they are popular and the albino mutation is widespread.<br><br> Albino ball pythons are generally fine and raised no different than a normal colored one. Albinism should not interfere with their ability to regulate their body heat, and it should not cause skin problems. Essentially they require no different care than the normal colored ones. However, some recommend keeping them from sitting in direct sunlight for long periods, but I've not heard any real evidence that letting albinos sit in the sun is harmful. Nonetheless, It's almost always best to take any reptiles outside during the morning, or evening.<br><br> Albinism can have problems in the breeding world mostly due to inbreeding, but these specimens are normally culled by responsible breeders, or die naturally on their own, so a hobbyist who keeps snakes as pets is highly unlikely to receive one.<br><br>
    ok so ive always loved snakes and recently ive desided maybe i would liek to get one. Ive fallen in love with the looks of a albino Ball Python. I will do my research before buying one but thought i would get VP's opinion on this type of snake and how much maybe it costs to care for one.
    <br><br> Well an albino ball python is probably going to run you about $500. An adult will need about a 30 gallon tank which can run you anywhere from $10-$50 depending on where you get it. The lid for your tank should have some type of locking mechanism since snakes are prone to escape. The best substrate is paper towels or reptile carpet. I recommend reptile carpet because all you have to do is hose it off, let it dry and put it back in. I recommend getting enough to alternate so that when one is drying you can have the fresh on in the cage. For heating I recommend a CHE(ceramic heat emitter), but the most common and cheaper method is a reptile UTH(under tank heater). CHE last a long time, and give off no light, but they can cost as much as $50 just for the bulb and they can dry out a tank that isn't monitored regularly. Make sure you have at least one digital probe thermometer, not the cheap little dials that stick to cages! I can't stress that enough. I'd also recommend a good hygrometer since ball pythons need a constant humidity that isn't too much or too little. If you have humidity problems, then just provide a bath or humid box(but keep an eye on it because bacteria will sprout up). Zilla makes a nice one that reads the humidity level and temperate, and from my understand it does have probes. Food shouldn't be too costly or inconvenient if your snake eats pre-killed that can be kept in a freezer. As for accessories the most important is a hide that the snake and snugly fit into; replace it as he grows. I recommend anything plastic since it is easy to clean.<br><br> You buy and set everything up with the snake you're probably looking at between $500 and $1000 depending on your choice of equipment(fancy or standard) and how cheap you can get it.
    I'm done with VP. I'll just be around until I get all my dogs and lines placed in good hands. If you want to contact me, please do so through deviantART.
    <br> I have to partially disagree about this. Albino reptiles that require UVA/UVB(like any diurnal lizards) should be avoided, but snakes generally do not require UVA/UVB at all, which is why they are popular and the albino mutation is widespread.<br><br> Albino ball pythons are generally fine and raised no different than a normal colored one. Albinism should not interfere with their ability to regulate their body heat, and it should not cause skin problems. Essentially they require no different care than the normal colored ones. However, some recommend keeping them from sitting in direct sunlight for long periods, but I've not heard any real evidence that letting albinos sit in the sun is harmful. Nonetheless, It's almost always best to take any reptiles outside during the morning, or evening.<br><br> Albinism can have problems in the breeding world mostly due to inbreeding, but these specimens are normally culled by responsible breeders, or die naturally on their own, so a hobbyist who keeps snakes as pets is highly unlikely to receive one.<br><br>
    <br><br> Well an albino ball python is probably going to run you about $500. An adult will need about a 30 gallon tank which can run you anywhere from $10-$50 depending on where you get it. The lid for your tank should have some type of locking mechanism since snakes are prone to escape. The best substrate is paper towels or reptile carpet. I recommend reptile carpet because all you have to do is hose it off, let it dry and put it back in. I recommend getting enough to alternate so that when one is drying you can have the fresh on in the cage. For heating I recommend a CHE(ceramic heat emitter), but the most common and cheaper method is a reptile UTH(under tank heater). CHE last a long time, and give off no light, but they can cost as much as $50 just for the bulb and they can dry out a tank that isn't monitored regularly. Make sure you have at least one digital probe thermometer, not the cheap little dials that stick to cages! I can't stress that enough. I'd also recommend a good hygrometer since ball pythons need a constant humidity that isn't too much or too little. If you have humidity problems, then just provide a bath or humid box(but keep an eye on it because bacteria will sprout up). Zilla makes a nice one that reads the humidity level and temperate, and from my understand it does have probes. Food shouldn't be too costly or inconvenient if your snake eats pre-killed that can be kept in a freezer. As for accessories the most important is a hide that the snake and snugly fit into; replace it as he grows. I recommend anything plastic since it is easy to clean.<br><br> You buy and set everything up with the snake you're probably looking at between $500 and $1000 depending on your choice of equipment(fancy or standard) and how cheap you can get it.
    <br><br><br>Thank you thats actually very helpfull. Ive always wanted a snake but now that I actualy have money to get one ive been thinking about either a snake or a fish tank lol. But i saw a albino on craigslist and just thought it was absalutly gorgous. I have to admit i do not really know much about snakes wich is why i would be looking into it and researching alot before buying one as i would want to provide the best care possible. Any one have opinions on where I should buy one? I wouldnt know where to start on this one except for pet stores or craigslist. Im not a huge fan of pet stores just becuase alot of them have animals from BYB and have health issues. However there is a amazing pet store in my town that gets alot of exotic animals and they take amazing care of there animals.
  • Thank you thats actually very helpfull. Ive always wanted a snake but now that I actualy have money to get one ive been thinking about either a snake or a fish tank lol. But i saw a albino on craigslist and just thought it was absalutly gorgous. I have to admit i do not really know much about snakes wich is why i would be looking into it and researching alot before buying one as i would want to provide the best care possible. Any one have opinions on where I should buy one? I wouldnt know where to start on this one except for pet stores or craigslist. Im not a huge fan of pet stores just becuase alot of them have animals from BYB and have health issues. However there is a amazing pet store in my town that gets alot of exotic animals and they take amazing care of there animals.
    <br><br>The only problem with craigslist animals is that they aren't always healthy nor tame. I'd request to meet the animal first, and if you buy it have it checked by a vet immediately.<br><br>Unless you are getting a small tank keeping fish is just as expensive! When I got my 46 gallon bow front for goldfish I did not realize how much it would cost me in the long run. Reptiles vs. Fish really just depends on what you prefer.<br><br> <a href="http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=32"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://market.kingsnake.com/index.php?cat=32</a><br>; Kingsnake is an amazing place to track down breeders and reptiles for sell.
    I'm done with VP. I'll just be around until I get all my dogs and lines placed in good hands. If you want to contact me, please do so through deviantART.
  • I have a Candy Cane Corn snake.<br>Two actually xD<br>One is in my step brothers room cause my room is too small for the two we need to have them in D;<br><br>Any way. <br>If you do get a snake.<br>Make sure you don't try to pick them up when they have eaten with like an hour or longer cause mine got really mad when i had to put new water in .<br>And try to handle them as much as you can cause they could get scared of you if you haven't held them in a couple of weeks im sure they would start liking you touching them.<br><br>Annd if any of this is wrong please correct me.<br>this is what i know about my 2 snakes .<br>Which my mom helps me take care.<br>(But i do feed them the mice. That's one thing i thinks is pretty cool . That may be weird but oh well xD )
    KENDALLDREAMY.png
  • Thanks Sushi will check that site out.<br><br><br>Also any one have suggestions on what type of snake would be good for a first time snake owner.
  • 3521 wrote:
    Thanks Sushi will check that site out.<br><br><br>Also any one have suggestions on what type of snake would be good for a first time snake owner.
    <br><br> I've heard corn snakes, ball pythons, garter snakes, sand boas, rosy boas, king snakes, and milk snakes all make good beginner pets.<br><br> You pretty much just want to avoid anything that gets large, is known to be aggressive(unless it has a small bite), or ones that have trouble in captivity.
  • I can definitely recommend a ball python as a first snake. I have three, king snake, ball python, Saharan sand boa, and used to have two corn snakes that both escaped. Out of those, I think ball pythons are the best starter snake. I actively participate in a ball python forum, so I kinda know a lot about them, haha.<br>They're great to handle, almost always calm, and just amazing pets. I really really think you ought to at least check out the caresheet and information at this site, and hopefully sign up if you're serious about getting a snake! <br>Here's the forum:<br><a href="http://ball-pythons.net/"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://ball-pythons.net/</a><br>And here's an in-depth spot-on caresheet! <br><a href="http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/Sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&id=59"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/Sec ... icle&id=59</a><br>You already have most of the information from PrinceSushi. Yeah, a male albino will be around $550 with shipping factored in (which is one-day by any seller and is very safe). But if you want to go the way with care that's both the cheapest and the best, according to almost all informed hobby breeders and keepers, is with this:<br><br><br><ul class="bb-list-unordered">First, a 16qt tub w/lid. When it grows in a year or so, move to a 32qt. If he gets any bigger, go up to 41qt. Melt or drill holes in the tub for ventilation. None of these tubs will cost more than $10. Aquariums are clunky, hard to clean, and it's hard to regulate humidity in them. Ball pythons live in termite mounds in the wild, never leaving, so they feel safest in enclosed spaces.<br>A reptile heat mat, $20<br>A thermostat! You NEED one if you are keeping a snake. These regulate the temperature of the heating element, keeping the snake from getting burned or too cold. You can get one for as cheap as $30.<br>Two hides, one for the hot side, one for the cold. They can be cardboard boxes with holes, or fancy pet store ones. So free if you wanna go cheap.<br>And substrate. You can use reptile carpet, although I personally hate using it, paper towel, newspaper, or if you wanna go decorative it could be cypress mulch or aspen wood chips. So, this too can be free (w/ newspaper or towels).<br>Use a heavy bowl from around the house for water.<br></ul><br><br>So, all of that including the albino BP will run you around $620. Pretty good, yeah? And you know you're providing the snake with the best home possible. Good luck, whatever you decide! There are also a lot of different ball python color varieties, called morphs, some of which are just as pretty as albino for a lot cheaper. Google it if you're interested.
  • I can definitely recommend a ball python as a first snake. I have three, king snake, ball python, Saharan sand boa, and used to have two corn snakes that both escaped. Out of those, I think ball pythons are the best starter snake. I actively participate in a ball python forum, so I kinda know a lot about them, haha.<br>They're great to handle, almost always calm, and just amazing pets. I really really think you ought to at least check out the caresheet and information at this site, and hopefully sign up if you're serious about getting a snake! <br>Here's the forum:<br><a href="http://ball-pythons.net/"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://ball-pythons.net/</a><br>And here's an in-depth spot-on caresheet! <br><a href="http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/Sections/index.php?op=viewarticle&id=59"; target="_blank" class="bb-url">http://www.ball-pythons.net/modules/Sec ... icle&id=59</a><br>You already have most of the information from PrinceSushi. Yeah, a male albino will be around $550 with shipping factored in (which is one-day by any seller and is very safe). But if you want to go the way with care that's both the cheapest and the best, according to almost all informed hobby breeders and keepers, is with this:<br><br><br><ul class="bb-list-unordered">First, a 16qt tub w/lid. When it grows in a year or so, move to a 32qt. If he gets any bigger, go up to 41qt. Melt or drill holes in the tub for ventilation. None of these tubs will cost more than $10. Aquariums are clunky, hard to clean, and it's hard to regulate humidity in them. Ball pythons live in termite mounds in the wild, never leaving, so they feel safest in enclosed spaces.<br>A reptile heat mat, $20<br>A thermostat! You NEED one if you are keeping a snake. These regulate the temperature of the heating element, keeping the snake from getting burned or too cold. You can get one for as cheap as $30.<br>Two hides, one for the hot side, one for the cold. They can be cardboard boxes with holes, or fancy pet store ones. So free if you wanna go cheap.<br>And substrate. You can use reptile carpet, although I personally hate using it, paper towel, newspaper, or if you wanna go decorative it could be cypress mulch or aspen wood chips. So, this too can be free (w/ newspaper or towels).<br>Use a heavy bowl from around the house for water.<br></ul><br><br>So, all of that including the albino BP will run you around $620. Pretty good, yeah? And you know you're providing the snake with the best home possible. Good luck, whatever you decide! There are also a lot of different ball python color varieties, called morphs, some of which are just as pretty as albino for a lot cheaper. Google it if you're interested.
    <br><br>Very Very Helpfull thank you! Ive only had one snake before it was a garden snake i found when i was 10, i stuck it in my little plastic swimming pool and the enxt day it was gone lmao so that was my short experience as a snake owner.
  • Haha. Welcome! Yeah, I caught those with my friend when we were little too. We used to catch bags of toads in the pond when they were breeding and release them in his backyard, and then we walked around picking up snakes while they ate the toads. It was fun.