Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When Money IS an Issue.

edited January 2009 in General Discussion
I want everyone to be mature about this honestly.<br>My horse, Journey, has been sick for a while. Not gaining weight, actually LOSING about 175lbs. Now his sheath is swollen and so are his fetlocks. He's stiff and sore. And we DID have a vet out. twice. This time we're waiting to see if it's an infection. but even if it is this is the second or third time that i've had to have the vet out for illnesses over the past 6 months. Its expensive and heartbreaking. And i know he's not comfortable. He's in his twenties and i want to know what you would do.<br>I got him in April. I've ridden him maybe a dozen times and i don't think its fair for either of us. When would you just let him go?
292acg0.jpg

Comments

• Tat, i know its hard to lose an animal, expecially one that has been around for most of your life. But as i know you've realized there comes a time when it is actually worse to keep them around than have them put out of their pain. I know its hard dear, but if i were you i would go ahead and let him go. I dont believe that when animals really start to hurt, any ammount of money can bring them back. You might be able to numb his pain but never make him healthy and happy again.<br><br>If you want to talk just know im here for you and you can pm me anytime.<br><br>Im sorry about your loss dear. :(
    Ven.png
  • I'm extremely sorry, and beleive it or not, I've been in this situation recently. My mom sent me off to my g-ma's for the week. My dogs were old and weak, in so much pain it was impossible to watch. I cried every time I had to bring the food and water to them because they couldn't get up. They were my babies, they'd been here with my mom and dad before I was born. I grew up with them. I was being selfish and kept them alive. My mom snuck to the vet and put my dog down. She called and told me while I was at mimi's. It was so hard not to cry infront of my brother and little cousin. I excused myself to the bedroom to cry forever while my mom was on the other line. She asked if whe should put Tanner, our other dog down too. He was old too and I told her yes. That was the easiest decision I've ever made. Tanner wouldn't live much longer easily, and not without Miller. I came home to 1-month-old Pepper only. I was devistated, but I thought of the future until it was here. I am able to tell that story without crying now, and i've used it in many inpirational speeches to my classes, teachers, and at the animal shelter meeting. I tell this story because I know it would make Miller and Tanner happy. I know that Tanner and Miller are happier now than they were on earth, so I'm okay too. I'm sorry to say this, but it looks like Journey is quite ready to play with Tanner and Miller. I have many other inspirational stories and advice if needed. Please pm me if you want any more consoling/ help.
    Sweatshirts - the best way of showing school spirit without getting off the couch
  • edited January 2009 68.81.138.84
    Buffy wrote:
    Tat, i know its hard to lose an animal, expecially one that has been around for most of your life. But as i know you've realized there comes a time when it is actually worse to keep them around than have them put out of their pain. I know its hard dear, but if i were you i would go ahead and let him go. I dont believe that when animals really start to hurt, any ammount of money can bring them back. You might be able to numb his pain but never make him healthy and happy again.<br><br>If you want to talk just know im here for you and you can pm me anytime.<br><br>Im sorry about your loss dear. :(
    <br><span style="font-size:75"><span style="font-weight:bold"><span style="color:indigo"><br>I agree and I'm here for you too</span></span></span>
  • He's always such a soldier about pain its hard to tell when he's really really hurting. so idk.<br>The hard part is seeing him. he acts happy and like himself alot. but sometimes i can see that that spark of life isnt there. and he's more cuddly lately. like he'll just stand there with his head on my chest comforting ME.
    292acg0.jpg