Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reptile Debate.

edited March 2007 in General Discussion
So, one of my Green Iguana’s died some time ago from an unknown illness. Cleaning out the cage, quarantine, ect… took a few months, but now we are ready to fill the large empty tank. The thing is, I don’t know if I want to try Iguana’s again, or go for something totally different. Mother has finally agreed, after much talk and such, to allow me to have a snake, non-poisonous of course. Ball Pythons are my first choice. I am the kind of person that likes large, tamable, and able to be handled animals. All my other pets include two medium sized dogs, a cat a bit large for it’s age, hamsters, and countless beta’s. My only worry with a snake is that when it get bigger, if it escapes, what it could do to my cat since they are in the same room.<br><br>I need your opinion on which I should get. Based on my personality, I am leaning towards a snake. Just post your opinion. If you have a completely different type of reptile, please post a name and link.<br><br>Some things to help:<br>-Preferred large, just not twenty feet<br>-Something tamable <br>-Pretty docile<br>-Won’t bite the living daylights out of my hand<br>-Unique<br><br>Thanks for any help ahead of time.
I ish Mousie!
107m9h4.jpg

Comments

• Ball Python's are great
    53a71ip.gif
  • Thanks for your input ^^
    I ish Mousie!
    107m9h4.jpg
  • corn snakes<br>or rat snakes<br><br>we had some at a nature center that we took off the side of the road, after a few days, they were completely able to be handled. dont get young corn snakes though, they tend to be rather vicious sometimes, i only got bit by a young one, it got me about six times every time i held it.
    The banners or pictures in this signature exceeded size limits and were removed ~ Staff
  • No Problem, You should try some Snakes,Frogs, And Animals like that Because to me it seem like thats the kind of animals you are Interested in
    53a71ip.gif
  • corn snakes :) <br><br>they very pretty and easy to tame<br><br>or a bearded dragon <br><br>my auntie has my sisters old one it was very tame and they had a cat and it was fine and the dog was ever fine with it after a good sniff <br>(my sister only got ride of it due to her having a bady and no time for play with it)
  • I had a green Iguana, he was tame. But with Iguana's, you have to handle them quite often, or they start snapping you with their tail (it hurts really bad) <br><br>My Iguana is now 2 feet+ and lives with my dad. <br><br>We fed him banana's (don't feed these to them all the time, use them as a treat) and I can't remember what else we fed him, some leafy green stuff(not letuce) <br><br><br>So, unless you plan on handling the Iguana alot, I would try to get an animal that you don't have to handle alot.<br><br>Also, my cousin has a bearded dragon, and he's very tame. He'll lie on your shoulder and you can walk around like that. She also has two turtles, well, she did until they died.<br><br>But that's my input :-)
  • Ball pythons make wonderful pets<br>they grow to be any where from 3-5 feet and won't beable to do anything to a cat fro it is too large. ball pythons are also very gental, rarely biting, which dosen''t hurt even if they do. they can be a bit shy hence the name ball python because they ball up. corn snakes t some may seem better looking but the problem with them is feeding. they can be very picky and snice they are not as durable as the pythons, they are more likely to get themselves into truble with feeding. ball pythons are also compatable with eachother as long as you seperate during feeding time. they are also great for begginers because thye are easy keepers. the only reason i would try and talk you out of a sanke is for the fallowing reasons<br>1 young children who can often if not watched hurth the snake <br>2 not being able to get to a pet store every 8-14 days<br>3 weak stomech ( you must be fully perpared to dealwith and handel death when taking on a carnivorus reptile)<br>4 no one is willing to sead the dead frozen food either being thawed in pots or sitting in the freezer<br>5 you are not willing to buy a animal for the sole purpose of killing it<br><br>I know alot when it comes to snakes, there is a herpatoligist (snake breeder) in the family i own and keep snakes and have talked to the public about them. please contact me if you have any questions
  • I have a silly question... are there any snakes that aren't carnivours
    2mhssbd.png
  • [totallyofftopic]<br><br>Okies, I know some may not like this idea, but how about a turantuala? They're really low-mantinence and don't need much attention, yet are uber fun to play with.<br><br>Other than than, I've heard ball pythons are great pets also!<br><br>[/totallyofftopic]
    24z98qe.jpg
  • Ball Pythons take the lead. <br><br>I've raised many lizards before, but never a snake. So, whoot to new experiances.<br><br>As for tarantulas, spiders are across the line, along with scorpions. Trust me, I've tried my luck with getting one. Good suggestion though ^^
    I ish Mousie!
    107m9h4.jpg
  • no all snakes eat meat though some reptile are herbavoirs and omniviors. snakes are prety low matinance, clean cage once a month and feed every 8-14 days. water evry third day depending on dish.
  • I have a corn snake and she is very friendly and docile by nature, they can get up to 6 feet but not thick and heavy like a python. And they aren't constrictors, they probably would only bite your cat, theres no way a corn snake could eat a cat. <br>Pythons are, I hear, great pets too, except I've heard of several instances of pythons and boas killing their owners or their owner's other pets cause they squeezed too tight or were hungry and got loose.<br> I've never owned a iguana, but my adopted brother across the road had one, she was a nasty thing -- she even chased cars XD She'd get loose, get outside and chase the suckers. But that lead to her tail getting run over. It got to the point where Jay had to sell her. <br><br>Whichever pet you choose is your choice, I'm sure you'd provide a great home for any of them ^^ Good luck and I hope you enjoy your new companion!
    Bye.
  • I am most likely going for another Green Iguana, since mother is halfway insane with the thought of having a snake in the house. (hopefully it works this time.) Instead of a large pet shop, we are going to a privatly owned one that has much better looking animals. The few animals I wanted were:<br><br>Male Ball Python || 8 feet|| $49. 99<br>Green Iguana || 2 feet|| $29.9 <span style="color:red">Sale</span> $19.99<br>Macaw || 20 years || $2500 (yea right)
    I ish Mousie!
    107m9h4.jpg
  • a ball python 8 feet? i woudl question that the petstore sexed and identifyed the species corectly.<br><br>the largest i have ever come across was a six foot female. (females are larger than the males)<br><br>just more useless imput.
  • I thought the same thing. When we go to get my new addition, I'm going to ask about it. Maybe they simply put it in a Python's cage because it's other one was to small (just shooting in the dark.)
    I ish Mousie!
    107m9h4.jpg